Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 01:00 PM

9 posts, read 120,225 times

Advertisements

I always keep hearing from everyone that when there's a mayor Jewish holiday, the streets and cars are almost empty on Manhattan (NYC). Is it really true?

Are non-private(Jewish) companies closed on Jewish holidays in NYC, or Jewish employees have to take a day off?

I know it might sound wierd and funny, but I'm really curios!
Thanks for respond and God Bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 01:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
This oughtta be a fun thread.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:17 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomJessy View Post
I always keep hearing from everyone that when there's a mayor Jewish holiday, the streets and cars are almost empty on Manhattan (NYC). Is it really true?

Are non-private(Jewish) companies closed on Jewish holidays in NYC, or Jewish employees have to take a day off?

Is this a serious thread?

Do some stores close? Yes. Look at the huge store B&H, which closes for all Jewish holidays and does not process orders during the closure, even online purchases. Do non-Jews work there? Sure. They should have known this when they accepted the job.

Do a lot of stores close? Of course not. I personally haven't noticed ANYTHING closed. Maybe the kosher deli down the street is. Don't know.

I have a few people out yesterday and today from the office for Rosh Hashana but honestly? It's a BAU day. Majority of people are in, and even most of the senior executives that are Jewish are in today.

I highly doubt you heard from "everyone" that the streets are empty.

"Everyone" must never have been to NY.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:22 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I would say the city is noticably slower during the Jewish holidays..and it's more about the industry you are in. If you are in commercial RE or Wall St/Finance...then lots and lots of people are home, and things are much slower. If you are in retail, service industry, or other blue collar professions, then you really don't notice anything.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 09-30-2011 at 01:32 PM..

Old 09-30-2011, 01:22 PM

475 posts, read 814,957 times
Don't feed the troll.

Check her posts.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:36 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomJessy View Post

Since you are ignorant, let us presume these things to be true. lets also preusume there are a million Jewish people in NYC.

Why then, "...might [it] sound weird and funny...."?

Where do you keep "hearing" and from whom?

what the heck is a "non-private (Jewish) company?

What is strang and weird is the lack of worldliness and ignorance you display.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:37 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
The trains are noticably emptier during the High Holy Days because the public schools are closed. I used to wonder why, since there are not that many Jewish students. But someone told me that they started doing this years back because so many teachers and administrators were Jewish that there wouldn't be enough of them to keep the schools open. Don't know if that was true or still is.

But its a measure of how New York has changed that even though I don't think they get major Muslim or Hindu holidays off at the schools, those holidays have achieved the ultimate mark of validation in New York: Alternate side of the street parking is suspended for Eid al-fitr (the end of Ramadan) and Diwali (the return of Lord Rama to conquer evil).

Last edited by citylove101; 09-30-2011 at 02:29 PM..

Old 09-30-2011, 01:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
IF you work in either Finance, Insurance and Real eastate industries things might feel slow on Jewish holidays because in those industries have a huge substantial number of Jews especially here in NYC. Also in NYC public school system Jewish holidays the schools are closed except for chanukah. You need to understand that NYC is a Jewish place according to my professor.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:29 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
It's ain't called Rushahome-a for nothing

Old 09-30-2011, 03:28 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
I work in Finance. Most people, including Jewish, are in today. It is also rather a busy time for us. So it all depends really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: