Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:54 AM

10 posts, read 15,792 times

Advertisements

I wanted to know some insights on moving to NYC. It is me my girlfriend (of many years) and our 2.5 year old child. We are living upstate about 3 hours from the city and would love to move there to be closer to family and the environment. I run my own business landscaping. So it would be hard to do that down there obviously. But I would look for similar jobs working outdoors. Anyways, What would be some good places (neighborhoods) to live in the NYC area. We dont want to spend too much in rent( nor does anyone else) but I want a safe neighborhood for my daughter. I would be fine anywhere almost, but want to be in a nice place for my families sake. I have enough money to move and last a little while. ( all my assets and money saved) But couldnt pay more than 2k a month. What are some good areas for a 2-3 bedroom for that price? I could get by with 2br but be much easier with 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:11 AM

615 posts, read 1,676,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiedino11 View Post
I wanted to know some insights on moving to NYC. It is me my girlfriend (of many years) and our 2.5 year old child. We are living upstate about 3 hours from the city and would love to move there to be closer to family and the environment. I run my own business landscaping. So it would be hard to do that down there obviously. But I would look for similar jobs working outdoors. Anyways, What would be some good places (neighborhoods) to live in the NYC area. We dont want to spend too much in rent( nor does anyone else) but I want a safe neighborhood for my daughter. I would be fine anywhere almost, but want to be in a nice place for my families sake. I have enough money to move and last a little while. ( all my assets and money saved) But couldnt pay more than 2k a month. What are some good areas for a 2-3 bedroom for that price? I could get by with 2br but be much easier with 3.

^^2k is not going to get you a nice 3 bdroom in a safe neighborhood. It may afford you a 2 bdroom in Bayridge, Bklyn and Astoria, Queens.

Good luck!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:28 AM

Thanks summer. I know it is a lot more expensive. For 2k up here I could live almost anywhere I would like to. But where does the middle class families live. Not everyone there is rich. I know i dont need 2 vehicles and all this other stuff i have the luxury of having upstate. But how does a middle class family make it in ny with rent so high? seems like i would have to live in the hood to survive. which makes no sense to me.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:42 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
Quote:
Thanks summer. I know it is a lot more expensive. For 2k up here I could live almost anywhere I would like to. But where does the middle class families live. Not everyone there is rich. I know i dont need 2 vehicles and all this other stuff i have the luxury of having upstate. But how does a middle class family make it in ny with rent so high? seems like i would have to live in the hood to survive. which makes no sense to me.
"Middle class" is a strange concept here. Many of the families you see living in modest 3 bedroom apartments in Manhattan, Queens or Brooklyn are actually quite well off and would be considered "wealthy" in most other parts of the country.

Those that make more average salaries have survived here largely because they live in substandard housing with roommates *or* have lucked into one of the many rent-stabilized or affordable housing options throughout the city. However, those developments are hard to get into and are not always in safe areas--though many are in very nice neighborhoods surprisingly.

If you've got a family to take care of I think you may wish to be more cautious about blowing it all in NYC without a plan. Do you have relatives that can help you out here?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:08 AM

i realize that but roommate is out of the question seeing how it is 3 or us and need out own space. also family could help but not with living, there is no room. I am not planning on moving tomorrow or next week I am in the process of making a plan now and just want some insights on plan. I know that every neighborhood has its ups and downs and no where is safe. I live in a big city upstate. But just want a decent area or list of areas to look into where my daughter can be relatively safe. I have found some places in nice areas for under 2k. manhattan (south of harlem).also places like park slope, williamsburg what are some other nice areas to look into

Old 10-06-2011, 10:16 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Quote:
We don't live in Manhattan.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:25 AM

615 posts, read 1,676,477 times
Quote:
i realize that but roommate is out of the question seeing how it is 3 or us and need out own space. also family could help but not with living, there is no room. I am not planning on moving tomorrow or next week I am in the process of making a plan now and just want some insights on plan. I know that every neighborhood has its ups and downs and no where is safe. I live in a big city upstate. But just want a decent area or list of areas to look into where my daughter can be relatively safe. I have found some places in nice areas for under 2k. manhattan (south of harlem).also places like park slope, williamsburg what are some other nice areas to look into
- Bayridge Bklyn as mentioned
- Astoria, Queens
- Park Slope
- Williamsburg
- Carroll Gardens
- Brooklyn Heights

(I'm not sure if the above will accommodate your budget, but look into them.)

Where South of Harlem did you find an apt?

Here is an article on the "most livable" neighborhoods in the City:

New York Neighborhoods Ranked - Best Places to Live in NYC - Nate Silver -- New York Magazine

ADDENDUM: As the poster above me mentioned; Staten Island is do able as well. You have the Verrazano Bridge to cross ($$$$), but if you don't need to come into the city on a regular basis S.I. could accommodate your wants/needs.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:32 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,055 times
For 2k there is not a chance you can find a place that is a decent neighborhood. Hell 2 bd are 1600 or more and usually are small. If you put in 2k and 3 bd on CL you get BedStuy, Bushwick, Harlem. You can't afford Park Slope, you can't afford Williamsburg. Anything labeled E Williamsburg is the hood. I think you plan should include far more money to live in nice areas.

Astoria
Forest Hills
Park Slope
Williamsburg
Most of Manhattan lower then Harlem
Rego Park
Elmhurst
Flushing
Bayside

The more difficult it is to get into the city (bus to a train to another train) the cheaper it will be. If you work locally it's easy, if you work in the city, be prepared for a long haul. I live in Forest Hills. The prices are decent, 1350 for a large 1 bd. We have a baby and have the crib in the room with us. I suggest finding a 2 bd for maybe 1800 with spacious bedrooms, child in one bedroom you in the other. That's about the only way you will hit your desired price point and still have space.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:34 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
Definitely find out what your job prospects are and what you might make. It will be hard to find an apartment without proof of income and employment as well. Consider whether your wife will stay at home with the child or work as well.

Also consider that you can move closer to the city without having to move into the city. Remember living in one of the boroughs will subject you to higher taxes in addition to less for your money. Schooling is also extremely expensive in the city. You can consider living ~40 minutes away (much better than 3 hours) and having all of the amenities of the city steps away while still enjoying more space for your family, good schools options for your child, and perhaps even the chance of keeping up your landscaping business in your new town. NJ/Westchester/LI are all considerations.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:51 AM

all good points.. i googled apartments in manhattan .. a bunch 2k and below for A 2br. as for the job goes.. obviously i would get a job before moving there.. I am in the beginning of the whole process now that's why I am asking questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City