Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 05:30 PM

205 posts, read 507,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I don't know about that; I didn't know anybody when I got hired and neither did anyone that got hired with me. We all just saw an opening online and applied for it.

eh...I believe you. Its what he told me. I really dont care much for him anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 05:45 PM

87 posts, read 204,779 times
I don't really care that financial analysts, Port Authority workers, or crane operators make a lot of money. I don't even care in the cases when they make more money than I do, or when they are paid out of tax dollars. What's mostly wrong with this country is people who are lower middle class living like they are upper middle class. That's what reached out and messed with my bottom line, and the bottom lines of many other people, a few years ago.

And I'm afraid it might be the tip of the iceberg. If market or government forces rein in the consumer credit market it could have a catastrophic ripple effect all over again. As a member of the F&B industry I see people living beyond their means every day in my work. It's like an epidemic in this city. What will happen to the rest of us when it catches up to them? I never thought about the big picture when I first read about these zipperheads taking out adjustable mortgages. "Their funeral," I thought. Now look at where the country is because of this.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
If those figures are accurate, they are seriously skewed by a few things. Crane operators may make $400,000, same with pilots that bring the ships into harbor. They are very specialized jobs and there is no place to learn it other than on the job, making it hard to get into but also hard to replace someone. There may also be a lot of overtime included.

I think you will find that the administrative assistant, accountant or HR rep employees makes about the same as city and county employees.

Most public agencies, due to public disclosure law, have their salaries available online. If not, anyone can request them and simply pay for the copying costs.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:43 PM

14 posts, read 34,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkBorough View Post
What's mostly wrong with this country is people who are lower middle class living like they are upper middle class.
Mind elaborating further? I'm slow.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:41 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91939 View Post
Mind elaborating further? I'm slow.
I think he's getting at people trying live above their means by taking out ridiculous lines of credit, compounded by financial institutions that were more than happy to loan to people that didn't have the means to pay it back.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:48 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I don't know about that; I didn't know anybody when I got hired and neither did anyone that got hired with me. We all just saw an opening online and applied for it.

Also keep in mind that we don't get any taxpayer money. While tolls are the most visible way that the Port gets money, I believe it makes more money in aircraft landing fees, but I'd have to check on that. In any case, there are a lot of other sources than just tolls.
PA gets zero tax revenue, so the Empire State guy in the Post article pontificating about how we have to watch where our tax dollars go makes no sense. The biggest source of revenue has always been the airports--airline leases, retail, takeoff and landing fees, etc. Used to be 62 percent of their revenue, but that has been dropping somewhat since the recession. Other revenues are the tolls for the two tunnels and four bridges, port fees/leases at Port Newark and Port Elizabeth, fees from the bus companies using the PABT and GWBBS and retail in those terminals, too. PATH operates at a loss and always has.

If you read the article, it says that the average PA base salary is $79K. It looks as if the police OT is what bumps it up to the $90K.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:23 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Most public agencies, due to public disclosure law, have their salaries available online. If not, anyone can request them and simply pay for the copying costs.
Here you go

Old 07-02-2011, 09:29 PM

156 posts, read 327,140 times
Salad Maker.... Make 42000 a yr... not bad..

Old 07-03-2011, 10:33 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trag672 View Post
Salad Maker.... Make 42000 a yr... not bad..
There's always good money in 'tossing salad' lmfao

Old 07-03-2011, 10:48 AM

420 posts, read 804,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkBorough View Post
I don't really care that financial analysts, Port Authority workers, or crane operators make a lot of money. I don't even care in the cases when they make more money than I do, or when they are paid out of tax dollars. What's mostly wrong with this country is people who are lower middle class living like they are upper middle class. That's what reached out and messed with my bottom line, and the bottom lines of many other people, a few years ago.

And I'm afraid it might be the tip of the iceberg. If market or government forces rein in the consumer credit market it could have a catastrophic ripple effect all over again. As a member of the F&B industry I see people living beyond their means every day in my work. It's like an epidemic in this city. What will happen to the rest of us when it catches up to them? I never thought about the big picture when I first read about these zipperheads taking out adjustable mortgages. "Their funeral," I thought. Now look at where the country is because of this.
Yup, totally right. There's an unbelievable epidemic of entitlement in this country. I see it everyday at work; I have tons of patients who feel as if the government owes them a good life. And don't get me started on people who don't have health insurance but come to their appoinment with a brand-new Iphone and ask me if I watch "True Blood" on HBO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City