Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 04:49 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times

Advertisements

Port authority has a class going on now. It's the 114 Academy. I think the port authority has budget issues. When I was going through the process. I heard 250 candidates will be hired. Again i heard this at the technical center. Than I heard 125 candidates will be hired. As of June, the port authority started the class with a 100 candidates. The academy only has about two months left until graduation. The next Academy is going to start in February known as 115.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-13-2016 at 05:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 05:54 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
I think it's a bit ludicrous to blame the PAPD for failure to prevent the two terrorist attacks. You do understand that WTC got threats everyday, most from nuts, but often enough some were taken seriously? They'd have the bomb dogs out and going through the sublevels.

In the late 80s, in response to intelligence about threats to the WTC from ME terrorists, the PA hired security consultants. One of the recommendations was to close the public parking garages. PA policymakers refused, wanting the building to be accessible and wanting the parking lot revenue. We know how that turned out.

The police were always on alert. There were strict security measures put in place after 2/26/93. You do realize, don't you, that we couldn't get a pizza delivered to our office at the WTC. You had to meet them inthe lobby to get your food. To get contractors in to do work was a whole involved process of getting IDs, checking materials and equipment through security at the loading docks, etc. The terrorists used planes because that was the only way they could hit it.

I think blaming the cops for the terrorist attacks is a stretch and an odd thing to say.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think it's a bit ludicrous to blame the PAPD for failure to prevent the two terrorist attacks. You do understand that WTC got threats everyday, most from nuts, but often enough some were taken seriously? They'd have the bomb dogs out and going through the sublevels.

In the late 80s, in response to intelligence about threats to the WTC from ME terrorists, the PA hired security consultants. One of the recommendations was to close the public parking garages. PA policymakers refused, wanting the building to be accessible and wanting the parking lot revenue. We know how that turned out.

The police were always on alert. There were strict security measures put in place after 2/26/93. You do realize, don't you, that we couldn't get a pizza delivered to our office at the WTC. You had to meet them inthe lobby to get your food. To get contractors in to do work was a whole involved process of getting IDs, checking materials and equipment through security at the loading docks, etc. The terrorists used planes because that was the only way they could hit it.

I think blaming the cops for the terrorist attacks is a stretch and an odd thing to say.
I didn't blame the port authority for what happened. Both attacks were totally different in tactically. But it still happened on their watch. This is according to the nypd. Because of both attacks. The nypd wanted the city to remove the port authority from wtc jurisdiction and replace it with nypd . lol of course I knew about port authority security changes that were implemented after trade center attacks part 1. Also the nature of the attack was to topple the buildings so that the structures can fall on Wall Street and other symbols of American capitalism. The jihadist in sense failed because the 2nd attack the trade center did not topple but pancaked. Minimizing damage throughout the financial area which was mainly restricted to trade center and immediate area next to it. If the trade center toppled like dominoes. I can't imagine this.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-13-2016 at 06:50 AM..

Old 10-14-2016, 12:12 AM

Oh yeah. PAPD is now allowing nypd officers to be applicants and even get hired. The kicker is nypd can not transfer over like before. If your a top pay nypd officer and become a PAPD officer, your pay will drop back to 39k a year. If your an nypd detective, and you become hired as a PAPD officer, you will have to start out as a rookie cop all over again. When I was going in for processing. Lots of nypd guys where there. Some nypd guys even got hired to be PAPD officers. Port authority had a change of heart this time around. The class 113 nypd cops got disqualified upon entering the port authority technical center.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:32 PM

432 posts, read 551,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Oh yeah. PAPD is now allowing nypd officers to be applicants and even get hired. The kicker is nypd can not transfer over like before. If your a top pay nypd officer and become a PAPD officer, your pay will drop back to 39k a year. If your an nypd detective, and you become hired as a PAPD officer, you will have to start out as a rookie cop all over again. When I was going in for processing. Lots of nypd guys where there. Some nypd guys even got hired to be PAPD officers. Port authority had a change of heart this time around. The class 113 nypd cops got disqualified upon entering the port authority technical center.
At one time the NYPD was in crisis mode for candidates as people resigned constantly and rolled over to the FDNY, PAPD, MTAPD and Nassau/Suffolk. The PAPD and NYPD allegedly had a "handshake deal " with the city where the NYPD didn't release personnel records and the PAPD therefore refused to hire the NYPD cops. Fast forward 10 years and the NYPD has a glut of candidates (the waiting list has been 3-4 years recently) and there is no need for this handshake deal to continue, so the PAPD now treats applicants from NYPD like any other applicants they receive. From the NYPD point of view, every veteran cop that resigns can be replaced by a rookie making $40K.

