Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:24 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,141 times

Advertisements

Cap'n Transit Rides Again: That doesn't mean other options can't work

Good points.

Tear down a redundant artery to encourage mass transit use.

New dense urban development surrounding greenway constructed on existing right away.

Reestablishes urban fabric of the South East Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 09:49 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Until pigs fly or hell freezes over both unlikely.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:23 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
The Bronx River Parkway is fairly used and historic , you can't tear it down without adding more Rail and Bus service in the Bronx and Westchester which is a few decades off. Its used by over 80,000 cars , and buses a day....

Old 06-29-2012, 08:21 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Unfortunately it looks like after almost 20 years of work, they will not be tearing down the Sheridan and nobody has indicated why yet. We should be getting more information at some point...this is very sad to hear. As for the Bronx River Parkway, theoretically I am for shutting down both of these highways and replacing them with local trains, commuter rail, buses, bike paths, mixed income housing, commercial and retail space, and parkland. The more the better....I really don't see why we must cater to people who simply PREFER to drive through our communities, as if we exist solely for their convenience.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:36 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
did the Sheridan ever really ease the traffic congestion in the area? since it is so deep in the East Bronx/Ft Apache area, I could never see out of towners consciously planning to use it except for those who know the area extremely well. Most people use the Deegan from the N or the Bruckner from the NE to get to the Triboro bridge. I always found it odd that as I 895 (a 3 digit interstate # beginning with an even # means it serves as a bypass to a major city double digit interstate#) it runs for only 2 miles tops and ends in a wilderness (E Tremont Avenue in W Farms). it's like, the distance and area it covers is insignificant to all but locals who know the area.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:11 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
As for the Bronx River Parkway, theoretically I am for shutting down both of these highways and replacing them with local trains, commuter rail, buses, bike paths, mixed income housing, commercial and retail space, and parkland. The more the better....I really don't see why we must cater to people who simply PREFER to drive through our communities, as if we exist solely for their convenience.
I've always wondered what the Bronx River Parkway would be like if it was simply just a bus-only corridor with a bike path on either side. LA does this and it seems to work over there - but again, that's LA.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:19 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
did the Sheridan ever really ease the traffic congestion in the area? since it is so deep in the East Bronx/Ft Apache area, I could never see out of towners consciously planning to use it except for those who know the area extremely well. Most people use the Deegan from the N or the Bruckner from the NE to get to the Triboro bridge. I always found it odd that as I 895 (a 3 digit interstate # beginning with an even # means it serves as a bypass to a major city double digit interstate#) it runs for only 2 miles tops and ends in a wilderness (E Tremont Avenue in W Farms). it's like, the distance and area it covers is insignificant to all but locals who know the area.
It's only awkward because it was never finished.It was supposed to continue North and East as an elevated highway over Boston Road,through Bronx Park,Pelham Parkway,etc up to the end of Boston Road and connect back into 95 by co op city.That's why it has the bypass designation.

There was so much opposition from NE Bronx residents that the continuation was scuttled.It would have been a road just like the BQE slicing diagonally across the East Bronx over Boston Road

Old 06-29-2012, 03:46 PM

on a map it curves a bit over to the east in Bronx Park but if it didn't it would end up going right into the Sheridan, providing a direct route to the Triboro (RFK proper these days), and would have provided a decent truckless alternate to the Deegan

thanks for the info on the proposed Sheridan

Old 06-29-2012, 09:35 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,522 times
I still for the life of me am trying to figure out how Robert Moses came up with half of these routes in the Bronx, Westchester, Queens, and Long Island. Half of them are circuitous and make no sense. Wish most of them would go, but unfortunately the worst offender (the Cross-Bronx) is the most vital, so we're stuck. But seriously, the Sheridan serves essentially no value but we're maintaining it anyway.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:37 PM

doesn't the Clearview Expy in Queens dead end at some point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: