Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:54 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
No, it's because they want people to think the space is bigger. The inaccuracy always is in the upward direction. I have never once seen a place advertised as a certain number of square feet and arrived to find the apartment bigger than advertised.

If it were simply a matter of not knowing how to measure, then there should be some (half) the cases where you arrive to find the apartment is larger, not smaller, and this never happens.
I never said brokers don't exaggerate on the size of spaces, I was saying people are bad at gauging space. I see it happen everyday at my job over the simplest of things.

But you are also correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 12:12 PM

241 posts, read 591,710 times
where are you from? Sometimes local Ikeas have set up with square footage listed out. That can give you an idea how big your bedroom is, how big your living room is if you at least have a floorplan.

The trick is what kind of wall space do you have. That's where you're going to put furniture.

631 is not small by NYC standards. That's actually not necessarily small by many metro standards, but certainly not roomy either. What size is your current apartment?

NY realtors (like any realtors) do lie. I would expect that if they told you it's 631 sq ft, it's going to feel (or actually measure out as usable space) closer to 531 sq ft. Still very livable.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:27 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Realtors always lie about square footage by at least 100 sq feet.
As a realtor I never tell my clients the square footage of an apartment unless the landlord supplies it. I will give them room sizes however.

A client tried to sue after one of our agents told him his estimated square footage, which turned out to be way off, and that put an end to it lol.

Last edited by sheaosaurus; 01-02-2012 at 04:35 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 AM

9 posts, read 14,892 times
Default Re:

It's a very nice building. The living room is 17'2 x 11'5 ... The more I look at the floor plan and picture it, the more I realize how small it really is but it's okay! It's midtown manhattan. I think 631 square feet for one person is actually lucky of me to have. People have come to me and told me their apartments are 398 sq feet, or 490 square feet... No one has said anything above 600. So while it's going to be super tight... thats new york for you! Thank you so much for all your replies!

Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 AM

Default floorplan

here is the floorplan.... everything is right in your face when you walk in the door but honestly... it's just me and my 6 pound dog. I think we are paying for location and a nice building over the space.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:32 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Looks like about 450 sq ft tops to me but I'm sure you'll be fine for a while.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:56 AM

Default re:

sincerely doubt that it's only 450 sq feet but i guess we shall see...

Old 01-03-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownWestBest View Post
sincerely doubt that it's only 450 sq feet but i guess we shall see...
Triple the size of the BR(12.5X11 =137sq ft) and add just a tad and you are there ! 3x 137=411.The br (including the closet) dimensions are the only ones you can use as a guide because they are the only ones given with defined walls.The 631 figure has to include a proportioned amount of common space in the hallways or lobby.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 AM

Do they really lie about the square footage THAT much in luxury buildings with solid management? That's kinda crazy?

Old 01-03-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownWestBest View Post
Do they really lie about the square footage THAT much in luxury buildings with solid management? That's kinda crazy?
I don't think they consider it lying,more like fudging.If pressed they will explain that you are actually also renting a portion of the common spaces like hallways,elevators,laundry rooms,etc.

If it was their intention to be completely straightforward they would include measurements for the bathroom,kitchen,interior hallway or foyer,closets,etc and the perimeter dimensions of the whole place but their intention is to deceive ,so they give measurements for 1 or 2 rooms and leave it up to you to figure(or hopefully not figure) it out.

Don't assume that you are renting in a "luxury building with solid management" either.Everyone likes to think that and the real estate people want you to think that but the truth is that most new buildings are anything but luxury.They are built of the cheapest materials and put together with staple guns and hot glue guns with virtually no soundproofing or insulation.They are put up by and managed by shysters masquerading as "solid management."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City