Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 12:35 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Very interesting post, OP. I can't say that I argue with much of anything you've posted. However for some, like me, I grew up around here and wouldn't *ever* want to live anywhere else in America. I could, however, move out to the suburbs which would address most of the issues you've dealt with- especially if I had a family...
That's what I'm thinking. Why doesn't OP just move to the suburbs instead of going back to Texas or heading to the west coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 12:43 PM

82 posts, read 218,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That's what I'm thinking. Why doesn't OP just move to the suburbs instead of going back to Texas or heading to the west coast?
Not to speak for OP, but the suburbs of NY don't do much for me. They're expensive, the housing stock isn't that nice, and they're still suburbs. If I ever move to a suburb, I'm going to one that gives me the best of that lifestyle (light traffic, cheap houses, nice weather, easy living, low taxes, etc). Which is emphatically not here.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:53 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varan View Post
Not to speak for OP, but the suburbs of NY don't do much for me. They're expensive, the housing stock isn't that nice, and they're still suburbs. If I ever move to a suburb, I'm going to one that gives me the best of that lifestyle (light traffic, cheap houses, nice weather, easy living, low taxes, etc). Which is emphatically not here.
I can understand that. But personally, I prefer many areas of even north Jersey to most other suburbs in the U.S. Just the fact that you can easily hop on a train and go to New York City would be a plus.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:13 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varan View Post
Yeah the property taxes alone on a modest house in the burbs can be 20k a year or more depending on where it is.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:14 PM

21 posts, read 65,590 times
Bless you for this post. This is VERY helpful and I will be checking your blog and looking for any and all posts you have made. Of all the reasons I've been given for not moving to NYC, the weather is the only thing that terrifies me...and by weather, I mean winter. It helps to get a real sense of what I'll be facing. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:18 PM
zdg zdg started this thread

845 posts, read 1,973,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ses View Post
Bless you for this post. This is VERY helpful and I will be checking your blog and looking for any and all posts you have made. Of all the reasons I've been given for not moving to NYC, the weather is the only thing that terrifies me...and by weather, I mean winter. It helps to get a real sense of what I'll be facing. Thanks.
The weather is one of the reasons we would never consider the suburbs here. One of the many, many reasons.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:30 PM

428 posts, read 970,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
The weather is one of the reasons we would never consider the suburbs here. One of the many, many reasons.
That's why I don't understand. NY is so amazing to everyone, but they stay here a few years and leave. Everyone I know says "I could never raise a family here though." If it's so great, it should be great enough for the most important thing in the world- for family. And it's not. And how long are we in the bar scene age- 5 yrs max? It gets old. I guess I came here too late to appreciate it. My bar days were in my early twenties and I'm long past that even at 29. My older coworkers who still live in the city at 60 yrs old are born and raised in NY. Everyone else, leaves

I'm Floridian and I have absolutely no problem with the weather. I hate wearing the same 2 coats for 5 months but I can't complain with this year's winter. It's the rough tiring lifestyle that wears...

Old 06-06-2012, 03:37 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,498 times
Quote:
My spouse and I looked into the NYC suburbs too. We didn't feel like we'd have gain much by moving there. We'd still be wracked with high taxes, especially high property taxes (but not get much in return) and an extra long commute if either of us had to work in the city. That and the houses are rather dumpy. It just made more sense to look at another state.

I'm just speaking for myself here: Moving to the NYC burbs is the same as leaving NYC for good. You're saying goodbye to the public transit, the shops, restaurants, the dense urban jungle, and the vibe. Sure you can take metro north down if you want to, but in essence you're visiting the city and not living there. We saw that the suburbs of other states had much more to offer in all areas, so that's where we're headed next.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:42 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
LOL! What? NY metro winters are NOTHING like the more quite and slow paced states, cities, and towns in the Mid West or New England! We get, what, maybe 2 or 3 "real" snow storms in an average season. Minisota is buried in a foot of snow from October to March LOL!

Old 06-06-2012, 03:46 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Yeah the property taxes alone on a modest house in the burbs can be 20k a year or more depending on where it is.
key word being "depending on where it is". I am in Nassau County, and property taxes on our home is $6,000/year. Since we both work and live on LI, we dont pay NYC taxes either.

As much as I hate the high price of NYC living, I would not live anywhere else. I love the fact that I can spend weekends in Manhattan catching shows, museums, eating at great restaurants, checking out Fashion Week, taking dinner cruises by Chelsea Piers, etc - and not pay a fortune for doing so. We save a lot of $$ by living in the 'burbs..of course, we do not have children (no desire to) so that lets us save even more $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City