Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:23 AM

21 posts, read 84,204 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity (I'm looking at apartments in Manhattan), what should I expect to pay for an electric bill with ConEd in a 700 sq. ft apartment? I'm not expecting cheap, especially with our needs, so just any honest number will do.

- We prefer putting the temperature down to 70, and we don't usually use the heat until it dips below 65.
- We generally keep the computer running 24/7 because we both have jobs that require us to be on the computer at home.
- When one of us is on the computer, the other is usually on the TV playing video games (any other female gamers want to represent? :P), and if we're not on the computer, we'll watch TV through Hulu or Netflix on the 360. In other words, one console is usually on 16 hours a day and off while we're sleeping.
- We don't really use other electronics outside of that. Charging our phones, sure, and though I have a bad habit of leaving mine in the plug, I can start breaking that habit to save money.

What would you expect my utilities would be in such an apartment? If it makes a difference, the one I'm looking at in particular features central heating with high/vaulted ceilings. I'm not sure what's included in the rent, but let's say nothing's included for best estimation's sake.

EDIT: Heat and water are included, and it's a sunny apartment. My bad, should read better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 05:35 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
If heat and hot pwater are supplied then your statement, "We prefer putting the temperature down to 70, and we don't usually use the heat until it dips below 65," pertains only to Summer's air conditioning, right?
If so, trust that it will cost a great deal to cool 700 square feet to 70 degrees for the 5 months you would need it. Perhaps 75 or 80 degrees makes economic sense.

Do you want to include a high internet line, good TV channel choices (cable or FIOS), cost of phone services, Netfliix and Hulu bills in you monthly utility estimate?

Do you do a lot of electrical cooking: toasters, toaster ovens, microwaves, grilles? HEating apppliances are big draws, computers less so. Lots of lights late at night?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:38 AM

I don't usually like lights on much so not much to worry about there. However I absolutely cannot stand 75 and higher for temperature, so it has to be about 70. Besides, I'm not looking for ways to lower the bill, I just want to know how much my particular needs would cost on average. Not including Hulu and netflix (I'm counting those separately), not counting Internet (also separate), not counting phone (don't use landlines and the cells are separate) and not counting cable tv (I don't use it).

As for electrical appliances, maybe the occasional microwave, otherwise I'm all ovens. Not sure if this place has gas or electric ovens though.

For my estimations, I've been putting down $300 when figuring out the utility bill (not including the hulu and netflix and phone etc). Am I about right with that? I'm looking for worst case scenario here.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:47 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,491 times
$300/month or year? My 800 sq ft co-op is about $60/month in the winter and $120/month in the summer. I was out most of the day though at work and would only run things like the A/C, TV, computers, etc, when I was home after work or on the weekends.

Interestingly, my new place which is 2x the size of my co-op seems to be running me about the same for electric and I have central heat/AC...I'm still scratching my head about how it's working out to be the same given it's 2X the size AND it has a HAVC system (which I assume is all electric...unless everything is REALLY energy efficient...)

Old 04-18-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
$300/month or year? My 800 sq ft co-op is about $60/month in the winter and $120/month in the summer. I was out most of the day though at work and would only run things like the A/C, TV, computers, etc, when I was home after work or on the weekends.

Interestingly, my new place which is 2x the size of my co-op seems to be running me about the same for electric and I have central heat/AC...I'm still scratching my head about how it's working out to be the same given it's 2X the size AND it has a HAVC system (which I assume is all electric...unless everything is REALLY energy efficient...)
A month. Then again, my only experience with electric bills was a house in Queens, so I'm basing it off that and expecting the actual monthly bill to be a little less painful.

Based on your numbers, I expect it'd be a bit higher then since we're always home for work and use our electronics through most of our waking hours. Even if it's double what you pay, then I think I'm doing a good enough estimation.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post

I love these utility threads and posts, "what? My bill is only $60!"

Then the poster neglects to mention, which you commendably did, that they are NEVER home, and live a wholly meager less than middle class lifestyle (usage pattern)!

Btw, the likely reason your bill is the same is that the major factor is NOT apartment/home size, but LIFESTYLE.

Bigger apt, but I imagine that you still are never home! I also imagine that the new apt did not incent any additional electrical appliances, nor your usage pattern.

Why is it so many appear to apply their lifestyles toward everyone and seemed shocked other's are in such sharp contrast.

Imo, a $60 bill is impossibly low, to the point of someone exaggerating. Then I come to realize that working a 9 to 5 (plus) saves a LOT of home energy use. That many such low billers at most have some little laptop and likely no or a small TV. While I, in comparison have a 50 or 55 inch (can never remember) top of the line Plasma, plus all the standard assortment of connected boxes, dvr, blue ray, etc. Two server type PCs plus monitors, and MANY hardrives, a top of the line router with everything imaginable connected, sound system, barring one PC, all the above is on and working 24/7; in some cases only 16 hours. In addition, I've got more juice sucking stuff which gets occaisional, but additional use.

