Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 05:16 PM

28 posts, read 63,901 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to south jersey and am planning on a visit to NYC with 2 young kids. I plan to drive up to NYC but am wondering should I drive right in to NYC? And if so should I park somewhere and take some other form of transportation or should I drive my own car to somewhere and then walk? If so where should I park that is within reasonable walking distance to most sites...I was also thinking maybe I should just take some sort of tour bus that stops at the sites and lets you on and off??

Of course I've heard that driving is a nightmare in NYC and so I am just trying to plan ahead a bit so I dont just drive into NYC and am completely lost on what to do...or where to go...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 06:37 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethw001 View Post
Of course I've heard that driving is a nightmare in NYC and so I am just trying to plan ahead a bit so I dont just drive into NYC and am completely lost on what to do...or where to go...
Driving around NYC from place to place is pointless. Either take New Jersey Transit in and skip driving in entirely, or park in one place (look up garages beforehand) and go from there. The rest depends on what you want to see.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:24 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
When we lived in Delaware we drove to the nearest New Jersey Transit station (in our case, Trenton) and took the train from there. I can't imagine that you would want to drive into NYC itself. Besides, the train itself will be fun for your kids! Don't try to pack everything into a day, either; you'll be living close enough that you'll have ample opportunities to go back in the future. Take it easy and just enjoy walking around, maybe pick a few highlights and go from there.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:23 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
If you want to look for parking, check out http://nyc.bestparking.com or http://iconparkingsystems.com/for discounted rates. Are you bringing a regular sized vehicle with you? If you have a van, or an SUV, look for an open lot as many garages either have limited spaces for vehicles of that size, and if they do have spaces, charge significantly more. You can get weekend special rates in areas that are close to the Lincoln and Holland Tunnels on the west side, from which you can walk, take the bus, subway, etc. to places that you want to go. The train can also be convenient to Penn Station, but with several people, the cost could exceed driving. If you do drive, plan to arrive earlier in the day on a weekend, as that will help avoid traffic delays at the tunnels.

Initially, you may want to plan a trip to take the Grey Line bus, where you can hop on and off. In the Spring, you may want to take a Circle Line Cruise. You can also easily get to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island from Liberty State Park in NJ, and also don't miss the science center for your kids. You should also visit the Museum of Natural History and the Planetarium, as well as a multitude of museums.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-06-2011, 09:44 PM

715 posts, read 2,510,490 times
I recommend driving to Secaucus Junction and taking the train into New York Penn Station; 12 minute ride. Don't drive in to NYC...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: