Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 02:25 PM

4 posts, read 16,136 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I need some help. My landlord renewed my lease in May and changed my late fees from $10 per incident to $10 every day the rent is late after the 5th. So as of this month since I didn't pay until the 16th, he wants me to pay $110 in late fees! Is this legal?

I read that a landlord cannot charge late fees that are excessive/disproportionate to any probable loss. Does this law apply to UNREGULATED apartments as well? If yes, is there a link anywhere on the net that clear states so?

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 02:48 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
I imagine it's legal, and it's also very smart.

The original flat $10 is extremely low, and obviously isn't much of a disincentive. Personally, I would have chosen something in-between, and when it's per day the LL also risks getting into a dispute over timing. ("I dropped the check off Tuesday!" "Yes, but I didn't receive it until Thursday!") I'm sure this did the trick in terms of making you prompt in the future. I would guess your only recourse is if you weren't notified in writing previously.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I imagine it's legal, and it's also very smart.

The original flat $10 is extremely low, and obviously isn't much of a disincentive. Personally, I would have chosen something in-between, and when it's per day the LL also risks getting into a dispute over timing. ("I dropped the check off Tuesday!" "Yes, but I didn't receive it until Thursday!") I'm sure this did the trick in terms of making you prompt in the future. I would guess your only recourse is if you weren't notified in writing previously.
Thanks for the reply. You said you "imagine"...Got anything concrete?

Old 06-16-2012, 05:43 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydaybh View Post
Thanks for the reply. You said you "imagine"...Got anything concrete?
Is your building in Manhattan?

Old 06-16-2012, 05:51 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,692,542 times
most likely this is a gray area legally. i don't know if there is a limit a landlord can charge in terms of a late fee but i have been told that if something like this where you have been consistently late but yet all paid up at the time you are taken to court it would still be hard to evict you. i think the only way to get a definitive answer is by being taken to court and seeing what the judge says. obviously this is a potent deterrent to paying late.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:01 PM

900 posts, read 2,373,126 times
Is there a particular reason you can't pay on time? Per if you did this would be a moot issue.

O'k, down to the real nitty gritty. Yes there is a legal limit a LL can charge for late fee. I forget NY's limit but you could google to find legal information.

By law you have to be given a grace period, meaning if your rent is due on the 1st of each month you are either given a 5 or 10 grace period to pay without incurring a late charge. So by law what your LL is doing is illegal and at most if you're paying on the 16th then he could only recoup $50 if your rent was due on the 1st with a 10 day grace period.

To my knowledge I also believe it's illegal for your LL to charge a late fee by day beyond the cap (again you'll have to find out what is legal for NY state), so in other words if you're late either you'll have to pay $10, $15, $25, $50 (whatever LL has set) no matter what place you're in in the month after your grace period has expired.

Please either ask an attorney or look up this information for yourself.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:06 PM

208 posts, read 464,396 times
Hope that taught you a lesson not to pay your rent late again!

Old 06-17-2012, 05:33 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
I think the fee schedule would stand up in Court.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:51 AM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
Sorry, I don' t know anything concrete, but you could probably call one of the tenant associations around town, and they'd probably know. However, keep in mind that although I know the fee is annoying, you are basically in the wrong, and I'm not sure how much of a fight you want to trigger over this.

I'm suddenly wondering if you had a pattern of paying late, and he including the clause for exactly that reason.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:38 PM

Thanks for all of the responses. For all of those who ASSumed I have a history of paying late, I don't. My mother had surgery and I had to subsidize her rent for the month and my second check came in late.

From what I found here: TenantNet :: View topic - Late Fees
It seems that no LL should be charging over 5%, because late fees are supposed to be REASONABLE whether the apt is regulated or unregulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City