Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:56 AM

154 posts, read 449,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Im a born and bred new yorker myself, I have to say nyc does not cater to me anymore as well for other natives too. The city has to attract outsiders why because money, attractions is a business and every city anf state does that in order to grow its population and bring in revenue. I dont like what the city has become, but hey thats life things change. The city does a good job attracting young educated people and immigrants, but nyc does a poor job attracting famlies, retirees and even a poorer job maintaining young educated natives, families and retirees. I'm always meeting transplants and they all love nyc anf they do agree nyc is a great place to be, sadly they hate where they come from and they don't understand why new yorkers and other urbanites flock to the boonies. We say living in a canteen apartment for 2k a month is silly while transplants say living in the middle of of no where is depressing. All I have to say living in nyc is the greatest con in urban american living. Cost of living plus low quality of life is outragous and laughable at best.
Exactly, why is it that only New Yorker's live in boxes!
Im tired of living in an expensive box! My brother recently bought a coop in Queens with a monthly maint fee of a little over 2k!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 01:02 AM

154 posts, read 449,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
The ONLY people who compare New York to London are usually die hard Londoners suffering inferiority complex (and outsiders who absolutely hate the praise that is continually bestowed upon New York) and try to "show" those uppity New Yorkers, hence the amounts of drive-by trolling from outsiders who feel compelled to drop in and tell New Yorkers how such and such "thrashes" New York.

Truth is -- London is poor and irrelevant compared to New York.

Envy is a mortal sin.
Isn't London referred to Londonistan,
It's totally absurdistan to even compare it NYc!
But don't get me wrong, I still think NYC is overrated!

Old 09-16-2011, 01:41 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPersianJewGurL View Post

Its referred to -stan because of the EDL who has a a talent at scaring the public about foreigners. London is pretty nice plu the added benefit is that you get to travel to other European cities by train. Once we get out of Manhattan, there is not much to do or see.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:40 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Im a born and bred new yorker myself, I have to say nyc does not cater to me anymore as well for other natives too. The city has to attract outsiders why because money, attractions is a business and every city anf state does that in order to grow its population and bring in revenue. I dont like what the city has become, but hey thats life things change. The city does a good job attracting young educated people and immigrants, but nyc does a poor job attracting famlies, retirees and even a poorer job maintaining young educated natives, families and retirees. I'm always meeting transplants and they all love nyc anf they do agree nyc is a great place to be, sadly they hate where they come from and they don't understand why new yorkers and other urbanites flock to the boonies. We say living in a canteen apartment for 2k a month is silly while transplants say living in the middle of of no where is depressing. All I have to say living in nyc is the greatest con in urban american living. Cost of living plus low quality of life is outragous and laughable at best.
I don't think it's as clear cut as that.

There are plenty of native NY'ers (including families) who could afford to live in the city but choose not to. The vast majority of government jobs and union tradesman are filled with native NY'ers and they all earn more than the vast majority of transplants who get by on 40k/year. There are plenty of neighborhoods in Brooklyn, SI, Queens, and the Bronx where the median household income is higher than all but a select few tracts in the City.

A lot of natives simply don't want to live in Manhattan and it doesn't have everything to do with cost.

The city (Manhattan) is a great place if you have money to blow (or choose to live paycheck to paycheck). You can't say otherwise.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 09-16-2011 at 07:50 AM..

Old 09-16-2011, 07:54 AM

801 posts, read 1,105,293 times
New York city looks like Disney Land!!!! Jaja that's why you live it...)

Old 09-16-2011, 12:17 PM

684 posts, read 1,122,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
What does GB even do anymore?

I'm baffled as to how it's not a third world nation.
Are you serious?

London is the finance center of the world. Also, it has like 2000 years of history.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:18 PM

684 posts, read 1,122,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPersianJewGurL View Post
Only fools refer to London as Londonistan. London is multicultural, yes. But so is NY, and NY isnt called such and such.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:29 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
Only fools refer to London as Londonistan. London is multicultural, yes. But so is NY, and NY isnt called such and such.
NY has been multiple cultural ever nice it was New Amsterdam.

When has London ever been multicultural save for the past few decades? When the Romans established it as. City?

Old 09-16-2011, 02:33 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
NY has been multiple cultural ever nice it was New Amsterdam.

When has London ever been multicultural save for the past few decades? When the Romans established it as. City?
I hope you know that there are two Londons, London and then there is the City of London which is built around the Roman Fortification.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:11 PM

112 posts, read 328,038 times
NYC is awesome when you're in your 20's

But.

once you get into your 30's and start thinking about settling down (ie: getting married + buying a place + starting a family + living in a neighborhood with good schools ) it's not so great when you realize it's not the best place to do those things unless you make ALOT of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City