Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 04:44 PM

316 posts, read 1,016,585 times

Advertisements

Lets say, in the spirit of the couchsurfing website, you honest to god just want to have guests over frequently. They are not being a nuisance to any of the other neighbors and they are not being charged to stay at your place in any way whatsoever. The only one potential downfall is that when they come by your place they may have those big backpacker bags or a piece of luggage or something. Let's say they have no fleas or bedbugs, and the max. amount of time any one individual would stay would be 10 days, max. How may this be a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 06:23 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Well, your neighbors might be concerned that strangers are going in and out of your apartment every ten days. I'm sure the majority will be fine, but if you continually get new people in, eventually someone is going to do something inappropriate. This would be a safety issue.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:31 PM

518 posts, read 1,580,203 times
Well, the frequency of "strangers" would make me feel weird, for sure. if I saw a diffeent facve in my hallway every few weeks, Id feel very unsafe - I have a kid so Im a bit of a scardy cat nowdays.

If the probs for you are part of your question: you lose your sofa/tv room. you just put your self into a studio. A very tiny studio.

Also. bed bugs are spread because no one thinks they have bed bugs. Id imagine those huge backpacks that travel in the guts of long trip buses would be prime real estate for crawlies..ack!

Old 11-01-2011, 06:45 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times
[quote=El_Mero_Mero;21533340]
Quote:
They are not being a nuisance to any of the other neighbors

Do you share the apt with someone?? You're guest are none of your neighbor's business unless they are making a lot of noise or harrassing them.

Quote:
they are not being charged to stay at your place in any way whatsoever.

You should charge them and make a business out of it. A low fee of like 10 to 25 bucks a day. Still cheaper than a hostel ($200 for 10 days).

Quote:
The only one potential downfall is that when they come by your place they may have those big backpacker bags or a piece of luggage or something. Let's say they have no fleas or bedbugs,

Where are they sleeping?? Just go to Target and buy some sheet covers and plastic covers for a bed and luggage

Old 11-01-2011, 06:50 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero_Mero View Post
Lets say, in the spirit of the couchsurfing website, you honest to god just want to have guests over frequently. They are not being a nuisance to any of the other neighbors and they are not being charged to stay at your place in any way whatsoever. The only one potential downfall is that when they come by your place they may have those big backpacker bags or a piece of luggage or something. Let's say they have no fleas or bedbugs, and the max. amount of time any one individual would stay would be 10 days, max. How may this be a problem?
I don't think it would be a problem for you if you like the company. Just be mindful that your guests might treat you like a free hotel and start inviting themselves over unannounced.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:50 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,274 times
I lived in Jersey City and I was paying a ton of money for a studio apartment. The lease clearly stated that there was an occupancy limit of 2 people per studio. My neighbor had the same type of studio and "temporarily" had his grandmother, aunts, uncles, friends, and god knows who else living there. Normally, I would mind my own business, but when it starts to infringe on your quality of life, you need to get involved.

If I was paying a ton of money and working my behind off to live in a decent place, and my neighbor was inviting all sorts of freeloading riff raff in from off the street, I would have a problem with it.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:44 PM

316 posts, read 1,016,585 times
It wouldn't be just random people though, it would be people that one has already established some sort of a connection with online.

But all of you make valid points.

BTW, I lived with Bed Bugs for a year in my mother's apt. (and it was so bad that I started using them to time my sleep). Luckily, that place has been free of them since Aug. 2010. And, all though travellers w/ backpacks may have this dirty-hippy image, you know well as any body that has lived in a major city. You're more likely to get critters in your apartment from a dirty next door neighbor.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:28 PM

365 posts, read 502,104 times
Wait a minute...so the people would be people you meet online? Or family members? If they're just strangers from off line, I, as your neighbor, would be freaked out. I mean, an online stranger with a backpack.....that imagery alone sounds creepy.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:48 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
It wouldn't be just random people though, it would be people that one has already established some sort of a connection with online.

But all of you make valid points.

BTW, I lived with Bed Bugs for a year in my mother's apt. (and it was so bad that I started using them to time my sleep). Luckily, that place has been free of them since Aug. 2010. And, all though travellers w/ backpacks may have this dirty-hippy image, you know well as any body that has lived in a major city. You're more likely to get critters in your apartment from a dirty next door neighbor.
Don't fool yourself. Having a revolving door of travellers significantly increases your risk of getting bedbugs. And therefore increases the risk for your neighbors as well.

That said, I don't think that your neighbors would have the right to tell you not to have travellers repeatedly staying with you as long as you are not violating the terms of your lease, or affecting your neighbors' lease (right to quiet enjoyment) and not violating the illegal hotels law.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:56 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
For whom would it be a problem? It's evidently not a problem for you if you want to have guests over frequently. And they're not bothering any of the neighbors. I don't think it presents any problems to anyone...so long as they aren't putting their luggage someplace where you don't want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City