Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:19 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I agree. The handouts need to stop.
What's the matter with you guys? I don't know where racism would enter into this, but the person is trying to earn some money. Can you possibly not be aware of all the people who are jobless through no fault of their own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 07:26 PM

22 posts, read 42,239 times
"I moved to an expensive city without a contingency plan for a financial setback and now I am going to make it my landlord's problem unless I can scam money from the state!"

Old 12-26-2011, 07:31 PM

6 posts, read 26,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by critical thinking View Post
"I moved to an expensive city without a contingency plan for a financial setback and now I am going to make it my landlord's problem unless I can scam money from the state!"
You dont know **** so stop posting here. I was born and raised here. I paid taxes all my life and never asked for a handout. Now I am going through a tough time and I just need a little help.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:33 PM

6 posts, read 26,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
This may be your lucky day, so to speak. The lucky part, for you, is that I just posted information about resources for people facing problems like eviction.

The discouraging part for me, is although I recently posted here for future reference, you obviously didn't bother to do a search, nor did anyone point out to you that I just provided the information within the last two weeks.

You didn't mention some critical details - whether you're stabilized, whether you just had a threatening letter from the landlord or if it has reached the point of involving the marshal, whether you've discussed the problem with the landlord previously. Actually, I suspect you're lucky that your landlord waited this long.

I'm reposting the numbers, and suggest that you call the one at the bottom immediately - Eviction Intervention.

Rent Stabilization 212-385-2934
DHCR (Housing and Community Renewal) stabilization hotline 718-739-6400
Attorney General consumer help line 800-771-7755
Tenant harrassment 212-240-6021
Legal aid for seniors 417-3880
Eviction Intervention 212-308-2210

[URL]http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/1447003-useful-numbers-renters-trouble.html[/URL]

Also, if I may say so, to me it's a bad sign that you didn't search. If you want to get through this, you have to be aggressively looking for help, not just posting a plea and expecting others to rush to your aid. I suggest you start by doing a search of this forum, since there may have been helpful solutions in the past, and then proceed with your telephone book plus Google.

Good luck with generating some income. Despite some of the rudeness here, most of us know that times are tough.
It is a rent stabilized/control building. The notice was from the courts.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:34 PM

22 posts, read 42,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongheart4 View Post
I'm a bum.
We know!

Old 12-26-2011, 07:35 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by critical thinking View Post
Racist? You have, for all intents and purposes, stolen thousands of dollars from your landlord and are scheming to steal more from either him or from the taxpayer. NYC in 2011 is no place for a deadbeat like you.
You should run for office, sound just like a politician. Or become a radio talk show host.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:41 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongheart4 View Post
It is a rent stabilized/control building. The notice was from the courts.
You're welcome.

Now it's up to you.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:35 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
What's the matter with you guys? I don't know where racism would enter into this, but the person is trying to earn some money. Can you possibly not be aware of all the people who are jobless through no fault of their own?
In these tough economic times we don't need more people asking for hand outs, sucking up the city's resources, just because they're getting evicted. Just go back to living with mommy or some other relative until you get back on your feet.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:11 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,498 times
There's no reason not to have a job in the IT field unless your skills are obsolete, or you're a jerk. What's the deal?

Old 12-27-2011, 05:08 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Some of you are ignorant jerks!

First, a person pays there taxes to the benefit of others, then they are entitled to receive the same such benefit when in need.

Second, IT skills become obsolete ALL THE TIME! For example, your company chooses not to upgrade their hardware or software, years pass, and whalla your skill set is out of date. The only alternative when that happens is to act quickly and find another job, before it is too late. This in itself posses a difficulty, as when there is technology change, many companies seek personnel who already have the new skill sets. So, one must seek a company accepting the present skill sets, AND which will be moving to the new technology soon. Not the easiest find.

Moreover, the IT field has gone through extreme changes, very few fields are secure in these days of outsourcing. Everything from programming to networking is being outsourced, and the effect of this is not only the loss of jobs, but downward pressure on pay scales. If not outsourcing then temporary/consultants are used in place of permanent personnel. IT is no longer and hasn't been for some time the guaranteed job and high pay it once was. Anyone entering the field today does so at great risk, unless their skills are HIGHLY specialized and developed. These days 'Cloud' structure is all the rage, and only the most sensitive data and network structure is kept outside the Cloud, requiring in-house in-country personnel.

So unless you are fully aware of an industries happenings....shhhhhhesh!

All that said, too many people in financial trouble fail to make prudent decisions at the most prudent time. In circumstances like the OP's, it w/h been prudent to have decided after a few weeks that he could no longer afford his apartment and take proper action, rather than waiting on hope.

Missed a month's rent, and no job in site, then its time to make the hard decision. Time to pack up, get a storage unit and move with family, friends, or significant other, or find a cheaper place.

Sympathizing with someone who has hit hard times for whatever reason s/b easy, but just because one has hit hard times it is not fair to visit your hard times upon your landlord!!!!!

Owing your LL $5000 in back rent is just irresponsible. Your LL has bills to pay too. This is the crux of the negativity toward the OP.

Glad you've got your Hack license, but it will take time for you to learn to make decent money driving a cab.

In any event, the 'system' is rightly structure to prevent homelessness, and well it should. Welfare or whatever it is called today, provides a "one shot deal" which will pay the rent for people such as yourself----one time ONLY!

In the future, make the hard decisions sooner!

Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City