Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 03:14 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
Wow, New Yorkers can be really defensive...
Defend,defend,defend ! We must always defend the homeland when it is under attack by foreigners !

Old 05-09-2012, 03:24 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
she really got people in their feelings today.

dane! smh..let it go already.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:27 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,082 times
To say or think the original poster is going to be happy elsewhere, simply because it is some place else, is naive at best. It's not the place, it's the person. Sure you can work on finding a more compatible place to live, but, that isn't going to solve everything. Not, gonna, happen.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:05 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,942 times
you all are rude fools. girlfriend said in her op that she aint here to offend. sounds like she has a decent job and friends in the city...which one of yr marginal asses are gonna quit yr paid employment coz you dont like the trips? yr judging and making all kinds conclusions abt her life, character whateva. she dont belong? honey yr sorry asses dont belong! i am nyc born and raised and even i admit this place bites a lot of the time. quit picking on someone for being honest. and gf op sweetie...u lemme know the next time yr in town. i am more than happy to sit my bronx raised ass on the balcony of yr friends 9000 place. for reals.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:08 PM

458 posts, read 616,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
The answer is, travel outside of Midtown.
Why do you think other boroughs would please him more? Queens may be different from Manhattan but it's still New York City. If the only places you've lived are in NYC then you might think Queens is very different from Manhattan but to the rest of the world it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
After reading this thread and re-reading the original posters' different posts, It seems to me this is an original poster problem with self... It's not the place, it's the person. You have to be happy with yourself first.
Or maybe the OP just doesn't like New York City.

Pssh, naaah... How is that possible? Obviously if someone doesn't like NYC they've got problems!

Quote:
No, original poster, you don't get it. You, are still part of the problem. Many of your posts are defensive, if not baiting. Now grandstanding has been added to your self importance. It isn't always what you say, but how you say it... You are angry, at seemingly everyone. The egos of your co-workers, the crowds, tourists, parks, posters on internet message forums ad many more... You seem preoccupied with how other people think and feel. your co-workers, internet message board posters, tourists, kids at a park, people who don't hate Manhattan or other parts of NYC, or the world. You may not like my response but I can promise you it's for your benefit. The problem is in large part, you... that's a you problem, not just a place problem.
WOW. And he's the one with the defensive, angry attitude?

Quote:
To say or think the original poster is going to be happy elsewhere, simply because it is some place else, is naive at best. It's not the place, it's the person.
He likes other places just fine. Just not NYC.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
No, original poster, you don't get it. You, are still part of the problem. Many of your posts are defensive, if not baiting. Now grandstanding has been added to your self importance. It isn't always what you say, but how you say it..... That means it's a much more productive option to fix yourself first...You are angry, at seemingly everyone. The egos of your co-workers, the crowds, tourists, parks, posters on internet message forums ad many more...You now say you don't have the energy to seek out other places and options. ...You seem preoccupied with how other people think and feel. your co-workers, internet message board posters, tourists, kids at a park, people who don't hate Manhattan or other parts of NYC, or the world...You may not like my response but I can promise you it's for your benefit. The problem is in large part, you...You can vent and go back to your routine. If it is a prolonged legit situation, then make a change. There is nothing less productive than complaint without change...You most certainly can live and work somewhere else in a different job. Get a plan going, type of job, network, where you want to live etc...and work towards that...No one cares either way if you like NYC or not. No place is for everyone, nor the be all end all... But you don't seem to like much of anything, and that's a you problem, not just a place problem.
this is some BS. "you are defensive, self important, change everything but no one cares if you do. but you are the problem." what is you smokin, friend? you ain't even about to make sense. where you comin from? forget your anger management meds? i wish nyc wasn't full of people like you, but i know daaaammnn well it can be. myob and don't get it twisted.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:55 PM

371 posts, read 625,009 times
I have lived my whole life here and yes I have NYC fatigue. I feel like I see the pros and cons objectively and in my opinion the pros are just not worth it. This is a great city to visit but not to live. I am not blind to the city's faults.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:00 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
this is some BS. "you are defensive, self important, change everything but no one cares if you do. but you are the problem." what is you smokin, friend? you ain't even about to make sense. where you comin from? forget your anger management meds? i wish nyc wasn't full of people like you, but i know daaaammnn well it can be. myob and don't get it twisted.
NYC isn't "full" of such people, but yeah I guess you're right. Dude is spasing out a bit though. By the way you type I thought you were from down South.

Last edited by twist07; 05-09-2012 at 07:08 PM..

Old 05-09-2012, 07:25 PM

no honey...just black. born and raised in the bronx. and typing on my phone which is a pain in the ass.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Sigh-- okay, this is my last response.

I am not concerned with image or status. I appreciate that you re-read the responses and my posts, but some how I am failing to convey that the constant running around, hours to travel a few blocks, massive expense and crazy rat-race that is my experience with NYC leaves me very unimpressed. I DON'T like that stuff. I have relocated recently to get AWAY from that sort of vibe/lifestyle.

I can't refuse to go to NYC for work, nor can I choose to stay somewhere more authentic than Midtown. And yes, I have pals with money. Certainly not all my pals do. My amazement was that anyone would spend so much to live with mice. Just sayin, this place has got to have *something* going for it. What it is, I don't get.

Its easy to make a judgment about some anonymous poster. And NYC is FULL of people who love it and let me know how much they love it. When I am in NYC, even the things I enjoy have the fun sucked out of them by inconvenience, cost, crowded conditions. Take sitting under a tree. Last time I did that in Central Park, dozens of tourists with loud kids parked themselves close by and started yelling at one another. I moved. Three more times. I could never be alone to read a book. I love the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, but find that after a long day of dealing with egos from the folks I have to work with, I don't have the energy to visit. It wears me out.

Thanks to all of you who have let me know I am not alone.

I got the message-- if you don't like NYC, there is something wrong with *you*, not the city.
You really don't get it. Plenty of people, including me, mentioned some serious negatives about living here. Apparently all you chose to see in people's comments is that if you don't like NYC, there's something wrong with you.

That's not what I said, and not what most others (or perhaps any others) said. What I said is that you need to look inside yourself because you are taking stock too much in others' opinions. I did not say something is wrong with you because you don't like NY. It's fine if you don't like NY. Plenty of people don't.

Also, you ARE defensive, and are acting in an unpleasant manner. I gave my opinion, which you should EXPECT on a message board when you start a discussion thread, and you attacked my intelligence by insinuating I don't know what a metaphor is. I answered you, and you stated I should "lighten up." I don't get why you would solicit opinions on a discussion board and then attack people for giving their opinions.

Perhaps tomorrow or next week you should read back through this thread with the benefit of a little bit of hindsight and you will see that you are acting out. If it's NYC that's the problem for you, then figure out how to leave it behind. Obviously something is eating away at you and if this thread helps you figure out what that is, then great. If it doesn't, you just wasted all our time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City