Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 06:49 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,172,575 times

Advertisements

Residential parking permits in NYC? What do you think? It is being considered citywide.

Examples I know of are Miami and Washington D.C.

I feel this may be counter-intuative for what our city is trying to achieve. It may make ownership of an automobile more desireable considering you now have a place to park. At the same time, price it high enough or limit and it may not.

I think the city should better focus on other methods of decreasing the desirability of ownership such as: reducing the city-wide speed limit, elliminate residential parking minimums, congestion pricing, raising the cost of metered parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 06:47 AM

9,249 posts, read 24,108,710 times
As someone who lives in a NYC neighborhood that gets invaded every day by Westchester residents who park their cars and hop on subways and express busses downtown,I kind of like the idea of limiting the parking on residential streets to residents of the area.

My building/block is strategically positioned 1 block from a parkway exit and 1.5 blocks from a subway stop that has diamond train rush hour service and a midtown express bus stop. Not a good combination
It is also known as relatively low crime area so word has been out for decades that the there is nice safe,free all day parking for commuters.

I am sure there are lots of other neighborhoods that also become free parking lots for Westchester and Long Island commuters.

It's also rather ironic that there is a sizable number of residents of my neighborhood who have cars in order to commute TO jobs in Westchester! When they leave for work in the morning they free up the spaces that are then filled by the Westchesterites commuting to Manhattan.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-05-2011 at 07:49 AM..

Old 11-05-2011, 10:56 PM

115 posts, read 307,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
As someone who lives in a NYC neighborhood that gets invaded every day by Westchester residents who park their cars and hop on subways and express busses downtown,I kind of like the idea of limiting the parking on residential streets to residents of the area.

My building/block is strategically positioned 1 block from a parkway exit and 1.5 blocks from a subway stop that has diamond train rush hour service and a midtown express bus stop. Not a good combination
It is also known as relatively low crime area so word has been out for decades that the there is nice safe,free all day parking for commuters.

I am sure there are lots of other neighborhoods that also become free parking lots for Westchester and Long Island commuters.

It's also rather ironic that there is a sizable number of residents of my neighborhood who have cars in order to commute TO jobs in Westchester! When they leave for work in the morning they free up the spaces that are then filled by the Westchesterites commuting to Manhattan.
I used to live next to the subway, and had similar issues so I completely agree with your whole post. What made it worse was that it wasn't really Westchester and LI commuters, but mostly just lazy people who lived in Throgs Neck and didn't feel like getting up 15 minutes early to wait for the bus. With two buses (Bx40 and 42) that go directly to the subway, there was just no excuse. I would have loved it if we had a residential pass back then, but now I don't live somewhere it's a concern. Though I do support it.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:37 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,225,554 times
Quote:
I feel this may be counter-intuative for what our city is trying to achieve.

According to who?

Last edited by availableusername; 11-06-2011 at 12:53 AM..

Old 11-07-2011, 02:35 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,824,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post

I think the city should better focus on other methods of decreasing the desirability of ownership such as: reducing the city-wide speed limit, elliminate residential parking minimums, congestion pricing, raising the cost of metered parking.

you mean taking away people's freedom?

Why the hypocrisy?

Why not simply outlaw cars altogether?

Moderator cut: Off-topic

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-07-2011 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: Off-topic

Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,254,440 times
Back to the topic.

While I like the idea because I think it will force more residents to register and insure their cars here, I do admit it has drawbacks. When I lived in LA, a friend lived in a neighborhood w/ residential permits and when I would visit it would be impossible to find a place to park. Of course in NYC we have viable transportation alternatives in the neighborhoods where the idea of permits is popular.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:08 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,396,133 times
I am all for the residential permit, except that it should be a permit for any NYC resident to park in any NYC neighborhood. The invasion by NJ/LI/Westchester residents every day taking parking spaces needs to stop.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:04 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,725,452 times
Has there been any buzz on exactly how much the city plans to charge for these permits?

What's the cost of parking (in a lot) per month, like $450 in Manhattan?

Depending on how much the parking permits will cost and how long they're good for, it sounds like a nice deal to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City