Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 08:18 PM

3 posts, read 5,699 times

Advertisements

My wife is looking at taking a job in Long Island (near Cold Spring Harbor). We currently live in NJ and I commute to Elizabeth, NJ. I would try to find a new job in NY eventually but in the meantime I would have to commute to Elizabeth.

Any suggestions on where to live where both of us could commute to work in less than 90 minutes with traffic?

If it helps for traffic, I work different 12 hour shifts, start times are 7 a, 9 a, 12 p, 5 p, 7 p. My wife would be working more standard 9 a to 5 p.

We are in our early 30s, no kids yet, looking at apartments 2 BR with washer/dryer in unit under $3000/month. Right now, we get that in NJ for about $1800/month.

Appreciate any thoughts or input! We don't know much about Long Island/NYC area.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,819,782 times
Imo, the commute is just tooooooo brutal! I don't think I could emphasize enough.

Your work times would run you smack into rush hour no matter whether LI to NJ, or NJ to LI.

LI highways at rush hour are an absolute *crawl* and then you've got either the bridges or tunnel to Manhattan AND the bridge or tunnels to NJ. DOING THIS DURING RUSH HOUR IS SIMPLY INSANE!

Probably a two hour commute, and add 30 minutes just to be sure you'd always be on time, given the vageries of traffic. Even then, an accident in one of the tunnels would do you in; and, you'd likely not make it during a snow storm.

I suggest, one of you take a cheap studio or share near one of your jobs, and live separately during the work week, until you find a job on LI or NYC.

Remember, separation makes the heart grow fonder!

If not the above suggestion, then probably some place very near either the Triborough Bride or the George Washington Bridge. Astoria, Queens or Teaneck, NJ. Since you have the rolling shifts (hospital worker/tech/doctor?) probably Teaneck.

For the wife, once thru Manhattan she w/b driving opposite rush hour traffic; and you w/h an easier time making it to Elizabeth given your scheduling!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:36 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,164,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Imo, the commute is just tooooooo brutal! I don't think I could emphasize enough.

Your work times would run you smack into rush hour no matter whether LI to NJ, or NJ to LI.

LI highways at rush hour are an absolute *crawl* and then you've got either the bridges or tunnel to Manhattan AND the bridge or tunnels to NJ. DOING THIS DURING RUSH HOUR IS SIMPLY INSANE!

Probably a two hour commute, and add 30 minutes just to be sure you'd always be on time, given the vageries of traffic. Even then, an accident in one of the tunnels would do you in; and, you'd likely not make it during a snow storm.

I suggest, one of you take a cheap studio or share near one of your jobs, and live separately during the work week, until you find a job on LI or NYC.

Remember, separation makes the heart grow fonder!

If not the above suggestion, then probably some place very near either the Triborough Bride or the George Washington Bridge. Astoria, Queens or Teaneck, NJ. Since you have the rolling shifts (hospital worker/tech/doctor?) probably Teaneck.

For the wife, once thru Manhattan she w/b driving opposite rush hour traffic; and you w/h an easier time making it to Elizabeth given your scheduling!
I completely agree! Especially Cold Spring Harbor! I live in Queens on the Nassau border and it takes ME 45 minutes to get to Cold Spring Harbor! Now add to that the commute to and from NJ. Your wife will be burned out in no time.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:21 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,256,159 times
Can either of you arrange transportation from the train stations in Cold Spring or Edison to work? Or are they walking distance? If so you have options. Secaucus, Forest Hills, its 1 hour to Cold Spring from Penn on LIRR, 30 to Edison. There is no way to do this unless at least one of you can go without a car.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,910,819 times
Move to Manhattan. It's basically middle ground.
not sure 3k will get you a 2br with washer/dryer in the unit though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City