Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 PM

168 posts, read 338,253 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have been coaching/teaching a young man who has expressed interest in becoming a security guard. He is employed but has a low-paying delivery driver job where he has to supply his own gas and car. He is interested in more of a viable career path. He said he would like to take the 24-hour training and then work his way up. I don't know anything about the security profession - what it pays and how to get the better paying jobs, what the career options are for someone who is willing to pursue multiple certifications, etc. We found Pace University's training program, which seems to be a safe bet because it is at Pace, but the classes are a little spread out so he wouldn't be able to apply for a job right away. Can anyone recommend a place to get training? There was an add for High Profile Security on Craigslist where he could pay $240 for the training and start work within days. Is this a legit/normal practice?

Also, my student is also open to exploring the CDL route because that can open a lot of doors as well. The difficulty is that he cannot be out of work for a whole month while he attends driving school and the free programs that he has shown me so far all require that. If he gets a permit, are there companies that would hire him and allow him to get his CDL on the job? Without a truck to drive, I can't see how a person would get the CDL any other way. It's not like driving a car where your parents can take you out driving with a permit. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 11,314 times
Default Security Training

Hi I just completed security training in April and just got my lisence number this week. What he will need is to complete an 8 hour and 16OJT training course.Now there are a lot of scams out there so beware. go to this website it will point you in the right direction: http://criminaljustice.state.ny.us/o...rovedschls.pdf
$240 is a lot of money. I paid $75.00 for my 8hr and 16hrs at Premier training school at FJC in Long Island City Queens but I have to do my own job search. I wouldn't trust craigslist. Security jobs start anywhere from $8.00 per hour on depending on experience etc.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:01 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
we know people who fell for the promises of great pay in the security industry. took the course ,went through the armed guard training etc.

to be honest the job offerings SUCK!.

no one will ever hire an armed guard cold . with no law enforcement or military careers behind you the odds of getting a job as an armed guard which is where the higher pay is are slim to none.

it was a big waste of money going for the training and unless you want to work for minimum wage find a different career .

Old 07-02-2012, 01:10 PM

168 posts, read 338,253 times
Thanks to everyone who responded. How awful that he was so excited about finally being called for an interview and it might be bogus

Shame on these companies for getting people's hopes up!

Old 07-27-2012, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,091 times
Default I got a place for you

Listen guys, i had an amazing experience at angel outreach solutions they are a staffing agency that staffs security officers. I didnt have any training or experience they covered half the cost referred me to a training school and i was staffed by them. It was a great experience no bs and i got employment. Guys they are companies that do work

Old 07-27-2012, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 12,200 times
I'm a New York security guard (not armed) and I don't really see it as a career in the sense that I could get a promotion of any sort. Fortunately for me I had family connections and didn't need to do the 8 hour or the 16 hour and just got the papers printed for me.

As for the job, it ain't bad. Got a free suit and make $10 an hour. Mostly the job is to just look sharp and sit there but what I found is that the job is mainly filled with older men who have been in security for the better part of their adult life and are very grumpy and complain WAY too much. At some sites you need to learn stuff like learning the fire command station and turning elevator shafts on and off.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:41 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
reminds me of the movie mall cop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: