Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 03:10 PM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times

Advertisements

I think natives of any large city tend not to visit landmarks being that they don't think about doing so the way tourists do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 03:15 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
I only visited landmarks for educational and academic purposes.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:16 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Why would someone live in New York City and NOT go see the Cherry Blossoms in The Brooklyn Botanic Gardens (I went Friday.) Or the Orchid Show at the NY Botannical Gardens last month? Or the umpteen museums up and down Fifth Avenue? These are world classs installations that make the City what it is.

I mean really, we pay a friggen FORTUNE to live here...why not enjoy what we are paying for?

The only thing on the list that is truly tedious is the Empire State Building...but I even dragged myself there a couple decades ago before every tourist on the planet was in line (but once was enough.) Besides, the beauty of the Empire State Building is looking AT it, rather than looking FROM it.
Hmmmm, lets see, because every tom, dick, and can't appreciate is there now, by the tourist BUSLOAD!

An experience that is supposed to be pleasant, serene, and contemplative, is now like an outdoor subway ride with flowers!!! No longer truly enjoyable for what it is meant to be. Just another stop on the mind numbing tourist track! Plus it is not as 'natural' as it once was.

The Promenade is another example, TOO many people just spoils things! Tourists and Transplants can be irritating with their "oh wow" attitudes.

Similar overcrowded experiences can be had at most tourist attractions. They are called TOURIST attractions for a purpose. Most natives of any sopnistication do NOT enjoy mixing with the Tourists. Besides any native not stuck at home or in their neighborhood outgrows any fascination with tourist attractions by the time they reach 17! There are FAR FAR more interesting and engaging, endeavors for a sophisticated NYer, than visiting the Empire State building.

Plus, as someone mentioned,many attractions are not worth the effort to travel to. This was especially so during the bad old days, crime made many things not worth the risk.

Also, like the same poster said, in the old days, class trips took care of most visits by the time you finish junior high school.

Even on vacation, to other places, most of the NYers I know, spend little time visiting tourist destinations. For example, many have been to Paris and London for example, but have never visited the Effiel (sp?) Tower nor Big Ben, etc. They go to these places for the happenings! Again, its about 'the people'!

I just love it when you talk to some and they just got back from someplace, and they can tell you all about all the tourists attractions and landmarks, but can tell you NOTHING about what life is really like there. How people live. What they do. What their thoughts are. Opinions. Politics. Nada!

They have learned little of substance and value, BUT they had a great 'experience'!

When I go away, I NEVER go on nor take *Tours*. Tours can teach a litle history, but NOTHING about the people.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:21 PM

359 posts, read 329,333 times
yeah man why would anyone wanna see a dumb building anyway

Old 04-18-2012, 04:28 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
What makes this city such a wonderful and interesting place to live is not necessarily the "touristy" landmarks. I have been to and done some amazing things here that a tourist would never, ever, know about. It's not "oh wow, I I went to the Empire State Building. It was amazing" It's "oh wow, I went to a rooftop BBQ with a view of the Empire State Building and the host set up a slip-n-side on the roof. It was amazing"
Totally agree. Except the slipNslide on the rooftop sounds a bit Transplanty!

Natives are more fascinated with things like, I saw so and so at the Blue Note; or that incredible happening at the Garden or Radio City.

Last night I went to this party in SOHO or this club downtown or this dinner party uptown, and so and so was there with 'interesting couple' and it was fascinating. This and that happpened, and this and that was said, and this and that is going to happen.

New York City is about THE PEOPLE and the things they do and are about, in life! Which is why Transplants are so oftened disdained, too often they aren't about much more than, "owh wow!". Many are like 'permanent tourist'!! As such, aren't all that interesting.

Interesting people come to NYC to accomplish things (often which can only be achieved in NYC). This was especially so in the 60s to 90s. Today, too many come JUST to experience NYC, cause back home is boring and bland!

Old 04-18-2012, 04:33 PM

297 posts, read 740,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

Even on vacation, to other places, most of the NYers I know, spend little time visiting tourist destinations. For example, many have been to Paris and London for example, but have never visited the Effiel (sp?) Tower nor Big Ben, etc. They go to these places for the happenings! Again, its about 'the people'!
I'm guilty of this as well. I love to travel, but never see the appeal in seeing the things a place is known for. Oddly enough, where I live now the people I've met (they all are natives of where I live now) have been to and enjoy the places the city I live in has to offer...yet I haven't seen the appeal to see them.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:31 PM

19,033 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Lived here my whole live, Never been to the Statue of Liberty. I walked into the Twin Towers once, but the line was huge. After 9/11, I was inspired to do the Empire State Building just in case.

Now the museums are a different story, they actually provide learning and I love them. I've been to most of them more than once. Never been to THE library, but we have libraries all over the city and I pretty much grew up in them.

Since we plan on moving out of the entire area around the time my daughter is 10-11, we'll probably try to do everything with her before we go, so I guess I'll get at least one more round in the next 10 years.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:52 PM

106 posts, read 352,945 times
Never had a reason or care to visit the landmarks when growing up here. When I was younger I visited the zoos, statue of liberty, twin towers, Tenement museum, and Ellis island on family/class trips. The only other times I've passed other landmarks as an adult was either because I was passing through the area for one reason or another, and not specifically to see the landmark. I've been to Brooklyn Botanical gardens multiple times with friends to see the cherry blossom festival, which is intentional. The NYC museums/galleries, I've visited multiple times to see exhibits but does that count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City