Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 04:34 PM

36 posts, read 154,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
This is nonsense. I know many people making five figure salaries living in Manhattan. No, there's not doorman in their building, it might be a walk-up ad they rent. But they manage nicely. And they're NOT from wealthy families.
Could you please give more information about how they are doing this? I am seriously taking the job and moving to NYC, the reason I won’t take the job is if I can or can not afford my housing.

I could use some true practical information around this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 05:49 PM

3 posts, read 11,692 times
It would help if you would tell us what you're looking for, not how much you make. You've already seen that a tiny 500 sf studio in Manhattan, in livable condition, will probably start at 250k and then the sky's the limit. The Bronx has some very affordable areas right now that are a doable commute to Manhattan. Queens, a little more expensive, Brooklyn even more. It all depends what you want in terms of size, commute to work. There's a couple of things you could do. First, pick up a NY Times. Secondly, look through Craig's list. If I were you, I'd move here and rent for a while. Get to know the city, scope it out, figure out what's going to work for you, then look at buying. And the foreclosure thing? Not happening in Manhattan, and probably not in the other boroughs, either. Maybe in Des Moines...

Old 08-19-2007, 06:04 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthesame View Post
Thanks for the replies. I see everyone has strong feelings about this. I hear all this noise about foreclosures, perhaps I could snag one of those for $250K?

Do you think a LES studio will continue to appreciate? Second, if living in Manhattan is out of the question, where should I be looking?
Yes, I think it will continue to appreciate. Manhattan real estate market has continued to be robust despite the national trends. Of course, if there's another 9/11 (heaven forbid) all bets are off, but even post 9/11 everyone still wants to live here. The LES has become much more gentrified in recent years and will likely continue to do so.

The best bargains are still in the Bronx--spacious 1 Bed coops for about 100-125K.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
This is nonsense. I know many people making five figure salaries living in Manhattan. No, there's not doorman in their building, it might be a walk-up ad they rent. But they manage nicely. And they're NOT from wealthy families.
To answer the OP's question re: how are people doing this: it's nearly impossible to get an "affordable" apt for rent in Manhattan now. Vacancy rates are very low; demand is high, and people are willing to pay whatever they have to.

Some folks who have lived in Manhattan a long time have rent stabilized apts, which keeps their rent increases down (though they do go up every year or two when their leases run out). But these are becoming less and less common, and more landlords out of rent control as soon as they can. And once an apt reaches the $2000 range, rent control no longer applies, from what I've read.

As another poster said, look at online papers such as the NY Times, NY Post, Daily News, Village Voice to get a better idea; then decide what you think you can afford, given your projected expenses.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:02 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Roommates are a way to afford housing if your budget is constrained.

And being frugal: bring your lunch, for example. Shop carefully. It can be done. It doesn't support a 'beautiful people's' lifestyle, but you can do it.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:34 PM

46 posts, read 229,394 times
Quote:
Could you please give more information about how they are doing this? I am seriously taking the job and moving to NYC, the reason I won’t take the job is if I can or can not afford my housing.

I could use some true practical information around this issue.
We pay well over 2k/month for our current apartment-combined income is 120k and we're both in very low 20s

Old 08-21-2007, 01:40 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
Quote:
Okay, realistically would a consultant from the Midwest looking to move to NYC be able to live in Manhattan if he makes under $100,000?

For some direction on this, let’s say I make $85k and I would actually want to buy something. AVG 3 FICO = 780, 26 single no kids.

Now I can pinch a penny and I already sleep on someone's couch to save a buck. I have no problem living in a studio but I want it to be somewhere in or around midtown.

I am not wealthy, but sleeping on someone's couch allows me to put down maybe $20k for a down payment. But, honestly coming from the Midwest, I can't see paying $2,000 a month unless it’s on a mortgage.

What are my shots at doing this?
Very hard.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:23 PM

36 posts, read 154,397 times
Default Condos

How about buying condos vs. Co-ops? If I am looking to buy which would you recommend?

Old 08-21-2007, 06:09 PM

Manhattan is mostly coop land, though there are some newer luxe condos springing up...just look at the NY Times Manhattan listings...read 'em and weep!

Old 08-21-2007, 06:11 PM

For coops, you have to get approval by the coop board. In Manhattan (depending on the area) this can sometimes be rough. Condos don't require board approval. There are also some coops with no board approval though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City