Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 03:10 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,437 times

Advertisements

As far as I'm concerned, the Yankees and most professional sports teams are a "brand". If you're wearing a Yankees cap, I don't see that as any different than someone wearing a cap that says "Hollister" or "Gap".

Some people in Boston haven't figured this out yet however, as I sure heard a lot of noise when I entered a sportsbar there and inadvertently wore a Yankees t-shirt--on a game day. Ooopsie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 08:48 PM

762 posts, read 1,749,880 times
What is a "fitted?" Never heard that term for apparel. Does it refer to a tank top or the baseball cap?

I see Yankees apparel as just representing New York City, not necessarily the team itself or of being a fan. In any case, I have never understood why a favorite sports team would be considered part of someone's identity. Who cares, really?

Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So I've been living in New York for about 8 months now. I'm a born and raised Philadelphian, which means I'm a die-hard Iggles fan, a die-hard Sixers fan and a die-hard Phillies fan.

But after living here for a while, I've noticed that 1 out of 3 people seems to be wearing a Yankee fitted at all times. I really don't like the Yankees. But there's something kinda cool about wearing that steel-blue Yank when you're actually in New York City. My friend moved here before me and used to profess his disdain for the Yanks constantly, but now he's got a Yankees jersey and he even goes to many of the games. I don't know what it is that makes me want to wear that hat. It's like these Brooklyn streets are playing a jedi mind trick on me.

I've also noticed that Black Thought from the Roots wears a Yank fitted. So does Beanie Sigel at times. They're from Philadelphia and no one gives them a hard time about it. It's just a fashion statement, right? It feels wrong to wear one, but on the other hand, something about wearing one just feels so right when living here.

Has anyone else moved to NYC and had this dilemma?
I had a similiar dilemna. When I moved back to NY for college, I had been in DC and thus an Orioles fan. That meant the occassional game in Bawlmer when my parents felt like making the trek in the car.

But, now I had not one but two ballparks within easy subway rides. Also, the fans there were (and remain) bigger baseball fans than those in DC (not Baltimore though).

Factor in this was the early/mid 80s and the Yankees were the biggest soap opera in town. I caught the end of the George and Billy show. And any team that included Henderson and Winfiled was worth watching.

So it was hard not to develop a liking for the Yankees. But I am an Os fan! How to reconcile? Basically, the Os come first. Always will. But if the Yanks pass them by, as they have for the better part of the last 20 years, then I can root for them with subdued passion. Except in 1996, they have not mattered to one another.

Hyprocritical? Probably. Traiterous? Maybe. Practical? You betcha.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:53 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Quote:
What is a "fitted?" Never heard that term for apparel.
"Fitted" usually refers to shirts that are tapered to have a waistline. The opposite are shirts that are made for people shaped like oranges that fit non-obese people with a couple feet of extra material around the waist.

So if you have a good body you wear a fitted shirt...but if you are the typical baseball couch potato you wear the baggy.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:51 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
"Fitted" usually refers to shirts that are tapered to have a waistline. The opposite are shirts that are made for people shaped like oranges that fit non-obese people with a couple feet of extra material around the waist.

So if you have a good body you wear a fitted shirt...but if you are the typical baseball couch potato you wear the baggy.

LOL i'm not sure if you were just giving us some education on this, but in this context it's in reference to baseball caps with a specific size unlike the ones with the adjustable straps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City