Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 PM

117 posts, read 344,550 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Thanks,

Having lived in New York City for a long time on and off (though I also spent much time in Hawaii as a child) , I have noticed that odly some neighborhoods and places remind me of other cities or countries for reasons other than the obbvious one(the culture).

For instance, Jamaica Queens is obviously Jamacian in terms of culture and people, however, by coincidence it is also Jamacian in terms of geography:

1. Like Jamacia, there are commercial areas with a large residential hill above. Notice above one of the main drags, Hillside Avenue, you see a quiet hill of houses and when you see the cars go by with Jamacians, it reminds you of people driving up the hill of Jamacia.

2. You see houses with small basketball courts just like Jamacia.

3. For some reason perhaps because of the Hill and the distance from skyscrapers the warm weather during feels more like Carribean heat rather than New York Manhattan skycraper more dry heat.

4. In the back area of South Jamaciia, rather than Manhattans grid there are miles of side streets just like Jamaica.

5. Additionally, you see small Jamacian businesses of course. However, the buildings are low lying enough just like Jamaica. You could even film a back street with the indie beef patyshops and have it pass for Kingston.

Two briefer examples:

1. In Chinatown, besides Chineese culture, the smog from the massive bridge traffic, the very steep hill and seeing the big bridge next to the Chineese factories remind me slightly in the summer of Hong Kong's geography.

2. Red Hook, besides containing many people of African descent, with the sea breeze, old fashioned ports, and many cargo ships reminds one of a developing African Country's port city.

My question is: Are there any neighborhoods that remind you of places out of New York or even other countries based on the physical setup.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 09:14 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,363,398 times
China Town - China

Old 06-28-2011, 09:50 PM

34,142 posts, read 47,382,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevechang103 View Post
For instance, Jamaica Queens is obviously Jamacian in terms of culture and people
No, Jamaica Queens is nothing like Jamaica the island....I've been to both

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-29-2011, 12:16 AM

82 posts, read 254,445 times
The word "Jamaica" as in Queens is named after the Jameco Native American tribe, don't think that is related to Jamaica. Or so I believe.

Parts of SoHo and lower Manhattan feel distinctly European to me, physically.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:28 AM

180 posts, read 335,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
China Town - China

Old 06-29-2011, 07:05 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,587,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevechang103 View Post
For instance, Jamaica Queens is obviously Jamacian in terms of culture and people, however, by coincidence it is also Jamacian in terms of geography:

"The neighborhood of Jamaica is completely unrelated to the Caribbean nation of Jamaica; the name similarity is a coincidence. The Lenape were the Native Americans living in the area when the English took it over in 1664, and named it "Jameco" after a Lenape language word for "beaver"."

Personally I also don't find Jamaica similar to Jamaica the country.

But yes occasionally different parts of the city can remind me of some other cities I have been to.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:36 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,134,785 times
East 6th Street between Second and First seem VERY much like the Newport section of Jersey City.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:06 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,639,520 times
Brooklyn is named for Breuckelen, a town in the Netherlands dating back to the 12th century. It seems that when the first Dutch settlers got here, they thought the local topography looked just like Breuckelen--and so they named it for home!

Old 06-29-2011, 01:15 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,242,435 times
queens seems to be similiar to NE Philly. urban, yet almost suburban in some parts. similar style 2 story rowhomes. and the neighborhood really do look alike.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:24 PM

961 posts, read 2,466,303 times
If it had political boundaries and wasn't a theoretical place, I'd say Far Rockaway resembles purgatory both demographically and physically. (sorry seventh)

and Times Square is consumerist Hell.

Last edited by twist07; 06-29-2011 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: times square
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City