Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:42 PM

24 posts, read 88,403 times

Advertisements

I've gone up to Arthur Ave a few times since moving back to NYC. I know there are a lot of problems with crime and such but I had expected to see more revitalization, especially considering other areas that have improved. Why isn't the area around Arthur Ave more desirable? You have the shopping district, parks, the Botanical Gardens, Fordham...the commute's not that bad. The housing stock is decent enough. In other words, I've seen neighborhoods with a lot less to work with get a lot better. Is Belmont THAT dangerous? I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts but I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 08:00 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
The area right around Arthur Ave and 187th St and up to Fordham is OK but it's not convenient to a subway stop and you have to go through worse neighborhoods to get there from the subway.South of it is pretty bad and West of it is pretty bad and that's where the subway stops are.

I don't live there but I go there A LOT to shop in the stores and eat out.It's only about a 15 minute walk from my neighborhood on the other side of The Botanical Garden and Zoo.I have walked home from there pretty late in the evening many times with no problems.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:09 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
I really like 187th/Arthur Avenue. We walk down there quite a bit in the summer as well (I live in Bedford Park). However Fordham has concentrated their off campus housing in that area - and much of what they've built are real eyesores. Like Bluedog said, the other drawback about living there is the lack of subway access. Both Pelham Parkway and Bedford Park also have access to the NYBG, and have public transportation close by. I'd think that many would choose one of these neighborhoods instead when considering moving to the area.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:25 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Little Italy, at least what's left of it, is such a small little area sandwiched between bad neighborhoods that prevent it from really flourishing. Little by little, little Italy is shrinking being consumed by the surrounding bad neighborhoods like a cancer attacking healthy cells, the surrounding bad neighborhoods are slowing eating away at little Italy. Unfortunately Little Italy has become less significant every year that passes. It will come to the point that Little Italy will get swallowed up by the bad neighborhoods. Doesn't look good.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I really like 187th/Arthur Avenue. We walk down there quite a bit in the summer as well (I live in Bedford Park). However Fordham has concentrated their off campus housing in that area - and much of what they've built are real eyesores. Like Bluedog said, the other drawback about living there is the lack of subway access. Both Pelham Parkway and Bedford Park also have access to the NYBG, and have public transportation close by. I'd think that many would choose one of these neighborhoods instead when considering moving to the area.
See and I would have thought Fordham would be an asset. I was trying to figure out where students would live off campus. You and bluedog are right about subway access. Looking at the map it appears terrible. Too bad. I might have considered rolling the dice and getting a place there but I don't want to make my commute more miserable than it already is.

I still really like the Bronx. Perhaps Pelham Parkway wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm not really familiar with Bedford Park. I used to have family in Norwood but that's looking sort of sketchy these days. Woodlawn is another spot I really like.

I don't think Little Italy will ever disappear entirely. There is too much money to be made. It seems to have stayed in the same shrunken state for some time now, kind of like Mulberry St. but not as annoying.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:34 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Little Italy/Arthur Ave is the best Hispanic neighborhood for Italian restaurants owned by Albanians in all of NYC!

The neighborhood is desirable, however train access is not good, and all the other reasons other posters stated.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serum86 View Post
See and I would have thought Fordham would be an asset. I was trying to figure out where students would live off campus. .
A lot of Fordham students do seem to live in Belmont but I think a lot more live in Pelham Parkway and Bedford Park.I know there are a lot of Fordham students and faculty in my neighborhood.

The FU students who do live there just go back and forth to the campus ,which is directly to the North,so they don't have to deal with an inconvenient trek to the subway on a daily basis.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:19 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
I really think that most off-campus Fordham students live in Belmont rather than other areas- undergraduate at least. I don't think it's bad that the students are there, but I hate the housing that Fordham has constructed in the neighborhood.

We rent out an apartment in our house in Bedford Park, and we get way more applicants from Lehman College, even though we're closer to Fordham via the prep entrance.

Woodlawn is also a great neighborhood, but lacks subway access as well unfortunately.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Little Italy/Arthur Ave is the best Hispanic neighborhood for Italian restaurants owned by Albanians in all of NYC!
That is very true.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:42 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
I'm not so picky about who nowadays make the food there if I get a good lasagna and a smile I'm satisfied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City