Around that same time, circa 2006, the FDNY also enacted a policy where former NYPD cops started at bottom salary regardless of how long they were cops for. This effectively ended the rollovers to the FD with a few exceptions (mostly those who has very little time invested in NYPD and didn't mind starting over)

Old 10-14-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
At one time the NYPD was in crisis mode for candidates as people resigned constantly and rolled over to the FDNY, PAPD, MTAPD and Nassau/Suffolk. The PAPD and NYPD allegedly had a "handshake deal " with the city where the NYPD didn't release personnel records and the PAPD therefore refused to hire the NYPD cops. Fast forward 10 years and the NYPD has a glut of candidates (the waiting list has been 3-4 years recently) and there is no need for this handshake deal to continue, so the PAPD now treats applicants from NYPD like any other applicants they receive. From the NYPD point of view, every veteran cop that resigns can be replaced by a rookie making $40K.

Around that same time, circa 2006, the FDNY also enacted a policy where former NYPD cops started at bottom salary regardless of how long they were cops for. This effectively ended the rollovers to the FD with a few exceptions (mostly those who has very little time invested in NYPD and didn't mind starting over)
Very true. When I was at the academy going through processing. I met NYPD candidates who were in the process of being PAPD. Class 113, 112 and 111 did not hire from NYPD. From what I remember. Mtapd also did not hire from nypd. We will see since they have an upcoming exam this upcoming winter. There are lots of law enforcement jobs opening up in the NYC area, but they are all competitive to get into. Next year NYPD will have two classes, PAPD will have 115 and 116 clasess, MTAPD is having a class, Court officer is having a class next year. This is going to be good.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-15-2016 at 12:04 AM..

Old 10-15-2016, 12:46 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,092 times
Congrats on training to become a cop.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:53 PM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
I didn't blame the port authority for what happened. Both attacks were totally different in tactically. But it still happened on their watch. This is according to the nypd. Because of both attacks. The nypd wanted the city to remove the port authority from wtc jurisdiction and replace it with nypd . lol of course I knew about port authority security changes that were implemented after trade center attacks part 1. Also the nature of the attack was to topple the buildings so that the structures can fall on Wall Street and other symbols of American capitalism. The jihadist in sense failed because the 2nd attack the trade center did not topple but pancaked. Minimizing damage throughout the financial area which was mainly restricted to trade center and immediate area next to it. If the trade center toppled like dominoes. I can't imagine this.
Yeah, I was in the north tower. Trust me, it felt as if it was going over on impact. You can't see how it shudders on the firefighter video, but people were knocked to the floor. And in the stairs, you could tell the building was leaning.

Anyway, best wishes to you guys going for it.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:07 PM

432 posts, read 551,546 times
Quote:
Very true. When I was at the academy going through processing. I met NYPD candidates who were in the process of being PAPD. Class 113, 112 and 111 did not hire from NYPD. From what I remember. Mtapd also did not hire from nypd. We will see since they have an upcoming exam this upcoming winter. There are lots of law enforcement jobs opening up in the NYC area, but they are all competitive to get into. Next year NYPD will have two classes, PAPD will have 115 and 116 clasess, MTAPD is having a class, Court officer is having a class next year. This is going to be good.
NYPD will have four small classes per year moving forward. Since the College Point Academy opened they now have the ability to have smaller, overlapping Academy classes per year. Either way, good luck with whatever agency you end up with.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:25 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,512,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
At one time the NYPD was in crisis mode for candidates as people resigned constantly and rolled over to the FDNY, PAPD, MTAPD and Nassau/Suffolk. The PAPD and NYPD allegedly had a "handshake deal " with the city where the NYPD didn't release personnel records and the PAPD therefore refused to hire the NYPD cops
I don't know about the second part - PAPD not refusing to hire NYPD, but the first part about NYPD not releasing records is/was definitely true. Not just to PAPD, though, they wouldn't release to FBI/ATF/DEA/USSS/any other possible agency that officers might want to get hired with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City