Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 04:02 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,598 times

Advertisements

Living and working in the Center of the Big Apple- Manhattan- used to be a dream of many kids who lived in places like Brooklyn and the Bronx. In the past a large number of New York residents lived their whole life never leaving their neighborhoods let alone going into Manhattan.

While the average person is more worldly today, I wonder if there is still a number of people who live in places like The Bronx, Stanton Island, Queens, or Brooklyn who just never got around to seeing Manhattan.

Do you know of anyone like that and how common is this among New Yorkers in 2011?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 04:22 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,071,056 times
Very few,if any,New Yorkers have "never been To Manhattan."

More interesting and much more widespread, is the number of New Yorkers who "haven't been to Manhattan in years " or decades and the number who have no desire to go to Manhattan,for any reason, even though it's only 25 or 30 minutes away.
I know lots of people in these categories.

It's fascinating to me that so many New Yorkers could care less about a part of the city that the rest of the world seems in awe of or captivated by.

I once went a whole year without setting foot on the streets of Manhattan even though I rode underneath them on the subway twice a day, going from home in Brooklyn to work in The Bronx and back.

It's not necessarily a matter of "wordliness". During the above period I left NY State many times and left the country twice.
I just never had a reason during that period to go to Manhattan because I was living in Brooklyn.

Queens is really the only borough that is indispensable to all NY'ers.......because it has the airports.

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-01-2011 at 05:17 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 05:47 AM

19,037 posts, read 13,948,655 times
I definitely don't consider myself or anyone else "worldly" due to our time spent in Manhattan. I value my time spent outside of NYC much more than my time spent in it.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:51 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,912 times
Yes, usually low income children.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
I knew middle aged people from Bayonne and Jersey City who have never been to Manhattan. Just BIZARRE!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:15 AM

650 posts, read 1,811,796 times
It always amazes me when I meet life long new yorkers who don't know how to navigate the streets of manhattan. It's so easy but they get lost. These are usually people who live in the deep outer boroughs and work locally. They don't know all the fun places that's available just minutes away.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,512,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Queens is really the only borough that is indispensable to all NY'ers.......because it has the airports.
Even that isn't a guarantee as Newark is about a half hour drive or less drive if you're on the West side of Manhattan. I fly quite frequently and have been to Queens twice in as many years.

There's a subset of people that live in Manhattan that haven't been to many places in it. I dated a girl a few years ago that lived on the Upper West Side and had never in her life been to lower Manhattan (those were her words, although I'm not sure what exact boundaries she was referring to.)

Old 12-01-2011, 02:40 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,071,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
E

There's a subset of people that live in Manhattan that haven't been to many places in it. I dated a girl a few years ago that lived on the Upper West Side and had never in her life been to lower Manhattan (those were her words, although I'm not sure what exact boundaries she was referring to.)
This is so true.I know someone who lives on the UES who never,ever goes to the West Side,above 96th st or below 42nd St .Her whole world happens in that very small area of Manhattan.She has been living in NYC for 40 years and she thought The Bronx was a neighborhood until I set her straight.She was flabbergasted when I told her that The Bronx was the same size as Philadelphia.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:57 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,281 times
I know one person who lives on Staten Island that has never been to Manhattan. And I know several people that live on SI that haven't been to the city in at least a decade. Two of them worked in the city on 9/11 and refuse to go back.

My thing is, if you have no reason to go, then there is no reason to be there. Some of my friends in LI hate the city and thus, they never go.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:33 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,509 times
Mostly people who are low income, like nykiddo said, and too 'busy' occupying themselves around their neighborhood. I go to Manhattan every other week. If I go 2 weeks w.o, i might go crazy haha. It's at least one of the pleasures in life. TBH, I haven't been to the Bronx in many years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City