Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 05:14 PM

7 posts, read 31,833 times

Advertisements

I need help deciding if my family and I should move back to NYC. We have been here for 8 years, and I am very unhappy here. Both my husband and I are employed, have cars and a home (Renting).
We have no family here, we go back and forth for the holidays, I am just tired of all the traveling.
One of my children will be starting High School in the fall, so I think now is the right time. I just can't bear to leave my job and the place where we have lived to go and start a new life.
Yes I have noisy neighbors & pot smoking ones too, so i tell myself it is the same in NYC.
Please help need to decide soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 05:29 PM

41 posts, read 90,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorkerchic View Post
I need help deciding if my family and I should move back to NYC. We have been here for 8 years, and I am very unhappy here. Both my husband and I are employed, have cars and a home (Renting).
We have no family here, we go back and forth for the holidays, I am just tired of all the traveling.
One of my children will be starting High School in the fall, so I think now is the right time. I just can't bear to leave my job and the place where we have lived to go and start a new life.
Yes I have noisy neighbors & pot smoking ones too, so i tell myself it is the same in NYC.
Since you are unhappy living there and have family in NYC, it would be good for your family to move. Is there a good job market in your and your husband's career field? Can your family afford the expensive living costs? Are the schools better here? etc. These are all questions that you need to ask before moving back. You should focus on the tri-state area (instead of NYC itself) because you may find a good job in CT or NJ. It's still close enough for you to be in 1-3 hours driving distance of your family.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:41 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,281 times
Quote:
My family moved to Florida in 2005 when my parents decided to take a semi-early retirement. The allure of the beach and warm weather year around attracted them. What was funny was that we never went to the beach and Jacksonville still got cold in the winter.

That being said, what points do you need help deciding? Quality of life differences, jobs, rent prices?
I could give you my opinions on living in both states, and ask my parent's input for a parent's point of view, but I need to know what questions you have.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Gal_88 View Post
Since you are unhappy living there and have family in NYC, it would be good for your family to move. Is there a good job market in your and your husband's career field? Can your family afford the expensive living costs? Are the schools better here? etc. These are all questions that you need to ask before moving back. You should focus on the tri-state area (instead of NYC itself) because you may find a good job in CT or NJ. It's still close enough for you to be in 1-3 hours driving distance of your family.
Thank you for your imput NYC Gal, I am looking in Riverdale, Westchester & Bergen County NJ but rents have really gone up since we left NYC.
I am not a professional neither is my husband. We just have jobs me in the Customer Service area and him as a Driver.
Family members are trying to help us out by telling me areas but I guess it is not the same. They live in Washington Heights.
I don't know if I should quit my job now and stay with them in NYC until I find a place for us to live before school starts in August here in FL?

Last edited by Newyorkerchic; 06-25-2012 at 06:37 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
My family moved to Florida in 2005 when my parents decided to take a semi-early retirement. The allure of the beach and warm weather year around attracted them. What was funny was that we never went to the beach and Jacksonville still got cold in the winter.

That being said, what points do you need help deciding? Quality of life differences, jobs, rent prices?
I could give you my opinions on living in both states, and ask my parent's input for a parent's point of view, but I need to know what questions you have.
I need to find a good school district, a good place to live with my children & husband.
My husband and I are not professionals.
I am looking in Riverdale, Westchester & Bergen County NJ prices are very high.
I lived in Washington Heights, I really like the peace and quiet of FL, so I am avoiding moving back there.
Even though my family lives there, it is a bit different when you move out of an area and then go back to visit. I would move back to Washington Heights if I can't find anywhere else.
I understand we have never been to the beach here, we have a community pool that we rarely go to.
Just need to find happiness again, and it is not in Florida even though my husband loves it here, I don't want to waste any more of my time here. He is willing to go back but I have to do all the wok in finding a place to live.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,028 times
Not to burst the dream, and I'm sorry you're not 100% happy where you are- but it does not sound like you can afford a good life in New York City (area).

Yonkers may have something affordable and close to work- but you're still talking mediocre schools.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,556 times
Florida is an armpit, I don't blame you for wanting to come back. Just be aware that it's pretty tough to get a foothold back into the city without having work lined up, because you'll have a hard time finding housing without poof of income or at least an offer letter from your new employer when you find one (few landlords will lease apartment without it).

If your family is willing to help put you up for room and board while you look for work, that could be a big help.

Also keep in mind that rents have been on the rise, apartments won't be priced like they were 8 years ago.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:43 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,642 times
Quote:
I need to find a good school district, a good place to live with my children & husband.
My husband and I are not professionals.
I am looking in Riverdale, Westchester & Bergen County NJ prices are very high.
I lived in Washington Heights, I really like the peace and quiet of FL, so I am avoiding moving back there.
Even though my family lives there, it is a bit different when you move out of an area and then go back to visit. I would move back to Washington Heights if I can't find anywhere else.
I understand we have never been to the beach here, we have a community pool that we rarely go to.
Just need to find happiness again, and it is not in Florida even though my husband loves it here, I don't want to waste any more of my time here. He is willing to go back but I have to do all the wok in finding a place to live.
What you're looking for is hard but not impossible to find. I recommend Glendale in the area called Liberty Park. There's two parts of Glendale the mainly White/European working middle class side with a mix of hispanics which is a little more expensive, and then there's the other area of Glendale I mentioned... Liberty Park is more on the working middle class hispanic side (mainly Puerto Rican) but it is a good neighborhood and pretty quiet. I recommend this area because rents are pretty cheap for the quality of life around here and if you are interested in buying, you can find good deals in this area. In terms of schooling, most of the schools near this area would be in the Ridgewood area... P.S.68 and P.S.88 are nearby but if I had to choose which is the better of the two i'd say 88. In terms of JHS do not choose a Ridgewood JHS but rather look into Glendale JHS like 113 or 119. There is also a new High school that recently opened up on Metropolitan near to Woodhaven Blvd and metropolitan ave called Metropolitan High School or something like that. I've heard good things about this school as well. While the District itself isn't the greatest, it's nowhere near the worst either... It's right around middle of the pack in terms of NYC schools. Wish you the best.

Other areas to check out would be Woodhaven, Queens (schools in the area are ok...) Kew Gardens (Good district) Eastern Ridgewood (same District as Glendale), Maspeth (same district as Glendale)

Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 PM

41 posts, read 90,869 times
Quote:
Thank you for your imput NYC Gal, I am looking in Riverdale, Westchester & Bergen County NJ but rents have really gone up since we left NYC.
I am not a professional neither is my husband. We just have jobs me in the Customer Service area and him as a Driver.
Family members are trying to help us out by telling me areas but I guess it is not the same. They live in Washington Heights.
I don't know if I should quit my job now and stay with them in NYC until I find a place for us to live before school starts in August here in FL?
Well, you need to find a job in NYC before leaving your life behind in Florida. So try applying for jobs online or asking your relatives if they know someone that could "hook you up" with a job. T best way to get a job here in NYC is if you know someone who knows someone that knows someone, catch my drift? Tell your family to either find a way to get your husband working as a doorman because they get paid very well and get really good medical benefits. If you don't mind cleaning, look into building services (cleaning corporate offices). They get paid $24 an hour and get benefits. One of the companies is Harvard Maintenance Inc. and they have an office in Florida, so you can apply there and tell them you want to work in Manhattan.

Anyway, you should pick the area where you live depending on how much money you can spend on rent. Your best bet is to look in Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island. Things have changed a lot in 8 years here in NYC, but I am sure that you already know that since you have been visiting.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:57 AM

Thanks guys, I guess I have a lot of work ahead of me.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City