Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 05:45 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

back in 1978 I remember riding the Liberty Lines bus northward on Madison Avenue past 96th street. Virtually immediately, there were abandoned buildings at 98th street and up and Madison Avenue looked totally intimidating

currently i have no reason to be in that area so i'm not familiar with it, but if I had to guess, i might think that Madison Avenue gradually improved over the decades to the point where you wouldn't see abandonment until say 115th or so? is this true?

i had also read a long time ago that the most dangerous part of Harlem was between the Harlem River and St Nicholas Avenue between 127th and 159th streets with the absolute worst corner being 8th Avenue and W 147th street, where anyone had a high chance of getting hit by a round of bullets

how is that corner today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 05:53 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,683 times
I believe there is a doorman building on the corner of 8th and 147th now.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:01 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
back in 1978 I remember riding the Liberty Lines bus northward on Madison Avenue past 96th street. Virtually immediately, there were abandoned buildings at 98th street and up and Madison Avenue looked totally intimidating

currently i have no reason to be in that area so i'm not familiar with it, but if I had to guess, i might think that Madison Avenue gradually improved over the decades to the point where you wouldn't see abandonment until say 115th or so? is this true?

i had also read a long time ago that the most dangerous part of Harlem was between the Harlem River and St Nicholas Avenue between 127th and 159th streets with the absolute worst corner being 8th Avenue and W 147th street, where anyone had a high chance of getting hit by a round of bullets

how is that corner today
Sounds a bit like the route of The Pelham Parkway -midtown express bus ,the BxM11.I think lots of The Bronx/Manhattan express busses use that route going up and down Madison and 5th from 125th street down to 23rd st.

Anyway,the thing I notice most from the bus as it is traveling through that part of Harlem is how many of the buildings( in some cases block after block) are occupied on the ground floor but completely empty and boarded up otherwise.

It's really eerie once you realize that so many of the buildings are abandoned except for the storefronts.What a waste of a housing resource.Very different from The Bronx where every available unit seems utilized and neighborhoods are packed and teeming.My guess is that big development companies own them all and were waiting for the right time to just level entire blocks and put up high rises.Who knows if that will lever happen now.They have been empty and boarded up for years but you might not even notice if you don't look up.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:08 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
Default funny it was 1978

when Liberty Lines was only about 5 years old or so and the fare was $1.50 one way

i was returning from the Foreign Auto show(NY Coliseum) on the bus going to visit my grandmother who lived in Riverdale (where I live now)

transit fare was 50 cents

Old 09-12-2011, 06:17 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
when Liberty Lines was only about 5 years old or so and the fare was $1.50 one way.......
Now it's $5.50 but I take it sometimes anyway...especially if I want to go to 5th/Mad area on the UES,central Park,Museums or whatever because it goes non stop from Pelham Parkway to 96th st in about 20 mins.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:07 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:

how is that corner today
Central Harlem IMO is still the worst part of Harlem. From 155th Street, over to St. Nicholas, then down to 127th, over to 5th, up to 142nd, over to 7th Avenue, back up to 155th. This to me is the worst part.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City