Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:20 PM

20 posts, read 42,287 times

Advertisements

This may be a no brainer to many, but please hear out my dilemma, and I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions!

I'm looking to purchase an apartment in Manhattan, and had fallen deeply in love with UWS. However, my experience with the city isn't that plentiful, and is limited to midtown, midtown west, UWS, UES, soho and Chinatown. This reason being.. work keeps me way too busy to see other parts of the city. :roll eyes: The two main criteria I had in mind for the apartment was in unit washer-dryer, and ample, ample light. The first condition usually limits me to new developments, so with that in mind.. my broker actually showed me a brand new apartment in Gramercy (at 24th and Lex) today that I fell in love with (what's not to love about new apartments?).

Therein lies my dilemma. Should I go for this new apartment (that satisfies all my requirements and then some) at 24th and Lex, or hold out for a not new (but not disgusting) apartment that I will partially renovate (kitchen and bathroom and new wooden floors come to mind) between 59th - 72nd along Broadway? I love the "walking neighborhood" feeling of UWS, especially the 72nd area. The multiple grocery stores (I cook Chinese food, extensively), the lack of hordes of tourists (currently live near TS and am so sick of it), the cute street vendors, the lack of people handing out fliers, and the multitude of stores (aka Banana Republic and the like, usually labeled as bland but I like these types of stores). The fact that it's accessible by the 1, 2, 3 and ACE doesn't hurt at all. Also love being near so much greenery.

I am very unfamiliar with the Gramercy area -- the closest grocery store that I would prefer to frequent is TJ's at 22nd and 6th -- and that seems a bit far from 24th and Lex (or is it? I've always felt that avenues are smaller on the east side, is this a hallucination?). What other decent grocery stores are around 24th and Lex? How does the area do in terms of tourists, stores, and lack of people handing out fliers? This location is much closer to K Town than UWS, which is a plus. How is safety, and availability of gyms? Since the area tends to be younger, does it turn into a huge college town on weekends? The closest subway being a 6 stop is a slight hindrance, but is it enough to become a deal breaker?

Please feel free to add anything else you think may be helpful, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 10:46 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,775 times
Have you walked around Gramercy to see if the neighborhood offers anything of interest? Also, have you found an apartment on the UWS that fits your needs? I have found that no matter how much money you have to spend, the city always makes you give something up.
In terms of Gramercy turning into a college town on the weekends, I highly doubt it. Baruch is over there, but it is mostly a commuter school and everyone would be headed to the Village or wherever they go on the weekends. Not quite sure about anything else you asked, but I would definitely go with the UWS if you can find a place that you like.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:52 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,922,261 times
I would go with the UWS. 60 st to 86st. Maybe near CPW if possible. You have the C and B trains on Central Park West. It's also very quiet and safe.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:33 AM

140 posts, read 269,139 times
I can't really give you an informed opinion about the Gramercy area; but I do know the UWS pretty well. If you're tired of tourists, stay away from the 59th to 72nd street area you described. That section is packed with tourists nowadays. 72nd street in particular is always full of tourist buses parked on the street while its passengers take pictures of the Dakota building. Once John Lennon's death became a tourist attraction, that area quickly turned into its own little Times Square.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone! Very helpful, and I appreciate you reading through my morass of a post.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I need to go a little further out west on UWS if I want to find a place with a washer/dryer hookup in an affordable combination. I'm considering places like the Aldyn, Rushmore, Avery, and Element (all located either on West End or Riverside). Considering I currently live at 42nd and 11th (where there's a brutal wind tunnel in the winter), does a similar wind tunnel exist at these locations? How about tourists in this area (thanks for the heads up, pizarrony, very good to know!)? Any general comments about this area? Proximity to Riverside Park, CP, and the 72nd + Broadway stretch, Columbus Circle, and Lincoln Square are huge draws for me.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:35 AM

395 posts, read 1,214,775 times
In terms of the West 60s, I had a client tell me the area reminded her of Seattle. You may have to forgo the prewar detail that you would get in the 70's around Broadway. But for the washer/dryer hookup, but if you are out there by Riverside and West End, you should try to get a river view I couldn't imagine to many tourist out by there, unless they had a weird affinity to see the Trump buildings or the park (isn't some of the park restricted to residents of the adjacent buildings?)
Have you looked at the Rushmore, I really liked the building when I took a look at it.

So, right now you're over by Silver Towers? Ah, I had to make that schlep in the winter (through a foot of snow) from Port Authority. Not fun.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:37 PM

I had a whirlwind of a weekend visiting apartments, and trekking up and down Gramercy. The conclusion I reached at the end was...

Gramercy is out of the question for me -- even though I'm much closer to the average age of this neighborhood, it wasn't something I wanted to live in. It's great being so close to everything, but it just doesn't feel as comfortable as the UWS. Lots of hustle and bustle, and noise. It'd be great for something to go out in on the weekends, but not to live in.

I'm still in love with the UWS, but find that the trek to West End or Riverside kills me to. sheaosaurus -- I currently live right next to Silver Towers, and hated every step I had to take during the winter. The cold.. the wind.. it was unbearable. After this weekend, I'm refocusing my attention on the 62nd + Broadway, the Beaumont at 30 west 61, and another building to be seen at 64th street. Does anyone have any insights regarding these buildings?

The main trouble I'm running into is the lack of washer/dryer at the above locations. I'm wondering though, is anything wrong with an owner rolling a portable washer in the bathroom (no dryer), hooking a hose up to the sink faucet when needed, and draining the washer into the bathtub? I wouldn't be messing around with any pipes, and would hang dry all my clothes. Would a board still come down in disapproval at that?

Old 08-22-2011, 03:53 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,775,164 times
Just FYI, I'd think that if doing laundry is that important to you, you could just use a service. Most dry cleaners and/or laundromats in affluent areas like the UWS and Gramercy will come to your building, sometimes even your door, pick up the dirty laundry, and have it back to you either that evening or early the next day. It's much easier that finding those rare apartments with in/unit W/D, setting up one of those baby washers that hook up to the sink, or renovating an apartment to build a launddry space. If you can afford to live on the UWS you can afford laundry service. And it will give you many more options in your apartment search

Old 08-22-2011, 05:36 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
I wish you would have specified what older vs. newer means to you. If you're really talking older, then there are things to consider like plumbing. And is it really such a big deal to have a laundry room in the basement vs. in your apartment?

I don't shop at TJ, but there's one fairly nearby at 14th and Irving. And for ordinary non-gourmet, you're near a Morton Williams on 23rd and a Met Foods near 17th.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:10 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Quote:
I'm wondering though, is anything wrong with an owner rolling a portable washer in the bathroom (no dryer), hooking a hose up to the sink faucet when needed, and draining the washer into the bathtub?
You will get so sick of that operation so fast it will amaze you. And god forbid, if a unit floods you are talking $$$$$. Remember too, these appliances take valuable splace that could be better used.

Having a washer dryer OUTSIDE the apartment is really the best way to go.

I like Grammercy Park but not particularly Lexington Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City