Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 05:38 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Is this thread for real? How do you want to move into harlem and not notice it is primarily Black and Latino?
Probably listening to and believing real estate broker bs about how diverse it has become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 05:38 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwestsider View Post
So I guess most of the new (i.e., white) families send their kids to private school. Then again, maybe the lower grades of the public schools are more mixed than the middle and upper grades. Maybe it's just a matter of time.
Just a matter of time? You mean until it's gentrified to a more acceptable level for you? Or, did you mean until the neighborhood of working class people of color are again, priced out of their neighborhood?

Last edited by makossa; 05-31-2011 at 05:49 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 05:48 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Ah..another white person who wants their kid away from the blacks and hispanics.
Oh no, that couldn't be. Look, here's the last paragraph of his original post:

"I know someone out there will think I'm a racist for daring to ask these provocative questions. Well, spare me. I'm not a racist; I'm a realist. I don't object (at all) to a mixed race school, but I do not want my child to be the token white kid."

See, he doesn't object, at all, mind you, to a mixed race school. He even said 50/50 was cool somewhere in the OP. I'm really glad there's no objection. He even said he's not a racist but a realist, with a world class NY education!

mrmondaynight, what world do these people come from?

Old 05-31-2011, 05:57 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post

"I know someone out there will think I'm a racist for daring to ask these provocative questions. Well, spare me. I'm not a racist; I'm a realist. I don't object (at all) to a mixed race school, but I do not want my child to be the token white kid."

See, he doesn't object, at all, mind you, to a mixed race school. He even said 50/50 was cool somewhere in the OP. I'm really glad there's no objection. He even said he's not a racist but a realist, with a world class NY education!

Hah, who knows where they come from, but it'd be great if they stayed there.

"Will a WHITE child who attends a public school in this district be in the minority (i.e., compared to black and Hispanic children)? I don't mind 50/50, but I might mind 90/10. I don't want my child to feel different."

I wonder if this poster realizes that there are "token" black and Hispanic kids in 90% white schools and they come out just fine without feeling outcast or ashamed of their race. Unless there's absolutely nothing else to this poster's kid besides his whiteness, I'm sure he'll be fine.
Though, I wouldn't recommend sending the child to a majority black or Hispanic school if he shares any of his parent's mindset (if you have to put a disclaimer that you're "not racist"...come on). Just for the sake of the black and Hispanic kids.

I don't know what you'll do if you manage to find a 100% white school and your kid is still a minority because he isn't in the right "crowd".

Old 05-31-2011, 06:02 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
This thread has turned into a nightmare for the OP lol

Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
I was the token black kid in many white schools and I hated it. I completely understand where the OP is coming from. I've been scouring census tracts to find a place where our mixed family will feel comfortable.

However, is the OP's quest realistic? Hell to the no. But as others have suggested, check insideschools.org and check out the mix and also the percentage of kids who receive free lunch. Poverty is a much higher indicator of achievement than color.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:29 PM

7 posts, read 10,592 times
I let you know that I am white, because that was the relevant variable. If you look at InsideSchools.org, for example, you will see that they show the percentage of students in each school who are white, black, Hispanic, and so on. They are not racist for providing this data, are they?

Old 05-31-2011, 06:35 PM

7 posts, read 10,592 times
If I were a racist, I would have married a white woman. Not only is my wife NOT white, she's not a US citizen. So can you try to focus on my questions now?

1) Can my child attend ANY public school in the area?

2) Which are the best (as measured by state testings and graduation rates)?

3) ANSWERED: Yes.

4) Are ANY of the public schools in this district performing well? Or do they all have low performing teachers, overcrowded classrooms, poor curriculum, unchallenged students, poor state test scores, and low graduation rates?

Old 05-31-2011, 06:36 PM

205 posts, read 507,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Hah, who knows where they come from, but it'd be great if they stayed there.

"Will a WHITE child who attends a public school in this district be in the minority (i.e., compared to black and Hispanic children)? I don't mind 50/50, but I might mind 90/10. I don't want my child to feel different."

I wonder if this poster realizes that there are "token" black and Hispanic kids in 90% white schools and they come out just fine without feeling outcast or ashamed of their race. Unless there's absolutely nothing else to this poster's kid besides his whiteness, I'm sure he'll be fine.
Though, I wouldn't recommend sending the child to a majority black or Hispanic school if he shares any of his parent's mindset (if you have to put a disclaimer that you're "not racist"...come on). Just for the sake of the black and Hispanic kids.

I don't know what you'll do if you manage to find a 100% white school and your kid is still a minority because he isn't in the right "crowd".
That kid would get eatin' alive in Harlem and you know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I was the token black kid in many white schools and I hated it. I completely understand where the OP is coming from. I've been scouring census tracts to find a place where our mixed family will feel comfortable.

However, is the OP's quest realistic? Hell to the no. But as others have suggested, check insideschools.org and check out the mix and also the percentage of kids who receive free lunch. Poverty is a much higher indicator of achievement than color.
And the truth shall set you free!!!!!!! I have exercised the demons! This house in now clear. LOL

Old 05-31-2011, 06:40 PM

448 posts, read 685,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwestsider View Post
If I were a racist, I would have married a white woman. Not only is my wife NOT white, she's not a US citizen. So can you try to focus on my questions now?

1) Can my child attend ANY public school in the area?

2) Which are the best (as measured by state testings and graduation rates)?

3) ANSWERED: Yes.

4) Are ANY of the public schools in this district performing well? Or do they all have low performing teachers, overcrowded classrooms, poor curriculum, unchallenged students, poor state test scores, and low graduation rates?
I don't think anyone thinks you're racist. It's just that if all you cared about was your child going to a good school, with a good curriculum, and good test scores........... why did u need to mention he was white? Who cares what color your kid is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City