Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 04:49 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I have zero interest in paying any more taxes, so let's just take that off the table. Secondly, I am for the congestion pricing so long as it ALL goes to improving mass transit and not simply fattening Union benefits for votes.
What about a 25¢ bag tax (for greening nyc). $1 taxi tax. That second tax came along with the 08 congestion pricing proposal.

Agree about going to mass transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 02:26 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
NO MORE TAXES. We have a plethora of taxes already on the books...why more? We pay a city income tax on top of the Fed and State income taxes..what the heck is that for? We pay surcharges on our gas and electric bills...why? We pay almost 9% sales tax, and tolls (a user tax) on lots of bridges/tunnels. HOW MUCH MORE?

So no...no more taxes. Instead we should CHARGE 25 cents for those who ask for a bag at the grocery store, for example, which would be 5 cents for the cost of the bag, and 20 cents for greening NYC. I do not want an arbitrary 25 cent "bag tax" any more than I want an arbitrary "deoderant" tax for free Arrid XXDry for the poor. Nor do I want to pay a sanitation "tax" or "fee" when we already pay for garbage removal in our current taxes!

We pay income taxes up the wazoo, and sales taxes...and you just want to keep doubling down and adding specific taxes for bags? greening? painting? street cleaning? public schools? sidewalk repair? THESE ARE WHAT OUR TAXES ARE ALREADY GOING FOR.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:20 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,749 times
NYC Takes Aim At Plastic Bags With Proposed 10 Cent Surcharge

A new bill announced today on the steps of City Hall aims to rid our fair city of a most foul scourge: plastic bags. Under the proposed legislation, retail and grocery stores would charge consumers at least 10 cents per plastic bag used. Though the same charge would also be levied upon paper bags, the bill's sponsors made it clear today in a press conference that the real target was those flimsy plastic bags we see everywhere.

NYC Takes Aim At Plastic Bags With Proposed 10 Cent Surcharge: Gothamist

Old 08-21-2013, 05:16 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post

A new bill announced today on the steps of City Hall aims to rid our fair city of a most foul scourge: plastic bags. Under the proposed legislation, retail and grocery stores would charge consumers at least 10 cents per plastic bag used. Though the same charge would also be levied upon paper bags, the bill's sponsors made it clear today in a press conference that the real target was those flimsy plastic bags we see everywhere.

So then why tax the PAPER bags? Is a frontal lobotomy required for ALL politicians so that any semblance of logic is removed? What about TEA BAGS? They also share the word "bag." Baguettes?

Old 08-21-2013, 05:19 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
So why dont we make it easy here in Tax City...just turn over your entire paycheck each week.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:42 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
I bring my own bags to the supermarket. So no biggie.
And actually charging for plastic bags is something that has been for many years in Europe. Nothing new or revolutionary about it.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:50 AM

483 posts, read 870,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
So why dont we make it easy here in Tax City...just turn over your entire paycheck each week.
Some of us who are single or divorced and don't have kids feel like paychecks get hijacked each week. To avoid 10-cent bag tax, we will use "green" shopping bags or borrow used supermarket (Key Food) plastic bags in Trader Joe's and Whole Foods stores thorughout New York City.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:10 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,611 times
Charging for bags and forcing people to bring their own bags results in a sharp rise in shoplifting and health issues because the brought bags are dirty. Read the research on it. Might work in Europe where people are clean and good, but not here.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:12 AM
LI-

26 posts, read 33,371 times
No tax but I would suggest having a box at every store where you can place the plastic bags in for recycling. Butttt we should tax hipsters a surcharge for pushing rents up in NYC.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:31 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post

I actually use those plastic bags as my trash bags at home. I think its rather unsanitary to keep reusing bags unless you wash them after every use and who has time for that. Not to mention all the waste of water for that. Another point is many NY-ers are like me and stop by the super market several times a week after work and doing something so unless one always carries around a bag they won't have it with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: