Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 11:39 AM

5 posts, read 11,219 times

Advertisements

I work right by Grand Central station, and I currently live on LI and have a ~90 minute commute, so I'm looking to move out and cut my commute down.

My budget is around 1500 a month for either a studio or 1 BR, and so far, I've found Sunnyside to be the best option as it fits my budget, and has a very short commute.

Is there anything else I should consider? Brooklyn seems to be further/more expensive, I can find studios on the UES that are cheap enough but they are tiny.

The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on Sunnyside is because my parents would like to buy a condo wherever I choose to live for investment purposes, and have me be their first "tenant". There are very very few condos in Sunnyside so I want to see what else is out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 03:59 PM

43,695 posts, read 44,455,186 times
I suggest that you consider Astoria, Rego Park and Forest Hills in Queens.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:14 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,817,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allysan1027 View Post
I work right by Grand Central station, and I currently live on LI and have a ~90 minute commute, so I'm looking to move out and cut my commute down.

My budget is around 1500 a month for either a studio or 1 BR, and so far, I've found Sunnyside to be the best option as it fits my budget, and has a very short commute.

Is there anything else I should consider? Brooklyn seems to be further/more expensive, I can find studios on the UES that are cheap enough but they are tiny.

The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on Sunnyside is because my parents would like to buy a condo wherever I choose to live for investment purposes, and have me be their first "tenant". There are very very few condos in Sunnyside so I want to see what else is out there.
Then it is not about YOUR budget, but about theirs!!

I suggest you look for a roommate situation in Hunters Point!!

In every way, YOU can't get better than that.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:32 PM

912 posts, read 2,100,378 times
Rego Park and Forrest hills are too far from Manhattan. Sunnyside is ideal

Old 02-08-2013, 04:48 PM

420 posts, read 824,047 times
Sunnyside, Astoria, Long Island City. Greenpoint and Williamsburg shouldn't be too bad of a commute either.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:51 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,308,332 times
Union City, Wehawken, Hoboken. Take the midtown ferry. No need for a car.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:27 PM

158 posts, read 139,128 times
Depends on your definition of too far. Forest Hills is only 20 minutes away from Midtown on the express E and F trains. Certainly longer than the commute from Sunnyside but not by too much .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Rego Park and Forrest hills are too far from Manhattan. Sunnyside is ideal

Old 02-08-2013, 05:27 PM

912 posts, read 2,100,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Union City, Wehawken, Hoboken. Take the midtown ferry. No need for a car.
Why would he live in New Jersey? Epic fail

Old 02-08-2013, 05:43 PM

4,321 posts, read 4,210,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhubaba View Post
Depends on your definition of too far. Forest Hills is only 20 minutes away from Midtown on the express E and F trains. Certainly longer than the commute from Sunnyside but not by too much .
Neither E or F stop anywhere close to GC. You need to transfer. I would look for Long Island City, Woodside, Sunnyside, in that exact order.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:04 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,847 times
Grand Central? Any neighborhoods on the Lexington Ave line north to Mott Haven in the Bronx will get you there in less than 30 minutes. The farther north, generally the cheaper (going northbound that is).

In the Upper East, the closer the East River, the cheaper, the longer walk to the subway station. Generally.

Explore East Harlem, see how you feel. A few blocks north of the UES can save you big. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City