Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:46 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times

Advertisements

I like the fact that a second basketball team is heading back to NYC, what I hate is the location. Traffic is bad enough as it is between Atlantic Ave, Fulton Ave and Flatbush...but it'll be ten times worse. Even the artists portrayal in the picture is misleading because they make it appear is if there are only a few cars on the street, when in fact it will be jammed packed even more than it is now (if it were possible). The artist should have drawn cars backed up for blocks in all directions with people everywhere. Flatbush between Atlantic and 4th Ave is a mess between rush hour leading up to the Manhattan bridge and it will just get beyond ridiculous with the Barclay's center. Street parking is another issue altogether and since downtown Brooklyn already sucks as it is, I am sure the NYPD will have nothing but a good time running a ticket blitz down there.

I personally think they should have put the stadium down in the Coney Island area where it is far more spacious and would help in the gentrification of the area. But I have neither the deep pockets or the political say so to do anything about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 11:10 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullingHairs View Post
"New York, NY" has always been synonymous with the borough of Manhattan/New York county.
"New York, NY" refers to the postal city, not the actual city.

Quote:
The majority of Brooklyn simply uses "Brooklyn, NY" ...
"Brooklyn, NY" refers to the postal city, not the borough of New York City.

Quote:
... while many neighborhoods in Queens seem to use neighborhood or postal designations (e.g. Jamaica, Bayside, Astoria, Ridgewood) ...
The custom in Queens was/is to use the name of the postal station (branch) of the postal city (Long Island City, Flushing, Jamaica, Far Rockaway) that serviced that part of the New York City Borough of Queens.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:43 PM

87 posts, read 236,271 times
as if Barclays Center isn't bad enough - am I the only one that thinks it's RIDICULOUS that they don't change their team name? Brooklyn Nets?
Sounds a little too much like Brooklynettes. Oh, well, fine by me, I'm a Mavs fan. Let's go DIRK!

Old 11-21-2011, 06:55 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
it's both a gift and a curse. while it might revitalize downtown brooklyn, i predict it will be a gridlock behemoth.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:59 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I like the fact that a second basketball team is heading back to NYC, what I hate is the location. Traffic is bad enough as it is between Atlantic Ave, Fulton Ave and Flatbush...but it'll be ten times worse.
You're probably right; it's going to make an already messy traffic situation even worse. But I believe the thinking was that people would take advantage of the fact that no fewer than 9 subway lines plus LIRR are there to serve the arena. (The ones with common sense won't drive there, in other words. For the others...it will be fun listening to them complain).

Old 11-26-2011, 01:17 PM

88 posts, read 201,596 times
Quote:
many neighborhoods in Queens seem to use neighborhood or postal designations (e.g. Jamaica, Bayside, Astoria, Ridgewood), but as you suggest, this is essentially redundant these days as the USPS is now relying on zipcode+street address alone.
Yea- I've seen how the official address for Citi Field is listed as "Flushing, NY" rather than "Queens, NY".

Anyway, it seems as if each of the NYC outer boroughs (Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx) has its own identity. So it must be more proper to say "I live in [insert borough name]", instead of merely saying "I live in New York City".

I wonder what J-Lo (Bronx native) and Adam Sandler (Brooklyn native) would say.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho79 View Post
Yea- I've seen how the official address for Citi Field is listed as "Flushing, NY" rather than "Queens, NY".
That's because "Flushing, NY" is a postal city, "Queens, NY" is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho79 View Post
Anyway, it seems as if each of the NYC outer boroughs (Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx) has its own identity. So it must be more proper to say "I live in [insert borough name]", instead of merely saying "I live in New York City".
Because the USPS did not combine the several postal cities when the new New York City was formed on January 1, 1898, folks continued to use the name of their postal city, except in Queens, where they used the name of the postal station (branch) of the postal city.

The problem of non-conforming postal zones is not limited to New York City.

More than half the addresses on Long Island (Nassau County and Suffolk County) are not in the community that is listed in their mailing address.

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 3 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

This pattern is repeated all over the U.S. That's why you should never assume you live in the community named in your location's mailing address. You have to check the property tax bill to figure out in which community your property is located.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:23 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times
Hahaha Walter Greenspan, what's with you and postal addresses.

Anyway, what are people's opinions on the following: If NYC continues its upward trend and its population continues to grow, will each borough be able to support its own teams someday?

Old 11-27-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Hahaha Walter Greenspan, what's with you and postal addresses.
The USPS lies when they instruct folks to use "city/town, state and ZIP Code" in the last line of their mailing address when they really want "postal city/postal town, postal state and ZIP Code". I don't like to be lied to.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:03 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The USPS lies when they instruct folks to use "city/town, state and ZIP Code" in the last line of their mailing address when they really want "postal city/postal town, postal state and ZIP Code". I don't like to be lied to.
Well I guess, but it's pretty irrelevant these days. As long as you have the right street address and the right zip code, you can pretty much put whatever town you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City