Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:50 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times

Advertisements

Yea, who exactly are these new wealthy "ghetto volunteers"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
This is great news. I hope this accelerates the demolition of the Sheridan Expressway, better connecting the communities on the both sides of the Bronx River. I also hope this leads to better waterfront access. I know the city likely has plans to expand the greenway from the former Hunts Point industrial facility up to Bronx Park. It only makes sense as the city enhances the waterfront city-wide.

It is great the developer is building high density, mixed zoned properties. Concerns about a lack of enhanced transit infrastructure are well warrented. I am pretty sure the Whitlock Ave stop on the 6 is under utilized but any changes on line congestion will come with the Second Ave Subway. School, we will have to look at the demographic profile of new residents. Are they families, young couples, singles? Definately a shortage of educational facilities in the area.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 01-06-2012 at 10:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 10:02 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Moderator cut: A bit personal

If by "wealthy" you mean working/middle class residents, and by "volunteers" you mean residents of the community who prefer staying instead of moving to the suburbs, as well as other NYC residents looking for quality affordable housing, then there are plenty of "wealthy volunteers" all over NYC.

Despite your name from the Whitlock ave station, you have a surprisingly limited amount of knowledge about the immediate community. If you walk a whopping 2 blocks up from the proposed development, there are rows and rows of suburban style middle class houses, with driveways, garages, grassy yards, etc...ALREADY. There is a demand for this type of housing, and it will continue to expand in the Bronx especially.

Moderator cut: Personal attack

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-08-2012 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 01-06-2012, 10:13 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
I think this is great news--the Bronx is a very underdeveloped borough with lots of potential. Aside from childish and petty territorial disputes (this is MY neighborhood outsider!) there is no reason at all to resist such new projects. Most complain about the lack of affordable housing on this forum, yet when new housing is planned for their area they get all NIMBY about it.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:28 AM

Well this was really driven by the community, as much of the new developments in the Bronx are. You will quickly learn that no matter what people/city/communities do, people will complain and be negative. That is just what alot of people do and how they lives their lives. They will find $10 dollars in the street and be depressed because they didn't find $20 dollars instead. What a depressing existence.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is great news,especially for that area ,which is pretty unattractive.BUT.

I am beginning to get a bit concerned with all this development going on in various parts of The Bronx without any substantial improvements or additions to the infrastructure .The Bronx was the fastest growing borough in the city between 2000 and 2010 and it looks like that is going to continue.My CD went from a population of 115,000 in 2000 to 150,000 in 2010 There are substantially more people living in my neighborhood than ever and that's without any of this new development going on in the South Bronx.
Is this a new level of population or just recovery back to the pre-arson pre-1970s population of the South Bronx?

Old 01-07-2012, 10:00 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Is this a new level of population or just recovery back to the pre-arson pre-1970s population of the South Bronx?
It's recovering the BX reached it's peak at around 1.6 mill in 1980 and then it dropped to 1.2 by 1990, now it's increasing at a little over 1.4 million ppl.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:45 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Well this was really driven by the community, as much of the new developments in the Bronx are. You will quickly learn that no matter what people/city/communities do, people will complain and be negative. That is just what alot of people do and how they lives their lives. They will find $10 dollars in the street and be depressed because they didn't find $20 dollars instead. What a depressing existence.
I agree. Lately I look on the floor so that I can find a lost iphone and sell it so I can get a Franklin and a few Hamilton's.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:02 AM

Here is a video about the upcoming development. You can see quite clearly the absymal, decayed industrial area it has become, and the transition to a new middle class green enclave is nothing short than staggering.

New Bronx Development To Provide Housing And Jobs - NY1.com

In regards to bluedog's comment, I am in agreement that infrastructure, as in sewers, upgraded electrical, transportation, etc needs to be a part of all this new development bringing massive amounts of residents to the Bronx, Southern Bronx in particular. The growth is really picking up steam, and I don't see a concurrent increase in substantial infrastructure improvement. Maybe it is happening behind the scenes, but what I do know is that train service has been cut, no increased despite the population growth in my area. Trying to get on a 2 train in the mornings and oftentimes evenings is becoming very challenging.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 01-10-2012 at 10:14 AM..

Old 01-11-2012, 06:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Yikes what a bunch of naysayers! So when they don't invest and develop, we complain and shout racism (of course), and when they do, we say "more asthma, trains will be horrible, they will not interact with the community, no park space". Are you people seriously crazy?
No we are not. The time for properly PLANNING a community is BEFORE it is built, not AFTER. The day is past when a deleloper should be given carte blanche to build communities without regard for parks, for transportation, for parking.

There is only ONE time to get it right.

And when has a developer NOT building something ever been called RACISM...usually the opposite pertains.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:09 AM

Kefir...if you read the article, or my comment, you would note this was 4 YEARS in the making and planned by and for the community firstly, in partnership with the city and finally the selected developer. Furthermore, the transportation is already there, and they may be receiving additional service via MetroNorth. Parking garages will be part of this development, and the area alreayd has growing parkland at Starlight Park and Concrete Plant park, besides the additional plaza/open space tied to the specific development.

I agree there is only one time to get it right...and based on the years working towards this development, I think it will be.

As far as the 'racism' claim, it is not towards a specific developer, but the lack of investment in certain communities has often been called racist, most recently the red-lining in the 60s and 70s by banks and other credit agencies. When communities deteriorate, and there is a lack of investment, shouts of "racism" occur...and now when there is development, shouts of "racism" still occur. You can't win!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City