Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:27 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,443 times

Advertisements

This could be GREAT for the metro area. Benefits include denser development and desirability for Hudson County New Jersey and the Hudson Yards area of Manhattan and a decrease in traffic from Jersey.

Quote:
Mayor Bloomberg is pushing forward with a proposal to extend the No. 7 train to New Jersey and get the project locked in before he leaves City Hall in two years, The Post has learned.

Read more: Mayor Bloomberg pushing forward with a proposed subway to New Jersey - NYPOST.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 02:02 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,859,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post

This could be GREAT for the metro area. Benefits include denser development and desirability for Hudson County New Jersey and the Hudson Yards area of Manhattan and a decrease in traffic from Jersey.
This is by far the worst idea in the world , and wouldn't solve a thing when it comes transit congestion in NJ. There should be New Tunnels for Regional / Intercity Trains and a New Penn Station that would solve alot. And what about the crumbling 7 train in Queens , surly that doesn't need $$$ or the SAS which with 10 billion could be completed... I'm convinced now that this region by 2050 will be a mess due to the politicians pushing there dumb ideas over what is needed , Christie , Bloomie and other politicians need a crash course in Regional Transit....Something that sounds good on paper isn't always good in Real life. I like the fact that in this region we cancel bigger projects that would reduce the traffic and spur growth for smaller and retarded projects that do nothing and hurt the system.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:08 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
It seems its up to the port authority to solve the 7 train extendion to nj.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It seems its up to the port authority to solve the 7 train extendion to nj.
Which they wouldn't do , or raise tolls to 30$.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:10 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,608 times
Hmm I get it in a commercial sense, but if focusing on subway systems I'd be more inclined to repair some subways at the home base and definitely try to extend the L train to the end of Canarsie's Shore Parkway.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
This is by far the worst idea in the world , and wouldn't solve a thing when it comes transit congestion in NJ. There should be New Tunnels for Regional / Intercity Trains and a New Penn Station that would solve alot. And what about the crumbling 7 train in Queens , surly that doesn't need $$$ or the SAS which with 10 billion could be completed...
I agree we need new high capacity tunnel but you have to admit this is better then nothing. We need high speed rail under the Hudson connecting Boston to Washington D.C. We also need more local connections to the NJ side of the metro. This is a band-aid, but it's the start of something.

Yes it will be maximum capacity in a short time. Yes the line has it's problems.

However extending the NYC subway system outside the city is good for the metro. It creates more single fare zones. Look at Washington D.C. An extension has called for the complete urban revitalization of Tyson's Corner. Now Hudson County is already urban but this will lead to denser development close to the station. This also will offer connections to the Hudson–Bergen Light Rail.

The SAS will cost more and take longer then this project done. I agree it is a major priority but if we wait on it we will not get anything done.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I agree we need new high capacity tunnel but you have to admit this is better then nothing. We need high speed rail under the Hudson connecting Boston to Washington D.C. We also need more local connections to the NJ side of the metro. This is a band-aid, but it's the start of something.

Yes it will be maximum capacity in a short time. Yes the line has it's problems.

However extending the NYC subway system outside the city is good for the metro. It creates more single fare zones. Look at Washington D.C. An extension has called for the complete urban revitalization of Tyson's Corner. Now Hudson County is already urban but this will lead to denser development close to the station. This also will offer connections to the Hudson–Bergen Light Rail.

The SAS will cost more and take longer then this project done. I agree it is a major priority but if we wait on it we will not get anything done.
In this region Band-aids are bad ideas , because they never get fixed.. The New Tunnels are not just about HSR , there about increased Regional Rail which will service the entire NE instead a small section. Extending the Subway outside the city is not good for the city....it hurts the system.... LRT and Regional Rail serve the suburbs and not the Subways...

Old 10-27-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
In this region Band-aids are bad ideas , because they never get fixed.. The New Tunnels are not just about HSR , there about increased Regional Rail which will service the entire NE instead a small section. Extending the Subway outside the city is not good for the city....it hurts the system.... LRT and Regional Rail serve the suburbs and not the Subways...
I disagree. There are many systems that exit city limits across the country. Washington D.C. being the best example. How is an increased single-fare area a bad thing?

I understand increased capacity, but we are already pushing it.

I don't understand how you can say this will not be beneficial considering if I were a Hudson County resident I would be more then happy to take this over driving to Midtown.

I do agree that the city will often create a project, and let it later decay. I guess that's a reality we need to accept in America. We need to change it.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:41 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Won't happen.There are reasons why the NYC transit trains stop at the city line.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I disagree. There are many systems that exit city limits across the country. Washington D.C. being the best example. How is an increased single-fare area a bad thing?

I understand increased capacity, but we are already pushing it.

I don't understand how you can say this will not be beneficial considering if I were a Hudson County resident I would be more then happy to take this over driving to Midtown.

I do agree that the city will often create a project, and let it later decay. I guess that's a reality we need to accept in America. We need to change it.
It would add very little capacity in regional terms and mostly benefit Developers which Bloomie loves to get in bed with. This project has a 15% chance of actually getting built.... And the Gateway Project which would solve the regional Issues has a 90% chance of getting built. It would service the entire Northeast and double Rail Capacity. Christie needs to focus on the Gateway project and more NJ projects over projects to NYC.... Hudson County residents are still waiting for the North - South Subway to get built and alot of other transit projects.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City