Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Talking about Ridgewood, "While most of these Puerto Ricans are second and third generation, there is a group of Puerto Rican people that are moving into areas like these, purchasing homes or buying condos, or renting in these areas and further continuing to spread out throughout the city... They are not growing in numbers in areas where they at one point were heavy which is why they may not receive the attention that other incoming groups receive but they are still coming in..."

the statement in bold is why there isn't one location that is concentrated with high income PR's but they do tend to blend in with any crowd and that is why we don't hear about them but once again the population is still the second largest hispanic population in this city behind dominicans...
I could've sworn that I read that Puerto Ricans were still the largest Hispanic group. (On a side note, I remember reading something about Mexicans in Bushwick, and it linked to an article that listed the median income for the different Hispanic groups. I remember it was something like $28,000 for Dominincans, $32,000 for Puerto Ricans, $42,000 for Mexicans, and something like $50,000-$60,000 for Cubans)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 01:21 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
I didn't even know there were cubans in bushwick... and to your first statement as far as I know dominicans took over the #1 spot a few years ago and have remained at the top...

Old 07-19-2011, 01:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
It wasn't referring to Cubans in Bushwick, but Cubans in NYC overall. The article about Bushwick linked to an article about the different Hispanic groups (since Bushwick has a large Hispanic population)

Old 07-19-2011, 02:22 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Ok, people, disregard my last percentages. Those were out of all hispanics in the area. The following percentages are in comparison to the whole neighborhood. As we see, west of the Bronx River, Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are pretty much even. The difference in the populations lies east of the Bronx river. Dominicans haven't really ventured out there yet, resulting in a Puerto Rican massacre.

Source: Detailed Tables - American FactFinder

Remember, these percentages are the whole neighborhood, and not just hispanics.

West of Bronx River

CD 1+2 (Mott Haven, Melrose, Hunts Point, Longwood)

34% Puerto Rican/16% Dominican

CD 3+6 (Morrisania, CPE, West Farms, East Tremont)

30% Puerto Rican/17% Dominican

CD 4 (Concourse, Highbridge)

19% Puerto Rican/30% Dominican

CD 5 (Morris Heights, Tremont, University Heights, Fordham)

22% Puerto Rican/32% Dominican

CD 7 ( University Heights, Fordham-Bedford, Bedford Park, Norwood)

22% Puerto Rican/24% Dominican

CD 8 ( Riverdale, Spuyten Duvil, Kingsbridge, Marble Hill)

12% Puerto Rican/18% Dominican

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

East of Bronx River

CD 9 (Soundview, Castle Hill, Parkchester)

32% Puerto Rican/11% Dominican

CD 10 (Throggs Neck, Co-op, City Island)

20% Puerto Rican/3% Dominican

CD 11 (Pelham Parkway, Morris Park)

21% Puerto Rican/8% Dominican

CD 12 (Wakefield, Williamsbridge)

11% Puerto Rican/4% Dominican

Old 07-19-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Talking about Ridgewood, "While most of these Puerto Ricans are second and third generation, there is a group of Puerto Rican people that are moving into areas like these, purchasing homes or buying condos, or renting in these areas and further continuing to spread out throughout the city... They are not growing in numbers in areas where they at one point were heavy which is why they may not receive the attention that other incoming groups receive but they are still coming in..."

the statement in bold is why there isn't one location that is concentrated with high income PR's but they do tend to blend in with any crowd and that is why we don't hear about them but once again the population is still the second largest hispanic population in this city behind dominicans...
That's totally wrong. Where do you get this stuff from? Puerto Ricans are comfortably ahead. The Dominican emigration has slowed to a snail's pace since 2000. What you're seeing now is the spread of Dominicans already in the city, not new ones coming from the island.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:31 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
You're correct I was misinformed but they are still #1 and #2 in the city as largest hispanic populations and I don't know where you get that dominicans moving in have halted to a snail's pace. maybe where you live but not so much throughout the city...

Fast-Growing Dominican Population on Track To Become Largest Latino Group in New York City – CUNY Newswire – CUNY

domincans are supposed to take over the largest hispanic group very soon...

Old 07-19-2011, 02:42 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
The indicator is that the dominican immigration has slowed down. Even though the growth has slowed the dominican population in nyc is still growing. I do believe after the next census in 2020 dominicans, will be the largest hispanic group in the city. I hear more and more spanish on the streets of mott haven all the time its either from Dominicans or Mexicans

Old 07-19-2011, 03:42 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Ok, people, disregard my last percentages. Those were out of all hispanics in the area. The following percentages are in comparison to the whole neighborhood. As we see, west of the Bronx River, Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are pretty much even. The difference in the populations lies east of the Bronx river. Dominicans haven't really ventured out there yet, resulting in a Puerto Rican massacre.

Source: Detailed Tables - American FactFinder
I remember Puerto Ricans made up 17% of the population in Zip Code 11385 [Ridgewood/Glendale] in 2000. I would imagine the majority of them live in Ridgewood so that would probably make Ridgewood around 25-30% Puerto Rican.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:28 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,414 times
I've been wondering if PRs are still immigrating to NYC. From anon1's post, it seems like there are new Puerto Ricans arrivin. Considering how long PRs have been in NYC I think it's pretty cool they still have a major presence coming in the city. I don't see the PR-NYC connection dying anytime soon.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I remember Puerto Ricans made up 17% of the population in Zip Code 11385 [Ridgewood/Glendale] in 2000. I would imagine the majority of them live in Ridgewood so that would probably make Ridgewood around 25-30% Puerto Rican.
I actually just did Ridgewood. I took the numbers from Qn district # 5, which includes Maspeth, Glendale, and a few other places. Anyways, in comparison to the entire neighborhood:

13% Puerto Rican/4% Dominican
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City