Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:46 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
So it will be just like here at home then. Thats ok though, Im used to that. lol Was hoping for a break from the heat, but whatever.
The difference is that the asphalt sidewalks and close proximity of the buildings (not to mention the exhaust from the traffic) ALWAYS makes the City feel more unpleasantly hot than almost anywhere else.
Also - you asked about Taxi's. Since you are staying in the Penn Station area, there is a Taxi stand right outside of Madison Square Garden/Penn Station which is right across the street from the Hotel Pennsylvania. It's usually pretty organized. You just stand in line and Taxis roll right up to the curb.
And most importantly, just be aware of your surroundings and who's around you and hang on to your bag/purse at all times and you'll be fine.
Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 01:48 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,537 times
As for restaurants - a great resource is Yelp. If you have a smart phone download the APP. I swear by it. It's a great resource as it includes pricing and reviews. New York Restaurants, Dentists, Bars, Beauty Salons, Doctors

Old 07-12-2011, 06:27 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
Actually that's incorrect.
Clothing and footwear under $110 are exempt from New York City's 4.5% sales tax. Starting on April 1, 2011, clothing and footwear under $55 will be exempt from the entire sales tax.
Sales and Use Tax
No, I am correct. The PRICE of the item is the same no matter which macy's you are shopping. I then said you would pay sales tax.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:12 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Quote:
As for restaurants - a great resource is Yelp. If you have a smart phone download the APP. I swear by it. It's a great resource as it includes pricing and reviews. New York Restaurants, Dentists, Bars, Beauty Salons, Doctors
No smart phone here. I refuse to pay the $100 a month bill.

Quote:
And most importantly, just be aware of your surroundings and who's around you and hang on to your bag/purse at all times and you'll be fine.
Enjoy!
This is the reason I carry a cross-body bag with one top pocket that is kept zipped and snapped...and if I am in a major city, the valuables are shoved in the bottom of Nature's Purse...Not on the side, but underneath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
The prices at Macy's are the same no matter what Macy's you are shopping at. The only thing that changes is the sales tax.

Also, I'd rather die than go into that tourist hell hole.
Um, I work for a Macys here. Hence my reason for wanting to visit one of the bigger ones. I also likely get a better deal than most depending on the item, because my 20% is regardless of what other discounts/sales are going on. I get any running sales/discounts + my 20% on anything in any Macys anywhere....SO, you'll see my reasons for taking a peek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I thought they where tearing that hotel down. It's SO disgusting.
Well, I wont be spending alot of time in it..and $800 for flight +hotel for the week is pretty unbeatable for the location. I'll pack fabreeze and bug spray just in case. Im not coming to NYC to spend a bunch of money, Im coming because I have to.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,498 times
Quote:
I'll be attending a class at GIA near Times Square, and staying in the Pennsylvania Hotel, close to Macys.

Any decent, cheap restaurants I should try? Streets to avoid? My class starts at 9 and ends at 5.

How long does it usually take to flag down a taxi?? Does anybody know how long this walk will be for me everyday?

Also, how hot does it get in the city in August? Keep in mind I am used to 95 degree temperatures with lots of humidity, so when you mention hot I think of worse that what Im used to...

Im looking forward to looking at Macys though. I get a 20% discount on anything in the store.
K-town is right near Macy's! Lots of reasonable and yummy Korean food on 32nd street between 5th and b'way. Check yelp or menupages for reviews and price ranges. Some of the restaurants on the street are expensive, others are really cheap, and there's a Korean grocery store on that street where you can pick up some neat treats. I used to go to Woorijip for lunch when I worked in the area a few years ago, sadly I visited it again the other weekend and their food has gone downhill.

If you walk down 32nd Ktown area, don't let the Korean lettering all over stores and menus scare you. Some great eats to be found there, and most waiters are happy to translate the menu and describe the items.

