Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 01:36 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,081,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
I been telling you it's happening. It's over man, game over.

I have many associates on the Wburg waterfront, you know those new developments, I am there a few days a week visiting some friends. I hear it all! No kidding too. The 'Shwick' they highly interested in, 'New Gardenia' (northern ENY) is next target after the 'Shwick'.. LMAO
I thouoght I coined the word Shwick. That word needs to be trademarked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 06:49 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,242,308 times
We're holding the line at Queensboro Plaza. Although I did see one young art yuppie go by on a unicycle a couple of months ago...probably the advance recon scout of the planned hipster invasion.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:11 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,816,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
I been telling you it's happening. It's over man, game over.

I have many associates on the Wburg waterfront, you know those new developments, I am there a few days a week visiting some friends. I hear it all! No kidding too. The 'Shwick' they highly interested in, 'New Gardenia' (northern ENY) is next target after the 'Shwick'.. LMAO
LOL at the 'New Gardenia' comment... Wouldn't be surprised if the one hipster that lives on that block gives his area that nickname... Still doubt there will be any hipsterfication in that area at all... The neighborhood right now as it stands has the lowest white population it's ever had... The immediate area of East NY/Brownsville/Woodhaven/Ozone Park, etc. isn't gaining white population (hipsters/yuppies) included, it's losing the white population... In addition, the crime rate only continues to rise over the last few years... It's just too far and too grimy of an area to ever make any significant noise... Reason why other hoods that were on par or even in those times, were worse areas than ENY now changed was due to their proximity to Manhattan... That isn't the case with this neighborhood...

Old 08-27-2012, 08:51 AM

34,169 posts, read 47,414,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
LOL at the 'New Gardenia' comment... Wouldn't be surprised if the one hipster that lives on that block gives his area that nickname... Still doubt there will be any hipsterfication in that area at all... The neighborhood right now as it stands has the lowest white population it's ever had... The immediate area of East NY/Brownsville/Woodhaven/Ozone Park, etc. isn't gaining white population (hipsters/yuppies) included, it's losing the white population... In addition, the crime rate only continues to rise over the last few years... It's just too far and too grimy of an area to ever make any significant noise... Reason why other hoods that were on par or even in those times, were worse areas than ENY now changed was due to their proximity to Manhattan... That isn't the case with this neighborhood...
A little off topic, but yo ENY got new blocks! I was driving around there last weekend....mad brand new buildings! One of the new streets is called "Locke Street." I was near Gateway.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-27-2012, 09:08 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,616,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
A little off topic, but yo ENY got new blocks! I was driving around there last weekend....mad brand new buildings! One of the new streets is called "Locke Street." I was near Gateway.
Yeah they took all of that area that was nothing much but landfill and old body dumping sites for the mafia and turned them into streets for people who want to live by JFK or Gateway Mall.

It kind of cracks me up considering I used to be able to have that area as a view from my balcony when i grew up in Starrett.

As for the push, I am definitely seeing them pop up here and there in Borough Park and Bensonhurst little by little. Kensington is definitely done for.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:55 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,816,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Yeah they took all of that area that was nothing much but landfill and old body dumping sites for the mafia and turned them into streets for people who want to live by JFK or Gateway Mall.

It kind of cracks me up considering I used to be able to have that area as a view from my balcony when i grew up in Starrett.

As for the push, I am definitely seeing them pop up here and there in Borough Park and Bensonhurst little by little. Kensington is definitely done for.
Man they really are taking over the city...It's crazy...

One thing I will say is that at least they're getting smarter... They're moving into the previously affordable working class areas and seem to be finally sacrificing proximity to Manhattan for safety... Even walking around the East Williamsburg/Bushwick area I don't see the push I used to see 2, 3 years ago... I remember walking through those borderline areas back in 2010 and seeing nothing but hipster folk walking around but now walking around the same area recently it definitely seems to be more mixed as if the native locals have finally accepted what is around them and no longer seem to be scared of living next to the white transplants/hipsters. And when you combine this with the fact that crime has shot up in these areas past couple of years, hipsters are no longer as eager as they used to be to rent in these areas and are looking for safer alternatives...

