Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 10:17 PM

16 posts, read 33,315 times

Advertisements

Hey guys i'm about to move to NYC in the next couple of months for school. I didn't get the loan for housing so i'm going to be homeless but i'm taking this risk because i'm going into the field of my dreams and figuerd it would be worth it
because there is no way in hell i can afford housing and it's the only place I can actually do my dream work in. MY school is located in chelsea and i was basically wondering where are some safe 24/7 places to stay or somewhere i can get alternative housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 10:25 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
Get a one room apartment outside the city. My friend pays 625 on 189th st

Old 08-06-2012, 10:52 PM

801 posts, read 1,105,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymira View Post
Hey guys i'm about to move to NYC in the next couple of months for school. I didn't get the loan for housing so i'm going to be homeless but i'm taking this risk because i'm going into the field of my dreams and figuerd it would be worth it
because there is no way in hell i can afford housing and it's the only place I can actually do my dream work in. MY school is located in chelsea and i was basically wondering where are some safe 24/7 places to stay or somewhere i can get alternative housing?
You really don't want to go there !!!!! Trust me !!! I come from there and i rather to be dead instead of been in a shelter, and if you are not a person from the street lifestyle ,than you going to have. It problems , just pull out at least 1,000 so you can rent a room. At the mean time!!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:10 PM

Will it really be that bad even if I stay around Chelsea and school areas like staying at 24 hr McDonald? is there any 24 hr library?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:55 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,557 times
Chelsea, so FIT? Why not get a part-time job, go to school part-time and live in Jersey. I'm not sure if your school has instate tuition, but if it does, then try to establish residence in New York State. The further you get from the city, the cheaper it will be. And since you are ok with the thought of being homeless, and hour + commute from Long Island, Westchester or Staten Island should not be a problem.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
Chelsea, so FIT? Why not get a part-time job, go to school part-time and live in Jersey. I'm not sure if your school has instate tuition, but if it does, then try to establish residence in New York State. The further you get from the city, the cheaper it will be. And since you are ok with the thought of being homeless, and hour + commute from Long Island, Westchester or Staten Island should not be a problem.

Where would you suggest looking?

Old 08-07-2012, 01:57 AM

159 posts, read 204,636 times
Keep in mind that you're going to need to go to the bathroom and presumably shower.

You should do everything you can to avoid homelessness, not embrace it as a necessity. I believe there's always a way to accomplish something if we want it bad enough - if you want this particular school bad enough for whatever reasons (and truly believe that this one and only school is the ONLY possible path leading to the career you seek - which is very unlikely btw), but you can't afford housing, I can't honestly say you should ditch the dream just because it may take hard choices. I commend you for that. But you should try everything else first - live further out as others have mentioned. Call up any friend or distant relative anywhere nearby. From stories I've heard, it's better to stay on the street than in most shelters. Have you considered waiting a semester to save more money first? Have you considered selling anything of value you might be trying to hold onto? Or obviously, have you considered working while going to school?

If you do go the homeless route, I would look into polyphasic sleep, that's what I'd do if I was going to be homeless for a while - especially in the city where you can just hang out places at any hour or bounce around on subways all day then crash in a park for 20-30 minutes at a time.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:28 AM

33 posts, read 70,169 times
can you not just call shelters until you find a vacant bed

then go there

Old 08-07-2012, 06:15 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
How will the school accept you without a permanent address? I'm wondering how valid this is. How will tuition be paid? Who chooses homelessness? How do you plan to eat?

Old 08-07-2012, 06:48 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymira View Post
Will it really be that bad even if I stay around Chelsea and school areas like staying at 24 hr McDonald? is there any 24 hr library?
There is no 24/7 library. I suggest you find some place to stay as you will need to use a bathroom and shower. It is cheaper to find a room outside of Manhattan (Brooklyn, Queens or the Bronx). Perhaps you can find something on Craigslist. Another option would be to find a youth hostel in Manhattan which might be an alternative if you wish to stay in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City