Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:46 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,387,879 times

Advertisements

This is under the Clocktower building, and looks pretty awesome. Have not been here yet, but the menu looks great and the pics of the place are cool:

The Clock Cafe and Martini Bar

I will go at some point this weekend and report back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 10:03 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,066,593 times
I too will also be there will report back..

Old 03-06-2012, 11:29 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,444,328 times
Not far from Bruckner Bar and Grill, and just in time for spring, I'll be sure to check it out..

Old 03-06-2012, 11:49 AM

I am not sure if they have outdoor seating, but it would be great if they did. It is about 1 or 2 blocks from Bruckner Bar & Grill on Bruckner Blvd. I think I may cruise on over Saturday afternoon..maybe some other posters would like to join me if they are in the area.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:23 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,910,501 times
Upscale anything in the South Bronx?
with almost half of the population there living in poverty, who are they catering to?

What's next a louis vuitton store in Brownsville?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 PM

Moderator cut: Discussing moderation

Southern Bronx is not pretentious..it is a geographic term which references the specific area of the Southern Bronx, whereas the "South Bronx" term has come to reference anything south of Fordham Rd...there is nothing "South" about it. I would say SoBro is a pretentious term however, but I don't use it. A more appropriate term would be "SoBroke"!

Likeminas...there is lots of poverty but also a growing middle class population, so if you ask who they are catering to, it's the same group who bought the $500K lofts at Bronx Bricks, the same people buying into the Via Verde development, the same people buying the $400K single family brownstones, and the same people who are paying $2,000 to rent at the Clocktower building, the same people who will be shopping at the new Fresca Gourmet Market, and the same people who are continuing to move to the community....middle class residents who are grossly underserved and require better amenities. By the way, having a martini bar is a far cry from spending $800 on a Louis Vuitton purse....so take a breath and relax. It's ok to serve ALL of the population, and not just the destitute, right?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-06-2012 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: Discussing moderation on the forum

Old 03-06-2012, 12:34 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,910,501 times
The South Bronx, which I believe is district 16 is one of the poorest in the nation. And I believe you when you say it's changing, but apparently at a very low pace. There are no hip areas in the Bronx, let alone in the South Bronx. So something somewhat pretentious like a "Martini Bar" in the ghetto won't fly.

No to mention that the rate of sucess of restaurants/bars regardless of location in NYC is no more than 25%.

might get better biz if they opened a fast-food joint instead.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:45 PM

Well you are right and wrong. We already know "nice" places in the Southern Bronx are doing quite well....which is how they are able to sell $500K Lofts on 140th and Morris Ave, and how they are selling briskly at the Via Verde despite the unfavorable economy, and how they continue to build aggressively new middle class rentals and condos which fill in months. The market is there, the middle class is moving in, and the amenities, like this one, are following. These types of establishments are already doing well..so not sure why you would say otherwise..and more are on the way. Where you pulled the 25% success rate, or what you are defining as "success" (open 1 year? 5 years? 20 years?) is beyond me...please site your source.

You are right that this congressional district is the poorest, however, this is why I say "Southern Bronx", because it is the very geographic Southern Bronx where the changes are occuring, and not the rest of the district proper. So while the district is quite poor, these particular areas of Mott Haven, Melrose, Concourse are the communities of the geographic Southern Bronx which are becoming middle class enclaves, with new parks, infrastructure, new housing, new transportation, and new amenities to meet their needs.

And the Southern Bronx is only accelerating these middle class developments..so the residents need more amenities...and this will be a great addition!

Old 03-06-2012, 02:23 PM

109 posts, read 205,890 times
Wow they really did an amazing job with the ambiance. Love the rustic feel with exposed brick. I went to a trade show at the Jacob Javitis a few weeks ago and a booth was selling those light bulbs on a string... I thought they were nuts but here they look great.

Now to see if their food measures up! That is how you keep them coming!

And for the record of the thread, I say I am from the South Bronx. "Tomato, To-mah-to"

Old 03-06-2012, 02:26 PM

Yeah I like the lightbulbs too...kinda funky but cool. From what I heard the place is good..so we shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City