The only rare cases of hipsters that I do sometimes see around shady areas like Central Bushwick or Eastern Bed-stuy and wouldn't be surprised if one or two made their way to the "ok" part of East NY in Cypress Hills like the one Henna mentioned who is living on Atlantic and Bradford are the really broke ones who can only afford these types of areas. Other than that, as I mentioned in my previous post, I don't see this as a trend and it's not that I don't want it, because East NY needs something done to it... Not sure this is the answer, but changes must be made for this area as well as Brownsville...

And @ seventhfloor are you talking about that "hole" area... They finally cleaned it up? I gotta pass by there one of these days and check it out...

One thing that I'm glad to see about the area is that while crime still hasn't dipped the way other neighborhoods have, they've definitely cleaned up that hood a lot... I don't even recognize my old block anymore on Pitkin between Barbey and Jerome... Those new houses all around that bodega we lived on top of used to be vacant lots... Used to play with my cousins in there all the time... Those low income buildings may not always attract the best people, but they definitely make the area look a million times better than empty lots and burned out apartment buildings...

Old 08-27-2012, 11:13 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post

Theres another demographic force thats going to outbid them in Boro Park, and is already pushing into bensonhurst and kensington. And shalom to you to.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:41 AM

34,169 posts, read 47,414,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Man they really are taking over the city...It's crazy...

One thing I will say is that at least they're getting smarter... They're moving into the previously affordable working class areas and seem to be finally sacrificing proximity to Manhattan for safety... Even walking around the East Williamsburg/Bushwick area I don't see the push I used to see 2, 3 years ago... I remember walking through those borderline areas back in 2010 and seeing nothing but hipster folk walking around but now walking around the same area recently it definitely seems to be more mixed as if the native locals have finally accepted what is around them and no longer seem to be scared of living next to the white transplants/hipsters. And when you combine this with the fact that crime has shot up in these areas past couple of years, hipsters are no longer as eager as they used to be to rent in these areas and are looking for safer alternatives...

The only rare cases of hipsters that I do sometimes see around shady areas like Central Bushwick or Eastern Bed-stuy and wouldn't be surprised if one or two made their way to the "ok" part of East NY in Cypress Hills like the one Henna mentioned who is living on Atlantic and Bradford are the really broke ones who can only afford these types of areas. Other than that, as I mentioned in my previous post, I don't see this as a trend and it's not that I don't want it, because East NY needs something done to it... Not sure this is the answer, but changes must be made for this area as well as Brownsville...

And @ seventhfloor are you talking about that "hole" area... They finally cleaned it up? I gotta pass by there one of these days and check it out...

One thing that I'm glad to see about the area is that while crime still hasn't dipped the way other neighborhoods have, they've definitely cleaned up that hood a lot... I don't even recognize my old block anymore on Pitkin between Barbey and Jerome... Those new houses all around that bodega we lived on top of used to be vacant lots... Used to play with my cousins in there all the time... Those low income buildings may not always attract the best people, but they definitely make the area look a million times better than empty lots and burned out apartment buildings...
not quite the hole but close to it

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-27-2012, 12:19 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,396,133 times
I'd have to disagree with anon's statement...maybe it applies in Brooklyn, but certainly not the Southern Bronx. There continues to be an influx of all kinds of residents (From 163rd south). Hipsters are certainly not the driving force in the Southern Bronx, as it is predominantly working/middle class colored folks, however the Hipsters continue to come in. It may be that neighborhoods like Bushwick have already incorporated jacked-up pricing even before the nabe gets nice, so could be people are choosing not to pay the inflated prices and looking elsewhere, like the Southern Bronx.

Also I found it funny that you stated "recently it definitely seems to be more mixed as if the native locals have finally accepted what is around them and no longer seem to be scared of living next to the white transplants/hipsters." I don't think anyone has ever been scared to live around Hipsters....I think it is more like the Hipsters were scared to live around the "natives" and are not any longer. If anyone has accepted their surroundings, it is the Hipsters..

Old 08-27-2012, 12:39 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,621,719 times
Kensington?? I went on a pretty long walk around there a couple months ago and saw a total of one hipster. He really stood out. Is there a hipster population center I missed? Are they stealth hipsters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City