Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 03:30 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times

Advertisements

I support the co-op people, they are simply trying to have a decent QOL, something some people have absolutely no concept of unfortunately. Like others are saying though, it's going to be a long battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 03:30 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
that's enough to discourage gentrification
for some parts of the city right there. it
won't work in every hood.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:33 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I can agree with Harlem's statement. I see this type of housing sprouting near me also and it's bad news. The revitalization of the Southern Bronx will occur with or without some lowlives who want to keep the party going. The reality is, the majority of residents don't act like this, and these same people are a nuisance to everyone else..the difference is the new residents are complaining and loudly, making a big stink about.

I say don't stop, and you will win this battle. Don't be discouraged..the only power these lowlives have is that they have nothing to lose and can simply do what they want. However, using my strategies from the prior page, you will get them to move somewhere else. These people talk the talk but don't walk the walk..they are basically fairly lazy and will quickly give up and move on somewhere else...that's been my experience.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:00 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
FYI - Few of the ghetto people around here live in rent stabilized apartments.

Moreover, landlords have trouble evicting all problem people from all rentals. This will increase, because the city is hysterical about the growing numbers of the homeless. At the same time, they are also far more sympathetic to working - and middle-class people, and the ghetto types, such as those who proliferate around here, will be replaced by them as regards traditional rent stabilized units.

I do not know about the Bronx, but in Harlem, ghetto people inevitably live in "social service" buildings, owned by West Harlem Group assistance, ECDO, etc. These were, or actually usually still are, city-owned buildings given to these groups provisionally. It is my guess that this industry is growing, and rapidly, because more and more of these places spring up every day. I don't know if all are rent stabilized, but in any case, that matters little because they will not be evicted.

Such buildings are absolute bottom, nuisance and violent tenants, poorly maintained, ill-trained and unresponsive "management." Actually, I have realized that the "management" personnel are likely drawn from the pool of tenants they manage. And as is the case with all developments, none of the higher-up people actually live in or near the neighborhoods they ruin with these groups of tenants. This is a serious issue in Central Harlem. It is all marketed under "affordable housing" - but it is not. Not at all. It is housing for the generationally poor, career welfare recipients and that whole lifestyle.

Maybe the housing where you live are more Project-like, city owed buildings which obviously the city isn't going to evict ghetto people BUT ghetto areas that don't have city-owed Projects in the area, the apartments are rent stabilized. Trust me when I tell you that it's the rent stabilization law that keeps these ghetto people put in the neighborhood. The landlord has to renew their lease. Now think about it...even if the landlord had the desire to remove such ghetto people from his building, he legally can't because he is not allowed to NOT renew their lease.

Now imagine for a moment that RS was finally reformed giving the Landlord the power to renew or not renew a RS tenant at his own discretion. Now the landlords can easily remove ghetto tenants from his building by simply not renewing their lease. The ghetto tenant can bi*ch and cry all they want but the landlord is not obligated to renew their lease. As a result, the ghetto tenant is removed from the building and hopefully neighborhood and now it's one less ghetto person living on the block. Repeat process and before you know it, the neighborhood is cleaned up and ghetto free. Now the resident can continue living in a quiet, peaceful manner. This all can be real if only Landlords are able to not renew a RS lease at their discretion.

Last edited by hilltopjay; 06-25-2012 at 04:10 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 04:10 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
The city will never allow that because they are required by law to house every man/woman/child. Every tenant/family you remove becomes the problem of the city, and they already have too many people to house. By keeping them in your building, it's your problem, not theirs...so that's why it won't change...and it's the same reason why it is so difficult to evict tenants...the city doesn't want to have to house them.

The only thing you can do is do your best at not allowing them in your building in the first place. But if they are already there, not much you can do besides paying them to move out.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:14 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The city will never allow that because they are required by law to house every man/woman/child. Every tenant/family you remove becomes the problem of the city, and they already have too many people to house. By keeping them in your building, it's your problem, not theirs...so that's why it won't change...and it's the same reason why it is so difficult to evict tenants...the city doesn't want to have to house them.

The only thing you can do is do your best at not allowing them in your building in the first place. But if they are already there, not much you can do besides paying them to move out.
Well if that's the case, Harlem, south Bronx and other "ghetto" neighborhoods will NEVER get better within a reasonable amount of time. Definietely not in my life time.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:17 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post

And this is why if I ever buy a building in the city, it will be vacant so I can start from the beginning. My parent's made the smart choice by purchasing property outside of New York state where such laws don't allow undesirable tenants to remain in place.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:28 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Well if that's the case, Harlem, south Bronx and other "ghetto" neighborhoods will NEVER get better within a reasonable amount of time. Definietely not in my life time.
Yes, they will. The problem types will be removed. I just wonder where they will put these people.

I have noticed that many people around here are losing in housing court, mostly holdovers, and they are people who should be evicted. This also seems to be happening quickly.

There is a new building on St. Nicholas, the Balton, the higher rents are around $2,500 - I think. Well... I would bet that the developer did not tell people that literally every surrounding building, directly north-south-west-east, is a social service building. One is for ex-cons and includes a dozen registered sex offenders. One is for "very low income" - means no income, ever - and this is the least negative building. Another is for mentally ill homeless people. And so on. This is all public information, available if people look, but I doubt people do. Did I mention that projects are just a block over on FDB.

The point is, the upper income limit for that building was around $125,000 (?), and I do not think those people will necessarily put up with it. They will move, or they will stay and fight. And I do not think the social services will win.

The same will probably happen in the Bronx.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:00 PM

988 posts, read 3,255,638 times
Another factor is that "Social Services Buildings" aka subsidized housing have land use agreements with the city that prohibit any landlord removing the low-income element from those buildings in exchange for tax breaks. The vital aspect to improving these areas are for competent property management that vigorously screen their applicants and evict problem tenants including criminals. There are many decent low-income people who deserve this type of housing. Unfortunately, a good portion of residents in subsidized housing don't care about their communities because of entitlement.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:49 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Nice read. Everyone wants to make a home out of urban decay. Typical tradititional generational poverty nyc ghetto hood. This type of neighborhood must have been like that since hoodrat Irish and Italians live there who then were replaced by Puerto ricans and ghetto blacks from dixie and later but recently Dominicans and Mexicans. I agree with seventh, they should not have moved to that area. If I was looking for a better quality of life on the cheap I would move out of NYC entirely. I feel sorry for the coop residents how have to hear hip hop and merengue blasting all day during the summer. Also note its really hard for hood minded people to change their attitudes and will hold an entire community hostage based on their attitudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City