Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:11 PM

10 posts, read 59,686 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all your input guys, just finished staying at the Astoria projects. It was pretty bad imo, there was a shooting during September or November(can't remember which one of the two). Nothing happened to me there because I just mind my business and try not to stare at people for too long. Tbh I didn't feel comfortable having my phone out or wearing any valuables(chains,expensive sneakers). There's definitely a lot of drug dealing in that area. 8th street deli is the hangout, I have been told by other residents that a lot of the people that hang out in front of that deli can sell you drugs. Astoria Projects is DEFINATLY worse than the Ravenswood and Woodside projects. I strongly suggest you guys check it out, would love to hear your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 02:14 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnzFinest View Post
Thanks for all your input guys, just finished staying at the Astoria projects. It was pretty bad imo, there was a shooting during September or November(can't remember which one of the two). Nothing happened to me there because I just mind my business and try not to stare at people for too long. Tbh I didn't feel comfortable having my phone out or wearing any valuables(chains,expensive sneakers). There's definitely a lot of drug dealing in that area. 8th street deli is the hangout, I have been told by other residents that a lot of the people that hang out in front of that deli can sell you drugs. Astoria Projects is DEFINATLY worse than the Ravenswood and Woodside projects. I strongly suggest you guys check it out, would love to hear your opinions.
Ive been there before in my Imo the area looked a lot more safer than most Bronx and Brooklyn projects. Don't get me wrong the area towards Astoria pj's look a little gritty from what I remember. I know a guy who is a doorman in a luxury coop not to far away and because of Astoria projects the doorman has to lock the front door at night and disable the intercom and tenants must show id that they live in that building. Crazy guy from Astoria pj's got passed the doorman and caused some trouble some years ago. You did a smart thing by avoiding usual hood elements of drugs, hustling and loitering, these tactics go a long way from either getting arrested and not getting a job oreven being six feet under.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:17 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnzFinest View Post
I've never been to Astoria Houses but it makes sense that it's worse than Ravenswood because it's so isolated.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-29-2012, 08:47 AM

10 posts, read 59,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I've never been to Astoria Houses but it makes sense that it's worse than Ravenswood because it's so isolated.
The area is isolated that's true, to take the train you can walk to the Astoria boulevard stop or you can just take the Q18 to the 30av stop. But yeah I definitely felt safer in Ravenswood and Woodside houses than Astoria. I would walk around Queensbridge a lot to take the F train, and to take the Q69 home. I never got to go inside just walk around it and wait across the street for the bus. I didn't get the feeling like I was in danger but I don't think I would go with any valuables out (Iphone, expensive sneakers etc). I'll be sure to go inside the projects and check it out eventually. I found a link about the shooting I was talking about: Shooting - ASTORIA BLVD AND 8TH ST, QUEENS - 10/21/2011 02:45 PM. But SeventhFloor, you should check out Astoria houses, I would love to hear your input on it. And to BronxGuyanese, are you talking about Shore Towers?

EDIT: found another shooting http://spotcrime.com/crime/15158980-...0ad2c64eacdce2

Old 01-30-2012, 08:56 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,310 times
I'm kind of surprised by this, as I was living in Astoria for a year not too far from the projects and I would bike past them every day on my way to work. Never had an issue riding to and from work and passing through the projects (I would cut down Astoria Blvd. a lot and mainly took Vernon Blvd. down). I did hear from people in the neighborhood that the projects in LIC were far worse, but considering I would pass through all of them and never had an issue, I couldn't tell the difference. However I will say I did feel somewhat safer riding through the LIC projects than Astoria projects at night, not quite sure why.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:16 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
A friend of mine used to be with NYPD and he was stationed over there near Queensbridge. Yeah, he wasn't thrilled.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:26 PM

18 posts, read 67,336 times
Astoria aint that bad. Either is Ravenswood or L.I.C.

the worst around there, is Queensbridge.

Id still say Bland, Latimer or Woodside are safest in Queens.

Id pick Astoria or Ravenswood over Any Projects in Southside, Far Rock, or Pomonok.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:29 PM

id even pick Pomonok over Astoria because its surrounded by decent areas.

Astoria is secluded. so i dont know how shady it gets. Pomonok is only shady on the inside. outside is ok.

Electchester is a nice area. got pretty shady/ghetto a bit, but still, a decent area.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:30 PM

Astoria Projects is kind of tucked into the middle of no where in the neighborhood of Astoria

Old 07-27-2012, 09:12 PM

scratch that, id pick astoria over pnok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery