Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 01:43 PM

168 posts, read 349,558 times

Advertisements

I have not, however, lived in a haunted apartment yet... although it would be cool to get $1,000 a month knocked off the rent for my mental anguish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 01:49 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTrish View Post
Actually, I'm not. I don't even have a lease... rent month-to-month from a private landlord who hasn't raised my rent in 6 years!

But I used to be a RS tenant, for many years. And I know what RS landlords do to "improve" units before re-renting. As little as possible. Most just paint and slap a coat of sealant over the floors to make them look shiny and new. And they get a nice bump in the rent for it.
Can you blame the LL for wanting to increase the rent as close as possible to the market level? I mean, the LL does pay MARKET expenses, only fair he would do everything in his power to raise the rent as close as possible to market levels. Wouldn't you say? Landlording is a BUSINESS, not a charity.

Why make it sound like a bad thing?

Old 03-30-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we should set her up with kefir
They'd make a great couple!

Old 03-30-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Can you blame the LL for wanting to increase the rent as close as possible to the market level? I mean, the LL does pay MARKET expenses, only fair he would do everything in his power to raise the rent as close as possible to market levels. Wouldn't you say? Landlording is a BUSINESS, not a charity.

Why make it sound like a bad thing?
Never judged it. Just said it was. RS landlords like people to leave because it gives them a chance to legally raise the rent in any number of ways. I think that's a pretty accepted fact. Of course they do it cheaply and exaggerate both the scope and expense... because they can. It's simple human nature. Do whatever you can get away with, within the law.

But getting back to the original subject of the thread, those who said "lease assignment" doesn't exist, or that no one can take over your lease/it always becomes a brand-new lease etc. were mistaken. It's basic landlord-tenant stuff in this city. Visit the DHCR website and read the laws. You might be surprised.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTrish View Post
Never judged it. Just said it was. RS landlords like people to leave because it gives them a chance to legally raise the rent in any number of ways. I think that's a pretty accepted fact. Of course they do it cheaply and exaggerate both the scope and expense... because they can. It's simple human nature. Do whatever you can get away with, within the law.
But again, you make it sound like it is unreasonable for the LL to want the rent to increase as close as possible to market levels despite knowing he has no choice but to pay market expenses.

You say these buzz words like exaggerate, cheap, etc. like to vilify the LL or to paint him in a bad picture. It's not like the LL is price gouging, which by the way doesn't exist in apartment rentals, it's a myth created by pro-rent stabilization advocacy groups.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
But again, you make it sound like it is unreasonable for the LL to want the rent to increase as close as possible to market levels despite knowing he has no choice but to pay market expenses.

You say these buzz words like exaggerate, cheap, etc. like to vilify the LL or to paint him in a bad picture. It's not like the LL is price gouging, which by the way doesn't exist in apartment rentals, it's a myth created by pro-rent stabilization advocacy groups.
Please don't get all ranty-political. Landlords do the same thing people do when they, say, hand in their expenses at work. Grab a couple of blank taxi receipts from a driver to pad transportation expenses, dinner with friends becomes dinner with "clients," the flowers for your wife are now for your secretary's birthday... you do what you can get away with. It's the American way! I'm not saying it's good or bad. I'm just saying it is.

And please don't tell me landlords don't exaggerate or do things as cheaply as possible. If they didn't, they'd be idiots. Broke idiots.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:41 PM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Geez, I'm confused here. I had no IDEA that rent stabilized tenants could "asssign" leases. In fact I think they CANNOT.

They can, of course, sublet as per Miss Trish's standards. BUT to assume lessee rights under the law I think there are requirements of kinship, cohabitation, etc.
OP capp is a bit vague when he talks about "working with a tenant"

To me it sounds like a person heard of a rent stabilized vacancy and would like the apartment. Obviously this is a situation, under the law, of a stranger coming to rent a stabilized apartment.
It is obvious that the vacancy rent increase can be charged or not...that is the landord's prerogative.

Quote:
we should set her up with kefir
Nah, I'm a co-op and only GUYS need apply!

Old 04-03-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Nah, I'm a co-op and only GUYS need apply!
So KK, you're gay?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:16 PM

26 posts, read 51,652 times
there are online sites for each state and you can read up more on the law but once you send in the current rent in your name and its accepted that gives you verification that the landlord sees you as a tenant as your money was accepted to occupy that space.
Most times the money grubbing bastards only give one or two year leases. as well as try to get any and every extra pittance they can just because you may be partial to living indoors as opposed to out.
The landlord you have may be rare and actually a human with a heart and be a decent person. If this is the case treat him/her well and take very good care in the apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: