Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:09 AM

194 posts, read 1,203,230 times

Advertisements

The city was pulling itself out of the despair it had been in since the late 60's by the early 90's but 1990 was still deep in the crack epidemic. Were people being killed Times Square? Probably not but walk a few avenues into Hells Kitchen and it hadn't yet become the area people know it as today. Areas like Bed-Stuy and Harlem were on the come up but areas like Bushwick, Crown Heights, and the South Bronx were still struggling mightily, I would bet that East New York/Brownsville shouldered alot of those murders. That area was becoming a warzone by the mid 80's...I mean it wasn't a great place before but seems like mid 80's to mid 90's were especially horrific for eastern Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 01:02 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidorry View Post
The city was pulling itself out of the despair it had been in since the late 60's by the early 90's but 1990 was still deep in the crack epidemic. Were people being killed Times Square? Probably not but walk a few avenues into Hells Kitchen and it hadn't yet become the area people know it as today. Areas like Bed-Stuy and Harlem were on the come up but areas like Bushwick, Crown Heights, and the South Bronx were still struggling mightily, I would bet that East New York/Brownsville shouldered alot of those murders. That area was becoming a warzone by the mid 80's...I mean it wasn't a great place before but seems like mid 80's to mid 90's were especially horrific for eastern Brooklyn.
Lets not forget jamaica queens which was just as notorious for crime on par wity east bk, south bronx and upper manhattan crime rates.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:29 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,692,542 times
Default around that time (or was it before)

I remember reading that a tourist was slain during a robbery attempt on W 52 street between 6th and 7th Avenues in the theater district

it was upsetting to know this happened on a busy crowded touristy street that you normally wouldn't expect to happen there

Old 10-06-2011, 05:38 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,112 times
Summer 1990 was the single most significant time in life. I went away to college.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:01 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,816,321 times
I remember right around Christmas 1990, there was talk of this super-duper grade A heroin in this one section of the south Bronx.
Turned out to be a TOXIC batch they called Tango -and-Cash that went on to kill 12 people in Feb 1991.

I was dating this hot Puerto Rican girl that lived right on that block where it ALL came from.
I was stopped by the cops about 10 times in a two or three week period.
They were going around pulling up everybody's sleeves checking for track marks.
I wasn't even 21 and they check me numerous times.

"Every radio car we have with a public-address system is out there."
..... "Attention! Toxic heroin was sold Friday in New York City! Use of this toxic heroin has resulted in overdoses and deaths! If you have used this drug, seek medical attention immediately!".

Old 10-06-2011, 09:11 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidorry View Post
The precinct with the highest number of murders were

(In the 100- 120 murder range)

75th - East NY
34th - Washington Heights

( In the 80-95 murder range)

44th - Highbridge
46th - Morris Heights

(In the 70-80 murder range)

40th - Mott Haven
79th - Bed Stuy
77th - Crown Heights

The murder rate would have been led by the south Bronx and Central Harlem.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:55 AM

194 posts, read 1,203,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lets not forget jamaica queens which was just as notorious for crime on par wity east bk, south bronx and upper manhattan crime rates.

Yes after I posted I thought of Jamaica but I knew someone would put it out there.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:02 AM

47 posts, read 143,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Summer 1990 was the single most significant time in life. I went away to college.
Funny... summer of 1990 was the most significant time in my life for much different reasons. I was 11 years old and admitted into the children's psych ward at St. Vincent's for severe depression and separation anxiety. I was there for 10 weeks and during the course of it my family moved from Dyker Heights (the only home I'd ever known) to Roosevelt Island.

Terrible, terrible summer for me.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:32 AM

669 posts, read 1,274,197 times
I wasn't even born yet I couldn't imagine living in the city back then it seemed so crazy.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:04 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
The city was similar to what it is now. 5th ave has always been 5th ave, and Broadway has always been Broadway..but I think the major difference of comparing then from now is that the worst neighborhoods back then were much worse than they are now.

Walking around ENY, Brownsville Sutter Ave, Saratoga, etc was unholy if you were not from those neighborhoods.

But that goes without saying, most major American cities had terrible crime rates that make today's crime rates look like Disney Land. Walking around the worst hoods in NYC, south side Chicago, Philadelphia, Miami, Camden, Newark South Central LA etc was simply a no-go and unthinkable. The homicide rates in all of the cities were about double what they are today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City