Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:42 PM

545 posts, read 909,139 times

Advertisements

Seems to be the jumper's bridge du jour... http://http://www.silive.com/news/in...ps_from_s.html. Although I don't think the scene from SNF will ever leave my memory. I myself would prefer to 'jump' from some cliff in upper Manhattan...or perhaps the NJ Pallisades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 06:50 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,612,567 times
I think it's sad that someone felt so horrible and alone that they decided to commit suicide on the bridge and all people cared about was the traffic. One friend went as far as posting "oh it wasn't my baby's father? Oh well guess I will be getting another child support payment this week." I swear some people really make me shake my head.

Be thankful for what you have in this life. We don't know what terrible things happened to that guy to drive him to such an extreme decision.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:04 PM

545 posts, read 909,139 times
I agree that people make light of this stuff. I have dealt with family members' depression and anxiety in my life, it's not easy to work oneself out of. I have always had an interst the in macabre and wonder why this is becoming such a popular place. I envision pulling over to jump...and not being able to get to a good enough spot... weird...

Old 07-23-2012, 07:20 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,793,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwatcher View Post
Seems to be the jumper's bridge du jour... http://http://www.silive.com/news/in...ps_from_s.html. Although I don't think the scene from SNF will ever leave my memory. I myself would prefer to 'jump' from some cliff in upper Manhattan...or perhaps the NJ Pallisades.
I couldn't get the link to open in Chrome or Explorer.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,612,567 times
Maybe something to do with it being the world's longest suspension bridge. Unless another bridge took over that title by now. Who knows.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:54 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwatcher View Post
Seems to be the jumper's bridge du jour... http://http://www.silive.com/news/in...ps_from_s.html.
High-wire save on Verrazano-Narrows Bridge knots Staten Island traffic | SILive.com
8 attempts: 5 jumped, 3 saved since December. Why are all lanes closed down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Maybe something to do with it being the world's longest suspension bridge. Unless another bridge took over that title by now. Who knows.
Hasn't been the longest since 1981, now #9. 4 longer spans in China, where this guy is from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_bridge_spans

Last edited by bigjake54; 07-24-2012 at 10:06 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 06:52 AM

455 posts, read 652,233 times
There are easier and painless way of killing yourself. Not sure why people have to take the painful way out.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:18 PM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
There are easier and painless way of killing yourself. Not sure why people have to take the painful way out.

Do you care to elaborate?

Old 07-26-2012, 06:24 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,708,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post

Not sure its all that painful. The speed your body hits that water you are instantly dead. Your guts almost liquify. You wouldnt feel a thing.

I think the worst is jumping in front of a train. We had a guy at work who tried to commit suicide that way a couple of years ago. He jumped in front of a train. It only severed one hand. He reached out to the third rail with his other hand to kill himself but it arced and blew half his hand away. He somehow was able to get back on the platform and decided to try again with a northbound train. The operator was able to stop the train in time. He had mental problems that were under control for awhile but guess he went off his meds. He was sent to rehab and an adult home.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:51 PM

774 posts, read 1,694,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Not sure its all that painful. The speed your body hits that water you are instantly dead. Your guts almost liquify. You wouldnt feel a thing.
Yet a number of people have survived the Golden Gate Bridge, whose roadway is higher above the water than the VN.
Interestingly enough, survivors typically say as soon as they jumped, they regretted it.

Apparently people have survived the VN too. I don't know their stories...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City