Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,959 times

Advertisements

I badly broke my leg while traveling on the New York City subway system. I was picked up by ambulance and sent to the nearest hospital which was Bellvue Hospital in downtown Manhattan. This was my first and LAST trip to New York City. I am your typical Midwestern "boring" individual. I was forced to stay over night. My floor consisted of a young late 20 something year old Irish American Ironworker with a broken pelvis and back from a fall(and his girlfriend that he demanded to let stay in the room which nearly lead to an arrest), a 50 something year old Italian wiseguy who was working as a contractor for his brothers business and collided his work van with a MTA bus(and who would call up his wife yelling and cursing every night at 3am when he could not sleep or call his brother yelling out "BETWEEN ME YOU AND THE WALL" while the entire floor heard him and I was tortured by his wiseguy arrogant accent), an elderly man on his death bed wearing a "World War II veteran" hat with several pins who could not barely move and was hard to understand when he talked(except when he started calling the West Indian nurses racial slurs), an African American male who had an infected bullet wound (from what he said he was shot in the 1990s and never had the bullet removed), an elderly Asian man who tripped and broke his ribs, a homeless mentally ill Vietnam veteran with faded tattoos and a long white beard who was ran over by a car and couldn't stop talking or complaining about the nurses(get a job before you complain about others) and several other characters who could barely speak English(A couple of illegal Mexicans and a Russian man who could have been Russian mob connected) and several drug relapses who ended up badly injured. I did not fit in well, I may have been too polite and the nurses took advantage of that. Luckily it was only a three night stay.

The floor was cramped with patients outside of rooms in stretchers, there was a criminal across the way handcuffed to the bed with a cop guarding him. I will NOT make a trip back to NY. I was treted horribly like I did not know what was good for myself. I was FORCED to stay AND pay. This is the epitome of the Liberal healthcare system and NY state. What a joke. That was a fun time and I am still catching up on sleep for work(I did not get any while I was there)

I was subject to nonstop moaning, yelling, cursing and threatening by the patients. Every minute there was an "OHHH" or an "AHHHHHHH" or a "F***!!!!". The nurses were outnumbered greatly and basically saw each patient once or twice daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 02:56 PM

155 posts, read 586,880 times
Boo Hoo.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:58 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,921,639 times
you were tortured by the wiseguy's arrogant accent?

lol, that's funny actually.

sounds like the hospital demographics mirror the city's.
Wiseguy, Irish-American contruction worker, Russian mob, Illegal alien, Ramdom black dude, etc.
you're missing a jewish guy in there though.

As for the point of the thread, in all my interactions with the NY health system, which include my mom being hospitalized for 2 months, my wife for 3 days, and a close friend for 4 days none of them had any problems.

I guess it might depend on what hospital you are sent to.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:06 PM

9,253 posts, read 24,143,410 times
What you got to experience was a preview of where healthcare is headed in the US.It has little to do with NYC and nothing to do with Liberals.It has everything to do with the crumbling of our healthcare system which is one of the most capitalist,non liberal systems we have,based purely on profit.Unfortunately for you,the nearest hospital was the one where everyone who has no insurance is sent.

How horrible for you to have to mingle with Irish iron workers,Italians,destitute veterans,African Americans and such

It could be worse.I was in a car accident in Virginia years ago and taken to a beautiful,pristine ,quiet hospital where they improperly set my leg after a break.They had the perfect work environment but they didn't know what they were doing! I still limp and feel the pain because of the lousy medical care I received there.I hope the folks at Bellevue at least fixed your break properly !

Scary,right ? Wait until the general breakdown envelops the rest of the country !

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-25-2012 at 03:28 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 03:21 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,600,210 times
Bellevue is a public hospital. It treats everyone, and as a consequence everyone goes there. Whaddaya expect?

Old 05-25-2012, 03:47 PM

5,530 posts, read 8,813,659 times
Because Bellvue is a public hospital that takes everyone, regardless of ability to pay, they get the toughest cases and as a result have a highly regarded ER when it comes to car wrecks, shootings, mental illness and other truly life threatening stuff. I've heard doctors themselves here say that for these types of critical situations Bellvue is hard to beat. Their docs have the experience and know how to deal with almost anything.

So instead of complaining about the dreadful ambience, count your blessings that you were treated by some of the most skilled ER staffers in the country.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:48 PM

19,108 posts, read 14,100,014 times
I'm fairly certain this is a made up post. This dude managed to hit every stereotype he could think of (or see in the movies). While most of that is true, it's true if you spend some time walking around different neighborhoods experiencing different people and things. You're not getting all of that on one floor of Bellevue in only 3 nights. Not to mention, 3 days for a broken leg? Yeah sure. He didn't mention surgery, so I'm calling BS on this whole thing.

Next.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:50 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,122,835 times
Welcome to America.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'm fairly certain this is a made up post. This dude managed to hit every stereotype he could think of (or see in the movies). While most of that is true, it's true if you spend some time walking around different neighborhoods experiencing different people and things. You're not getting all of that on one floor of Bellevue in only 3 nights. Not to mention, 3 days for a broken leg? Yeah sure. He didn't mention surgery, so I'm calling BS on this whole thing.

Next.
Did I have to mention EVERYTHING?

Old 05-25-2012, 04:09 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,803,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
That was my initial thought as well. It truly reads like a story. Give that script to Larry David and he'll turn it in to a sitcom better than Seinfeld!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: