Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:10 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,637,059 times

Advertisements

I mean like is there a point when there will actually be too many people for the city to function? It's already way overcrowded. The city was built a long time ago and clearly wasn't designed for so many people. Subways and roads can only take so much. I doubt that all the mass transit/road, etc upgrading can keep up with the growth. Am I missing something here? If eventually NYC reaches its maximum capacity, what will be done I wonder? Will the already ridiculous real estate prices just shoot up even more to a point where it will stop the growth, since most people just won't be able to afford to live here? But then the regular folk won't be able to live here either to support all the necessary infrastructure. Everybody can't be rich. NYC has been growing dramatically so that's why I am just curious what will happen.
NYC Population Growth Highest In Country Since 2010 Census
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 10:15 AM

1,110 posts, read 984,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
I mean like is there a point when there will actually be too many people for the city to function? It's already way overcrowded. The city was built a long time ago and clearly wasn't designed for so many people. Subways and roads can only take so much. I doubt that all the mass transit/road, etc upgrading can keep up with the growth. Am I missing something here? If eventually NYC reaches its maximum capacity, what will be done I wonder? Will the already ridiculous real estate prices just shoot up even more to a point where it will stop the growth, since most people just won't be able to afford to live here? But then the regular folk won't be able to live here either to support all the necessary infrastructure. Everybody can't be rich. NYC has been growing dramatically so that's why I am just curious what will happen.
There are many areas in outer boroughs that are not densely populated.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 AM

I think they are dense enough, and traffic is horrible even in the outer parts of outer boroughs.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:29 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,268,149 times
Quote:
The infrastructure of the city is being updated. There is a new water system going in, subways are being extended, and train stations refurbished. It's not going as quickly as it should but its happening.

I'd say we have a way to go before reaching "maximum capacity". Historically speaking, the city hasn't grown nearly as quickly as it has in the past. Up until 1930, the city experienced double digit growth every ten years or so and by 1980 the city experienced a 10% population decline.

In other words, I think sensational stories about NYC population growth are exaggerated. I think that housing price increases have more to do with the city becoming a desirable and safer place to live.

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Quote:
I think they are dense enough, and traffic is horrible even in the outer parts of outer boroughs.
Maybe dense enough for you, but they are no where near the "maximum capacity" you're talking about. It is entirely possible using just the current level of technology for NYC to double in population. For example, if Staten Island densifies to the average density of Brooklyn, NYC can add 2 million more people... and thats just SI alone. Queens could easily reach 4 million people too, without even approaching close to Manhattan density. All of the boroughs (even Manhattan) still have vast amounts of underdeveloped post industrial land. The theoretical maximum capacity for NYC with current technology is around 20 million people.

8,011 posts, read 11,408,600 times
of course. it just haven't been reached
yet, but i wouldn't want to see it.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:32 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,053 times
On the scale of densely populated (world) cities, NYC is no where nearly as densely populated as Mumbai, Beijing., Moscow, Seoul or countless other places in Asia (and South America for that matter). So yes, there is room to grow particularity in the outer boroughs which is why I suspect neighborhood (re)development will come to play a larger part as the population increases.

As for traffic, it isn't as much of an issue- or shouldn't be as much of an issue- since so many NYers rely on public transportation.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:38 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
NYC is a tall city. It can't keep growing horizontally, but vertically? Hey, the sky is the limit. I already see a lot of mini sky-scrapers poping up in LIC, Downtown Brooklyn and even the Bronx.
Neccesity is the mother of all inventions, and as such, tall, smart buildings will help the city cope with an ever growing population.
As for transportation, techonology will completely overhaul the way we look at city traffic. With driverless cars equiped with sensors, traffic jams will probably be a thing of the past in 50 yrs from now. The rise of bicycles as viable method of transportation will also help deal with the population grow.

We will manage and adapt as we have done throughout human history.
Techonology will be our main tool to achive those goals.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Maybe dense enough for you, but they are no where near the "maximum capacity" you're talking about. It is entirely possible using just the current level of technology for NYC to double in population. For example, if Staten Island densifies to the average density of Brooklyn, NYC can add 2 million more people... and thats just SI alone. Queens could easily reach 4 million people too, without even approaching close to Manhattan density. All of the boroughs (even Manhattan) still have vast amounts of underdeveloped post industrial land. The theoretical maximum capacity for NYC with current technology is around 20 million people.
SI will not densify like BK cuz there is no rail there connecting it to the rest of the city.
I realize other parts have space, but what about people with cars? Roads are already overloaded.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:50 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
. The rise of bicycles as viable method of transportation will also help deal with the population grow.
I'm not a bike fanatic BUT I really do think making NYC more "bikeable" and bike friendly would go a long way in terms of intercity mobility and ease the noise, congestion, and pollution caused by all the traffic. If anyone has ever been to Amsterdam that city is remarkable in terms of how bikeable it is! I've been trying to dig up some history on how it got to be that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City