Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 03:10 PM

430 posts, read 1,193,366 times

Advertisements

You guys know what are the cheapest public housing projects out of The Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn? Where are they located, and how much is the rent? How much would my salary have to be, for me to be able to "survive" or "live well" in the public housing projects? Specifics on location and the overall quality or standard of living inside the apartment would be nice. Also, information about the neighborhood would be really nice too. The more information the better!
Also i'm planning to be an Automotive Technition once I leave High School.
I had took a visit in New York from late December thru new years. I wanna go back. Newport News Virginia seems so dead now.
Thanks for the future feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 03:15 PM

202 posts, read 686,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
You guys know what are the cheapest public housing projects out of The Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn? Where are they located, and how much is the rent? How much would my salary have to be, for me to be able to "survive" or "live well" in the public housing projects? Specifics on location and the overall quality or standard of living inside the apartment would be nice. Also, information about the neighborhood would be really nice too. The more information the better!
Also i'm planning to be an Automotive Technition once I leave High School.
I had took a visit in New York from late December thru new years. I wanna go back. Newport News Virginia seems so dead now.
Thanks for the future feedback!
You have to apply for a public housing apartment with the NYCHA. They will walk you through the process.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatitdo? View Post
You have to apply for a public housing apartment with the NYCHA. They will walk you through the process.
Any rough estimates fo rent? Please!!!

Old 02-15-2012, 04:08 PM

29 posts, read 125,943 times
No one really "lives well" in the projects--unless you are a drug dealer. There are strict income limits so its not as if you can make $75K a month, have cheap rent, and go out every night. Also, priority is given to families.

I would get on craigslist and try to find a room to rent. You'll have roommates, but prices will be more reasonable since you'll all be sharing an apartment. Prices in Brooklyn and Queens vary widely based upon the neighborhood but you could probably get a decent bedroom for $900 - $1100 a month in a safe area. Of course, the more the better. It's possible to get something cheaper, but the room may be smaller or the apartment not so nice.

Anyway, if you are set on the projects you'll find everything you need here:

New York City Housing Authority

Old 02-15-2012, 04:08 PM

400 posts, read 984,312 times
You dont just go to the landlord and agree on rent. Its all bureaucratically/government controlled.

Public Housing Income Limits - New York City Housing Authority

A family of 1 has to make under 46,000. But they never just let a "family of 1" in. Thats usually for seniors only complexes. Make some babys with a woman/man and theyll move you in hastily.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:17 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,557,343 times
I hope you don't assume that once you move up here and apply for public housing, that somehow you'll get an apartment the next week. That's not the way it works. The wait is in the years and there's over 100k NYC residents who are waiting for public housing. You'll be behind everyone else.

Anyways, you cannot chose the project. You can only choose 2 boroughs you desire to live in. After that, assuming you pass the background investigation/interview, it's whatever project apartment is vacant. As for rent, it's 30% of whatever your yearly income is(or will be in your case).

Old 02-15-2012, 05:39 PM

So I can do 1 of 2 things. Apply for public housing and wait a couple of years, or get some roomies. I'll get the roomies on craigslist! But I have one more question. Will I still have to apply to the NYC Public Housing Orginization even when I find a room on craigslist?

Old 02-15-2012, 06:09 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,587,576 times
Quote:
So I can do 1 of 2 things. Apply for public housing and wait a couple of years, or get some roomies. I'll get the roomies on craigslist! But I have one more question. Will I still have to apply to the NYC Public Housing Orginization even when I find a room on craigslist?

Will you be lining up a job before coming to NYC? What is bringing you here?

Old 02-15-2012, 06:58 PM

9,249 posts, read 24,101,974 times
Quote:
No,you can only do one thing because you are not going to get any public housing in NYC even if you wait until hell freezes over.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,585,192 times
I assume priority is given to people who actually live in NYC, or at least have some connection, not someone moving from elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City