Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 03:19 PM

169 posts, read 698,228 times

Advertisements

I have seen many people doing it. I moved here from CA a while ago. I am trying to teach my older kid not to cross street till seeing the crossing sign. She always asks me why other people do not wait and just cross whenever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 03:51 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsky View Post
She always asks me why other people do not wait and just cross whenever.
My favorite answer to that "but everyone else is doing it" question is the one my mom used with me "Well they didn't have me as a mother"

Old 03-11-2010, 05:51 PM

457 posts, read 1,344,893 times
new yorkers don't need a sign to tell them when it's safe to cross the street like californians do.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:56 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,351 times
It's not legal, but it's one of those those laws that cops put in their backpocket.. meaning that no one is going to say anything if you do. Just to clarify, crossing on a red is NOT jaywalking.. which is what it seems like your post is talking about. Most of us, myself included, will just cross the street whenever no cars are coming.. jaywalking is walking into the middle of the street, and waiting there while you don't have the right of way.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:28 PM

169 posts, read 698,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
It's not legal, but it's one of those those laws that cops put in their backpocket.. meaning that no one is going to say anything if you do. Just to clarify, crossing on a red is NOT jaywalking.. which is what it seems like your post is talking about. Most of us, myself included, will just cross the street whenever no cars are coming.. jaywalking is walking into the middle of the street, and waiting there while you don't have the right of way.
My friend who moved from NY to CA got a jaywalking ticket in his first week moving there.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:36 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,351 times
I have seen numerous people cross the street like this in front of cops, with cops, near cops.. and a ticket has never been handed out. I guess it's possible to get a ticket, but you'd have to get "that one cop".

Old 03-11-2010, 10:15 PM

11 posts, read 60,726 times
i also thought jaywalking was if you cross the street but not at a signal - but i guess it makes sense it if includes crossing at a signal which is red for pedestrians

Old 03-13-2010, 05:33 AM

188 posts, read 662,671 times
In california, crossing on a red IS jaywalking. But I can tell you that I moved to NYC from california and I have walked on a red in front of numerous cops. You will look weird and get hassled by the hop on hop off tour bus guys if you DON'T follow the crowd and cross on the red. I think it's a lost cause to tell someone to wait for the walk sign in manhattan.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:19 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times
It's illegal, but luckily the one time the city tried to enforce it, they happened to nab a law student who was working for a notorious legal gadfly, so they dropped it like a hot potato.

If it's any consolation, when I'm at a curb and see a parent standing there patiently holding a child's hand, I wait, too.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:40 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsky View Post
I have seen many people doing it. I moved here from CA a while ago. I am trying to teach my older kid not to cross street till seeing the crossing sign. She always asks me why other people do not wait and just cross whenever.
I think you're going to be getting this question quite a bit:

Mom (or Dad), why do we have to wait til the subway riders exit the train before getting on when everyone else is pushing their way in?

Mom, why do I have to find a trash can to put my trash in when I see trash all over the street?

Why can't I use swear words when all the other people are swearing?

Why are cars illegally parked, running red lights, speeding up at yellow lights, swerving in and out of traffic and tailgating when you're not supposed to do those things?

etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City