Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,670 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving from Washington D.C to New York City for a job. I know that like D.C, there are certain parts of NYC that are unsafe to live. A friend recommended me to live in Astoria, Queens, saying that its safe and rental is reasonable. I found a place to live at Astoria Blvd and 27th St. The area is just a few blocks from the Astoria Blvd subway. Now can someone tell me more about that area? Is it a safe place to live for an Asian girl (myself)? I just worry that I will be a minority or a target in this neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 02:47 PM

447 posts, read 1,563,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiariel View Post
Hi, I'm moving from Washington D.C to New York City for a job. I know that like D.C, there are certain parts of NYC that are unsafe to live. A friend recommended me to live in Astoria, Queens, saying that its safe and rental is reasonable. I found a place to live at Astoria Blvd and 27th St. The area is just a few blocks from the Astoria Blvd subway. Now can someone tell me more about that area? Is it a safe place to live for an Asian girl (myself)? I just worry that I will be a minority or a target in this neighborhood.
You'll be okay. I live a few blocks from there.
You'll be the only Asian girl tho.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:41 PM

40 posts, read 137,311 times
Dont worry at all. That's a good area.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:35 AM

223 posts, read 615,808 times
Congrats on finding a place close to the train! It's a safe neighborhood with a lot to do nearby. Also, there are plenty of Asians of almost every desciption around Astoria.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:07 PM

447 posts, read 1,563,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaasNYC View Post
Congrats on finding a place close to the train! It's a safe neighborhood with a lot to do nearby. Also, there are plenty of Asians of almost every desciption around Astoria.
There aren't no Asians in that area. I live exactly 9 blocks from that address and the only Asians there are Indians or Bangladeshi people who still are few in numbers. The only East Asians are the few people that own some of the Chinese take-outs.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:09 PM

45 posts, read 99,236 times
Quote:
Its okay. Rent is cheap there.
You will be a minority there though.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:32 AM

1 posts, read 4,200 times
Hi, my husband got a job transfer to NYC and we are planning to live in Astoria at Broadway St, about 7 blocks from the subway. Is it safe? Even to walk from the subway to the apartment at night? Tks

Old 12-10-2013, 06:26 AM

912 posts, read 2,098,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertadiass View Post
Hi, my husband got a job transfer to NYC and we are planning to live in Astoria at Broadway St, about 7 blocks from the subway. Is it safe? Even to walk from the subway to the apartment at night? Tks
Astoria is pretty safe in general. It's important to always be aware of your surroundings wherever you are

Old 12-10-2013, 06:27 AM

912 posts, read 2,098,594 times
Quote:
That's a very nice area, a lot of great food places.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:28 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertadiass View Post
The closer to the river, the more desolate the walk. Overall Astoria is safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City