If you're adventurous I'd recommend trying beef knee cartilage, omfg that was amazing. Just one warning, Korean cuisine has a LOT of spicy dishes. If you don't like a lot of heat, just ask which dishes aren't spicy or if you can order something in a mild version.

Last edited by Alkonost; 07-12-2011 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: spicy warning

Old 07-13-2011, 07:07 PM

542 posts, read 1,479,215 times
People are such alarmists. You sound like you are intelligent and have common sense; you will be fine. Bug spray isn't going to help you for bed bugs (if that's what you meant). It won't be 95 @ 9 am so you will be fine in the am. Curious why you don't get a metro card instead of spending all of that money on cabs if you are trying to be thrifty? It would also give you more options to travel around for inexpensive eats. $29 for a 7 day unlimited ride MTA metrocard.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:21 PM

Also it is too bad you don't have a smartphone because the GPS on it being in NYC is priceless, especially with subway info. But you can figure out some of it ahead of time by going to MTA trip planner online (you can put in your dates and travel times; keep in mind the info could be subject to change due to construction, trains being down, etc...but in general pretty reliable). Also use google trip planner for walking directions (you can do this ahead of your trip online). NYC is pretty easy to figure out getting around once you are doing it, but don't ever hesitate to ask people for directions (obvs looking for people that don't look like tourists). Despite some of the supposed snarkiness that can appear on this forum and alarmist advice, New Yorkers in general are very friendly and extremely helpful.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:24 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times
Quote:
No smart phone here. I refuse to pay the $100 a month bill.

This is the reason I carry a cross-body bag with one top pocket that is kept zipped and snapped...and if I am in a major city, the valuables are shoved in the bottom of Nature's Purse...Not on the side, but underneath.

Um, I work for a Macys here. Hence my reason for wanting to visit one of the bigger ones. I also likely get a better deal than most depending on the item, because my 20% is regardless of what other discounts/sales are going on. I get any running sales/discounts + my 20% on anything in any Macys anywhere....SO, you'll see my reasons for taking a peek.

Well, I wont be spending alot of time in it..and $800 for flight +hotel for the week is pretty unbeatable for the location. I'll pack fabreeze and bug spray just in case. Im not coming to NYC to spend a bunch of money, Im coming because I have to.
You will really enjoy Macy's Herald Square. Especially the shoe department if you are into shoes.....very nice selection of merchandise and the store is very big.

While you are here try not to spend your time in taxis everywhere. Experience the subway and just walk around so you can get a true feel for NYC. There are tons of things to do and see. Also to walk from Times Square (42nd street) to where your hotel is (34th street) is an 8 block walk....very doable so taxi would be unnecessary.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:31 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
People are such alarmists. You sound like you are intelligent and have common sense; you will be fine. Bug spray isn't going to help you for bed bugs (if that's what you meant). It won't be 95 @ 9 am so you will be fine in the am. Curious why you don't get a metro card instead of spending all of that money on cabs if you are trying to be thrifty? It would also give you more options to travel around for inexpensive eats. $29 for a 7 day unlimited ride MTA metrocard.

Bed bugs?!?!?!??!

People have been telling me to stay away from the subway if I dont know where Im going...which I dont. There's no public transportation here at all, so Im out of my comfort zone...just alotabit.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Bed bugs?!?!?!??!

People have been telling me to stay away from the subway if I dont know where Im going...which I dont. There's no public transportation here at all, so Im out of my comfort zone...just alotabit.
I thought that is why you mentioned the bug spray.

What "people" have been telling you to avoid it if you don't know it? Nobody knows it until they use it for the first time. It is far more logical to use the subway then cab it everywhere. It will be a new experience and good for you. Just be alert, you can't really get permanently lost. There are MTA employees and most stations to ask questions plus maps. If you get stuck, you can ask people at the stations waiting for the train..most people will be nice and offer help. Like I said, you can also track routes @ MTA Trip planner ahead of time. It would be kind of a shame and silly to come all the way to nyc and not ride the subway at all. There is so much you could access (including Queens and Brooklyn).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City