I don't keep track and we have an 'average pay' plan, which smooths out the bill over 12 months, but I doubt the average bill has been less than $200 per cycle, including a/c for roughly 4 months of the year to keep all the electronics and myself cool. Consumption during those months likely runs $300.

So, $60 makes me wonder if some of you are alive?!

Old 04-19-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
While I, in comparison have a 50 or 55 inch (can never remember) top of the line Plasma, plus all the standard assortment of connected boxes, dvr, blue ray, etc. Two server type PCs plus monitors, and MANY hardrives, a top of the line router with everything imaginable connected, sound system, barring one PC, all the above is on and working 24/7; in some cases only 16 hours. In addition, I've got more juice sucking stuff which gets occaisional, but additional use.

I don't keep track and we have an 'average pay' plan, which smooths out the bill over 12 months, but I doubt the average bill has been less than $200 per cycle, including a/c for roughly 4 months of the year to keep all the electronics and myself cool. Consumption during those months likely runs $300.
That's definitely a lot closer to my situation. 46-inch LCD, one top of the line PC and router on 24/7, plus either a 360 or PS3 on with the TV 16 hours a day... so my estimate is probably more or less on par then.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:59 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
It makes a big difference which floor you're on (heat rises), quality of insulation/windows, which way any windows face, etc.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:58 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiespencer View Post
I don't usually like lights on much so not much to worry about there. However I absolutely cannot stand 75 and higher for temperature, so it has to be about 70. Besides, I'm not looking for ways to lower the bill, I just want to know how much my particular needs would cost on average. Not including Hulu and netflix (I'm counting those separately), not counting Internet (also separate), not counting phone (don't use landlines and the cells are separate) and not counting cable tv (I don't use it).

As for electrical appliances, maybe the occasional microwave, otherwise I'm all ovens. Not sure if this place has gas or electric ovens though.

For my estimations, I've been putting down $300 when figuring out the utility bill (not including the hulu and netflix and phone etc). Am I about right with that? I'm looking for worst case scenario here.

So when you say "utilities" you mean the cost of electricity. I will estimate $60-80 per month in months when you do not use air conditioning and $300/month to cool 700 square feet to a constant 70 degrees. Be warned though, this 70 degree requirement is TOUGH!

A lot depends on how much sunlight floods your apartment, whether you are under a roof, whether your neighbors keep their place cool, how often you are home during the heat of midday, and whether you can readily manage a window fan for evening ventilation when the temperature drops below 70, so you can turn the A/C off.

Come back in July and tell us what your June bill was.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:13 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
I love these utility threads and posts, "what? My bill is only $60!"

Then the poster neglects to mention, which you commendably did, that they are NEVER home, and live a wholly meager less than middle class lifestyle (usage pattern)!

Btw, the likely reason your bill is the same is that the major factor is NOT apartment/home size, but LIFESTYLE.

Bigger apt, but I imagine that you still are never home! I also imagine that the new apt did not incent any additional electrical appliances, nor your usage pattern.

Why is it so many appear to apply their lifestyles toward everyone and seemed shocked other's are in such sharp contrast.

Imo, a $60 bill is impossibly low, to the point of someone exaggerating. Then I come to realize that working a 9 to 5 (plus) saves a LOT of home energy use. That many such low billers at most have some little laptop and likely no or a small TV. While I, in comparison have a 50 or 55 inch (can never remember) top of the line Plasma, plus all the standard assortment of connected boxes, dvr, blue ray, etc. Two server type PCs plus monitors, and MANY hardrives, a top of the line router with everything imaginable connected, sound system, barring one PC, all the above is on and working 24/7; in some cases only 16 hours. In addition, I've got more juice sucking stuff which gets occaisional, but additional use.

So, $60 makes me wonder if some of you are alive?!
That $60 (it was actually $67 in the most recent bill for the larger place) probably means that I should be vetting the operating budgets of most of these city organizations that can are hemorrhaging money! I can probably figure out how to squeeze water from a stone if I wanted to LOL!

My larger place has a washer/dryer, full sized dish washer, a zoned HVAC system (I can turn on the ac/heat in one room and not another) and everything is energy efficient, including the TVs (there are 2) and even the light bulbs. It's a new building and was designed to be efficient. The smaller place has an 18 inch dish washer but no washer/dryer and two clunky older in-wall A/Cs.

Yes, energy consumption is largely about lifestyle but also about conservation. When I am at home, I make a conscious choice to only use the amount of energy I need. The zoned HVAC system is a perfect example, if I'm in the bedroom, it's only on in the bedroom. Also, the sad truth is that people that work full time outside of the home, and have a reasonably active weekend, almost spend more waking hours at work, including commuting to work, then they do at home. I came to this realization the other day

While my $67 electric bill is on the low side, within the offering plan of my building, the estimated electricity consumption for my unit was given as $200/month. Given my lifestyle (and choices) it makes sense that I'm operating at about 1/3 of that estimate. I think most people that work full time outside of the house, who live in an apartment, would be between $60-100/month (and 2x that in the summer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City