Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:45 AM

37 posts, read 136,659 times

Advertisements

I know this would probably never come to pass, but I just want to know everyone's thoughts on the matter. As a former New Yorker now living in Arizona, I see the benefits of giving law abiding citizens the right to protect themselves.

Since most homicides and robberies in the city are committed with firearms, tough handgun laws are obviously not working, since criminals don't follow the laws anyways. As a result, decent law-abiding citizens are at the mercy of these hoodlums (especially those living in higher crime areas) since the criminals know that a prospective victim is probably unarmed. I know, as I have been mugged several times.

Here in AZ (Phoenix area), home invasions, carjackings, and armed robberies of normal law-abiding citizens is rare. Most criminals are cowards and want an easy mark. Since criminals here know that there is a high probability that a potential victim is armed, these kind of crimes don't occur too often.

Maybe if the city of New York would allow its law-abiding citizens to obtain concealed carry permits, these low-life hoodlums and junkies would think twice before mugging someone. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 11:26 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Nypd and its stupid permit laws is a joke.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:52 AM

468 posts, read 2,358,567 times
Phoenix has a higher crime rate than New York City as per the UCR. When you say "Here in AZ (Phoenix area), home invasions, carjackings, and armed robberies of normal law-abiding citizens is rare" are you citing an actual source here, or just anecdotal evidence? I know you were mugged several times in NYC and you (I presume) haven't been victimized in Arizona, but statistically, one is more likely to be have those crimes committed to them in Phoenix or Tucson.

I don't see much correlation between gun control laws and crime. New Orleans has lax gun control and it's always in the top 5 for most crimes. DC had an outright handgun ban and it too was always up there. "Low-life hoodlums and junkies" don't "think twice before mugging someone" because "low-life hoodlums and junkies" aren't very intelligent. That and they have nothing to lose.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:00 PM

The reason for Phoenix and Tucson's high crime stats is the proximity to the Mexican border, ie drug and human smuggling. This is the same reason that Phoenix is the so called "kidnap" capital of the USA. The news media fail to mention that 99% of these kidnaps are people involved in human smuggling (mostly illegals being held for ransom). From my observations, and from what I see on the news etc, violent crime here in the Phoenix area is very rare against ordinary law-abiding, non-drug using citizens. If you are involved in drugs, gangs, or human smuggling, it is a different story.

Regarding New Orleans, it seems much of that crime and homicide is drug-related and concentrated in poor areas. I don't know for sure, but I bet crime outside of those areas against normal citizens would be pretty low (except the French Quarter).

NYC is unique in that public transportation gives criminals access to the entire city.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
"Low-life hoodlums and junkies" don't "think twice before mugging someone" because "low-life hoodlums and junkies" aren't very intelligent. That and they have nothing to lose.
Once a few armed citizens fought back, I bet word would get around and these low-lives would think twice.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:01 PM

123 posts, read 279,217 times
My dad visited my uncle in southern Arizona in the 90s and he said that there is actually a ban on concealed weapons there, as weapons must be unconcealed. (I don't know where it was; is Sierra Vista a place?) My dad thought this was pretty cool; I think it's a bad idea, because it just shows the bad guys who does and does not have a gun...

In a world of unicorns and rainbows, NYC would allow law-abiding citizens to carry concealed and unconcealed weapons, but with the Bloomberg administration, the NYPD, and all this rhetoric about "assault" weapons, ain't never going to happen. In fact, there was a man in Manhattan whose store was robbed and the store owner defended himself with his gun and the police were investigating whether the store owner had legitimate possession of the gun...I say it is de facto legitimate to carry a gun if your store is being broken into!

Oh, but there is some tiny ray of hope. The DC ban on handguns was struck down as being unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in...2009, I think. It is called "Heller", or "The DC Gun Case." I was acquainted with one of the lawyers who argued against the ban, so I remember a lot of people were thrilled when that case was won. It was supposed to be a big deal, because it set the precedent for some state bans...never really followed up on what happened though...anyone know?

Old 10-18-2010, 04:13 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmohr75 View Post

Since most homicides and robberies in the city are committed with firearms, tough handgun laws are obviously not working, since criminals don't follow the laws anyways. As a result, decent law-abiding citizens are at the mercy of these hoodlums (especially those living in higher crime areas) since the criminals know that a prospective victim is probably unarmed. I know, as I have been mugged several times.............
How did you manage to get "mugged several times". Mugged in NYC or mugged in some crime ridden place in Arizona ?
NYC is one of the safest cities in the US.I have been here for over 30 years and live in The Bronx and I've never been mugged ......and I am a shrimp.Violent crime against law abiding citizens in NYC is extremely rare.The overwhelming majority of gun crimes are committed within the thug culture.Drug dealers,gang members and other low life's fighting with each other and killing each other off.

No,I don't think we need more guns in NYC in anyone's hands.Maybe the strict NYC gun laws are working despite what you think.Maybe that's why NYC has such a low crime rate.Maybe more guns just breeds more crime .It would be interesting to see whether cities with higher numbers of guns per capita have a lower or higher crime rates.I'd almost bet that they have more crime.
Keep your guns and higher crime rates in Arizona,please.We are doing just fine here in NY unless you hang out with
thugs,gang members and drug dealers.

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-18-2010 at 04:51 PM..

Old 10-18-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
How did you manage to get "mugged several times". Mugged in NYC or mugged in some crime ridden place in Arizona ?
NYC is one of the safest cities in the US.I have been here for over 30 years and live in The Bronx and I've never been mugged ......and I am a shrimp.Violent crime against law abiding citizens in NYC is extremely rare.The overwhelming majority of gun crimes are committed within the thug culture.Drug dealers,gang members and other low life's fighting with each other and killing each other off.

No,I don't think we need more guns in NYC in anyone's hands.Maybe the strict NYC gun laws are working despite what you think.Maybe that's why NYC has such a low crime rate.Maybe more guns just breeds more crime .It would be interesting to see whether cities with higher numbers of guns per capita have a lower or higher crime rates.I'd almost bet that they have more crime.
Keep your guns and higher crime rates in Arizona,please.We are doing just fine here in NY unless you hang out with
thugs,gang members and drug dealers.
How did I "manage" to get mugged several times in NYC? I don't know what fairyland you've been living in for the past 30 years but East New York in the 80's and 90's was a far cry from Pelham Pkwy my friend.

Last edited by sbmohr75; 10-18-2010 at 06:52 PM..

Old 10-18-2010, 06:47 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Thoughts? I have a Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. Those are my thoughts.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:25 PM

123 posts, read 279,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Thoughts? I have a Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. Those are my thoughts.
Lol, those are not only your thoughts, but your Constitutional liberties!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City