Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 11:47 AM

64 posts, read 84,916 times

Advertisements

Could anyone tell me what the area is like today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 12:03 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,077,806 times
Chilly or brick as they say. Lots of ice and snow puddles. A good amount of snow slush on the corners.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Chilly or brick as they say. Lots of ice and snow puddles. A good amount of snow slush on the corners.
Really? If you don't have any useful information please refrain from responding.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:50 PM

174 posts, read 187,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT942 View Post
Could anyone tell me what the area is like today?
I live on 149th. I can help you.

Long story short- it's the hood. You're right by Polo Grounds, a large high crime projects.. there isn't a lot of food around, so that's annoying. They're building up stuff around there.. I've seen a new restaurant or two pop up, but realistically it's still very hood. Liquor store.. check cashing.. Boost Mobile.. that stuff. You've got good transit.. B and 3 stations nearby.

It's like a throwback to 90's Harlem, to me. That said, like everywhere else, you see new neighbors entering the area... but most of that stops before 150th. Still, there are some. If you're squeamish, I wouldn't recommend it. You'd be moving into the hood, full stop. One of the last places in the City I still consider ACTUALLY hood.

Disclaimer about me- I'm from the hood. I know about these things.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:37 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TizOnly1 View Post
I live on 149th. I can help you.

Long story short- it's the hood. You're right by Polo Grounds, a large high crime projects.. there isn't a lot of food around, so that's annoying. They're building up stuff around there.. I've seen a new restaurant or two pop up, but realistically it's still very hood. Liquor store.. check cashing.. Boost Mobile.. that stuff. You've got good transit.. B and 3 stations nearby.

It's like a throwback to 90's Harlem, to me. That said, like everywhere else, you see new neighbors entering the area... but most of that stops before 150th. Still, there are some. If you're squeamish, I wouldn't recommend it. You'd be moving into the hood, full stop. One of the last places in the City I still consider ACTUALLY hood.

Disclaimer about me- I'm from the hood. I know about these things.
Yeah its still pretty slummy over there....good assessment.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-12-2017, 08:49 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,746 times
If thats all you can afford at the moment then just move in and spend your times other locations. Just cause you live somewhere doesnt mean you always have to spend time there.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:33 AM

174 posts, read 187,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
If thats all you can afford at the moment then just move in and spend your times other locations. Just cause you live somewhere doesnt mean you always have to spend time there.
Ehhh....

That probably works for most places... 153rd and 8th, there are legit safety concerns. Those concerns are only made worse if you're spending your time in other locations, and coming home late. Coming out of that 155th train station at night isn't what you want to be doing with any regularity at all.

And again.. I'm FROM the hood. I'm used to old-NYC hoods. I'm not one of these people scared to go above 125th. 153rd and 8th is not a place to be, for the kind of person that goes online to ask what a neighborhood is like lol

Find someplace else.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Ehhh....

That probably works for most places... 153rd and 8th, there are legit safety concerns. Those concerns are only made worse if you're spending your time in other locations, and coming home late. Coming out of that 155th train station at night isn't what you want to be doing with any regularity at all.

And again.. I'm FROM the hood. I'm used to old-NYC hoods. I'm not one of these people scared to go above 125th. 153rd and 8th is not a place to be, for the kind of person that goes online to ask what a neighborhood is like lol

Find someplace else.
Thanks much for your very honest assessment. That's exactly what I needed. With that said if all goes through I'll be moving.

I'm from BK and very familiar with the hood. I see what you mean about the 155 train stop, ewww. I will probably get off at 145 and bus it the few blocks, hope that's a better bet. Since I'm being priced outta Crown Heights this seems like my only viable option at the moment. I'm hoping that it will turn around as I've seen my "hood" become not so much. Any late trips home will be by cab to front door of the house. Actually when I went to see the place the super used to live right around the corner from where I currently live and he told me if I can live there then 153rd should be better.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:00 AM

3,132 posts, read 2,726,308 times
There has been a lot of improvement not far south--145th St. on that side of town is still not in any way, shape, or form fancy, but as a ghetto alum I wouldn't call it ghetto (there's the only Starbucks for practically miles around...). So it's not totally unreasonable to hope that conditions will better over time. Though that 155th St. station is a drawback, whereas the express at 145th is a pull.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:31 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,746 times
Quote:
Ehhh....

Find someplace else.
I'm born and raised in from bushwick projects in the 80's so to me this is nothing. So i guess it matters how you grew up and what your tolerance is. If you're saving money on rent and to scared to subway it back take an Uber. Then again they would make you more of a target when the hood sees you are always in a different car lol.

Get off at the 145 A/B/C/D station and walk. Then again it might be too dark for some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: