Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,719 times

Advertisements

I am planning to buy my first home and have 2 kids one is 3 years old and the other one is 1 year old. I need feedback from everyone regarding good schoolings, neighborhoods, shopping, & commute to Manhattan. I have been to few areas so far I highly encourage feedback for these areas in particular;
Graniteville
Bulls Head,
West New Brighton,
Sunnyside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 03:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
I live in one of the areas you mentioned (I've heard it called both Bulls Head and Graniteville)

School: The elementary schools in the area are good. In fact P.S.22 (on Forest Avenue) is well-known for having a good chorus (in fact, they went to Hollywood or something, so they're really well-known).

Further south, there is P.S.60, which is also a very good school. It isn't well-known or anything, but it's been mentioned (positively) in the newspaper a few times.

For middle school, the zoned school is I.S. 72 if you live south of the Staten Island Expressway (SIE). If you live north of the SIE, you're child will be zoned for I.S.51, which has a bad reputation (I mean, some people overhype it, but it isn't known as one of the better schools. I.S. 72 is about average, and I.S.51 is below average for Staten Island)

Also, if your child goes to I.S. 72, they put some emphasis on learning languages. They offer Spanish, Italian, and French (though they might get rid of French), and they don't put that much emphasis at I.S.51)

The high school is Port Richmond High School (though your child can technically go to schools all over NYC). They put too much pressure on the students, in my opinion (as a student there). They feel that a lot of kids will drop out if they don't keep up the pressure (I mean, they aren't completely wrong, but they're blowing it out of proportion).

There is also a school near the SI Mall, but I don't know much about it.

For shopping, there are some small stores (pharmacies, delis, and things like that) along Richmond Avenue, and there are a few shopping plazas (one by Lander Avenue, and the other by Victory Blvd). You can also go up to Forest Avenue for some more shopping choices.

The predominant way of getting to Manhattan is by express bus. The X17 gets to Lower Manhattan in 30 minutes, and Midtown in about 60 minutes. During rush hour, the Midtown buses run through NJ and get you there in about 45 minutes.

The fare is $5.50 per trip, or $50 for a weekly pass.

The X17 runs weekdays and Saturdays. However, there is another route (the X10) that runs 7 days per week.

See the SI bus map: http://mta.info/nyct/maps/bussi.pdf

Old 08-16-2011, 11:57 AM

51 posts, read 99,397 times
Default Staten Island

It would help greatly if you knew how much you wanted to spend, and what type of home you were looking for. Also, how will you be commuting to work? (Xbus, Ferry, Drive)... I can give you my two cents with a little more info.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,719 times
Default Staten Island Info

I am working in Midtown Manhattan, will be commuting via express bus, budget close to 300K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: